REVIEW: Dragon Armor 1:72 Bergepanzer Tiger I (60039)

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

REVIEW: Dragon Armor 1:72 Bergepanzer Tiger I (60039)

Post by ChairmanMilo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:17 pm

For my sixth review, I will examine in detail Dragon Armor's "Bergepanzer Tiger I." One of Dragon's many Tiger I offerings, it stands out as a unique model indeed. It represents one of the only Tiger Is converted from its main role of heavy tank into an engineer vehicle. The title is misleading, however, because it was not a "bergepanzer" (armoured recovery vehicle). It was a purpose built to lay heavy demolition charges, so it could be more accurately described as "Ladungsleger auf Tiger I."

The vehicle as one of the 45 Tigers that equipped the 508th Scwhere Heeres Panzer Abteilung in late 1943 before the unit was deployed to counter the Allied landings in Anzion in January 1944. The 508th took it upon themselves to modify one of their Tiger Is by removing the main gun and adding heavy winch on top of the turret. The winch could not be operated from within the vehicle, so as far as I can tell, a crewman or crewmen would have to exit via the rear turret escape hatch to operate the winch under fire and lay the demolition charges. This vehicle was eventually abandoned by the Germans, and when the Allies happened upon it they thought that it was a recovery vehicle - this is probably why Dragon gave it the incorrect designation.

The model is accurate according to the two reference pictures in Osprey Military's "Tiger I Heavy Tank 1942-1945" (page 43). It is configured properly to represent what was a late-production Tiger I when it was converted. It has excellent zimmerit all 'round the turret, on the mantlet, on the vertical hull plates and on the nose. The quality of the zimmerit is excellent and is incredible considering the small scale of the vehicle. It still has rubber-tired roadwheels, but the headlight, armoured covers for the mufflers and commander's cupola are all as they were in real life. Heck, there are even six chevrons on on every track link face for better traction on snow and ice, which the Germans started doing in December 1943. One never has to worry about realism when it comes to Dragon Armor. It is made entirely of plastic but has a metal weight installed inside the hull. The turret moves freely and can be removed. The tracks and running gear are fixed in place.

Here are some pictures!

A profile shot, showing the winch:

Left side profile with better lighting:

Right side profile. Note that the roadwheels are only painted black around the rim, which is one of the only things one could complain about:

Hull rear:

Engine deck. Note winch details:

The running gear. The wheels aren't painted properly and the tracks look like they're fresh off the production line, but then, the whole vehicle looks fairly clean:

Top profile shot:

Weight inside the vehicle:

CONCLUSIONS

This rare panzer would make a fine addition to anyone's 1:72 collection. It is the only truly unique Tiger I release by Dragon Armor. It looks great next to my Sturmtiger (also by Dragon) and my two Tiger Is (Forces of Valor). The original vehicle has been faithfully reproduced in even the tiniest details. The fact that the running gear doesn't work isn't a bother at all considering that this is meant to be a display piece.

The only thing that anyone could complain about is the lack of weathering. I don't know much about Italian weather, but I'm fairly certain that the vehicle would be a bit muddy. I've read that coastal weather in Italy during the winter months is mild and wet. However, Dragon doesn't generally muddy up and weather their vehicles - consider the scale.

I recommend this release to anyone interested in WW2 German armor in 1:72 scale.

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:55 pm

I agree. This is one of my favorite Dragon issues. Very unique.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:00 am

That is nice! May have to get that one great review ChairmanMilo.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Actually, the markings were incorrect. Only the 1st kompanie of the S.Pz.Abt 508 had the markings where the kompanie number is half as large as the platoon and tank number.

And the 1st kompanie only used that type of markings for a short while.

And I think there were total of 3-8 of these that were coverted.

And for what exactly are these things is the subject of theories of hypothesis for a long time, because noone really know for sure. :D

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah, I didn't comment on the markings because the photos I have aren't clear enough to see any markings at all it just didn't cross my tired mind when I was writing the review.

The reference material I have indicates that the winch was for demolition charges, and that seems to be the only sensible use for it - if they wanted to make it a recovery vehicle, they woulda removed the turret, no? That would reduce the overall weight of the vehicle so as to make it useful for vehicle recovery purposes.

I'll have to check the number of conversions. I think my Signal book might mention that...

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:21 pm

ChairmanMilo wrote:Yeah, I didn't comment on the markings because the photos I have aren't clear enough to see any markings at all it just didn't cross my tired mind when I was writing the review.

The reference material I have indicates that the winch was for demolition charges, and that seems to be the only sensible use for it - if they wanted to make it a recovery vehicle, they woulda removed the turret, no? That would reduce the overall weight of the vehicle so as to make it useful for vehicle recovery purposes.

I'll have to check the number of conversions. I think my Signal book might mention that...
Agreed, that's why there so much controversy about it. The recovery idea sounds good, because a lot of Tiger crews used their Tiger tanks to tow away other battle-damaged Tigers, even though this is strictly prohibited.

So the natural thing to do is to convert operational but not combat-worthy Tigers into Bergetigers...

But like you said, that winch can't really do any heavy lifting...I doubt it can even hold up a Maybach engine.

But it's also odd that the Germans would employ these as demolition layers...I mean, the S.Pz.Abt 508 has the Funklenk 313 attached to it, with it's Borgward IV remote-controlled demolition carriers. Seems of a waste to make Tigers into demolition layers, when they already have a specialized vehicle specifically made to do that job.

One other theory is that these are mine-clearing tanks....although I'm not exactly sure how they would do that.....

Man, I envy you small-scale guys. Why can't we have these cool vehicles in 1/18th.... :cry: