What does the wife really think about 18th ?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

What does the wife really think about 18th ?

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:46 pm

So, i'm working on a hasegawa 32nd me163 in the basement, Marla is busy with the clothes dryer and suddenly...

One of our cats attacks the other, knocking my #28 dark blue Avenger a couple of feet to the ground; breaking a landing gear at the wheel. Naturally I cussed out the cat, what else would you do? Without pondering this in any way whatsoever, do not do what I just told you I did. Do not do it. The next few moments, I heard her tell me the following....

"our basement is not a museum!"
"you spent all our money on that?" well, not all of it :(
"what will we do with that when your gone?" really?
"our kids don't want that junk!"
etc....

So, one day, driving by- you will see 17 18th tanks and 93 18th ac laying out at the curb; gently placed I hope.

Watch your mouth next time something terrible and heartbreaking happens to your 18th stuff. The broken wheel had enough surface area to superglue :wink:

Axis Nightmare

Re: What does the wife really think about 18th ?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 pm

My Wife passed away nearly 8 years ago. She was amazingly tolerant of my hobbies and encouraged my Museum work. There were times when I'd proudly show her my latest acquisition and she would just shake her head and walk away but in the end never had any outbursts. I helped her take care of her elderly father and disabled brother. I mowed their yard and cleaned their swimming pool among other things. Compromise was the key. If I was happy, she was happy and vice versa. Your problem doesn't seem to be your hobbies or your wife....it's the cats!! No way would I have cats in the house with my fragile stuff displayed! My dog couldn't care less about any of it but by default is the caretaker and watchdog for it all when I'm not home. I could just see my mannequins getting toppled and planes and vehicles getting knocked off shelves. No cats in my house!

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am

Axis, I’m really sorry to hear your wife passed away and glad she was so tolerant of your collections.

Personally, I’m single and have my own house that I can put what I want in. My former girlfriend really liked my collections and was supportive of my hobby. She often likened staying in my house to sleeping in a museum :lol:

Anyways, I’ve got things in various scales on display in all three bedrooms, the living room, and more stored/displayed in the garage. Most of my 1/18 scale items are on display in the bedrooms and stored in my garage. 1/30 and 1/32 armor and aircraft are dispersed throughout. 1/6 items are also dispersed in a couple of the bedrooms. However I’m reaching the point that I’m running out of room unless I install some major shelving or other display solutions!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:16 pm

I'm very lucky with my girlfriend (of 8+ years now). She's 'tolerant' of my passions, even though she's very much a polar opposite of me when it comes to collecting. She's very minimalist and clean, not someone who would collect a million things, haha! My interests range from a lot of things... I have a massive USAAF collection (mannequins, over 100 different uniforms, oxygen gear, parachutes, crew gear, paper items, massive WW2 home front collection including 40s radios, lots of coca-cola items, etc etc), a huge collection of unopened 21st-century aircraft/vehicles (hundreds) that I got when doing their product archive photos, a large collection of small diecast aircraft, and on top of that all I collect Transformers, Boba Fett related items, and occasionally Jurassic Park stuff. She's even gone out of her way to visit stores and bought me some items (transformers/star wars) when I've been hunting for a certain character. She always says 'I need to stop buying you these things' and 'where are you going to put it?' but otherwise, she's tolerant! Ha ha.

My newest and largest acquisition that she's had to put up with is my 1:1 scale 1944 Willys Jeep (GPW Ford) that I am just about finished doing a frame-up restoration. She's begrudgingly helped me every so often during the restoration and tolerated my taking the entire garage for the last year+. I guess she's a keeper! :-P

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Britt, She's definitely a keeper, as is that good looking Jeep!

T-man, I too am now single and after several years of readjustment, have turned the house into my mini museum. 1/6 and then 1-1 are space killers and tolerant as my wife was, there's no way I could have military mannequins in the living room and dinning room or army Air Corps shirts hanging down the hall. I had one room upstairs, the basement and garage for my stuff. That in itself controlled my acquisitions along with financial responsibilities. I'm retired with the mortgage and car paid off and have more disposable income now than in years past. Space now becomes an issue. I also step back sometimes and remind myself to not be a hoarder/accumulator. I'm confident it's not come to that because I have been able to thin the herd and fine tune my collecting.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:14 pm

My wife thinks I am nuts, but of course she thought that before she agreed to marry me. Married for 28 years now and she is still putting up with me, so far so good.
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 pm
1-1 are space killers and tolerant as my wife was, there's no way I could have military mannequins in the living room and dinning room or army Air Corps shirts hanging down the hall. I had one room upstairs, the basement and garage for my stuff.
When we moved into our current house, it was actually my girlfriend's idea to turn one of the extra rooms into a 'museum', which is where my 'best of' collection items are housed on display. Was surprised she actually suggested that.

lilfry14
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lilfry14 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 pm

My wife says I can have a car parking spot worth of racks in the garage. She says when we get a bigger house it goes in the man cave or storage shed. It helped I had all.the stuff before we were married.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm a little late to this topic but my wife is supportive of my 1:18 collection and custom work.
Over the years she has given me many of the pieces in my collection, this year was no acceptation.
Three 1:18 diecast cars (WWII era) and a few custom kits from Battleground Models.
She's the best!

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:36 pm

I Hear you Fella's , my Mr's only just tolerating my Collection's.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:19 am

I need to weigh in on this topic.
I have been collecting spiked helmets for close to 30 years .
At first she was keen to the helmets coming in . ( how much did you pay for that dead man's hat ?)
Then, this is getting out of hand when will it stop ? She says .
When I reached over 100 I started to run out of room so that collection came to a halt.

While I was collecting spikes I started collecting 1/18th scale items
When a new piece came in , she gave it a week then the piece was banished out to my studio/shed . A 2 story 16' X 32 ' structure.
After the years it to was filled with at least 2 of each that 21st ever made . One to keep in the box , one to play with.
Some times MORE .

Now for past 2 years my real work has fallen on hard times forcing me to sell my spikes and 1/18 stuff.
And I am continuing to do so.
At first she said that she " HATED THOSE DEAD MAN'S HATS AND TOYS ".
Now she considers them both blessings and actually hates that I am selling them off.
The helmets anyway.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zodiacflash » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:55 pm

My collection is pretty much confined to one room in the house. We don't have need for a formal dining room, so that is my HQ. Every once in a while, the wife might say something like "How many of those do you already have," or "I don't know where you're gonna find space for that." But she has her hobbies, so she's always been cool with mine. Sometimes when she sees me tinkering with something, she'll ask what it is, or about the history behind it. Her only real complaint is that it's difficult to shop for me.
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Shomare
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Shomare » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:53 am

Lol, these stories are hilarious, so I will share mine.

My wife has definitely had some mixed feelings about my collections of random "crap" she isn't into (star wars stormtrooper uniform, various wwii uniforms, two large G scale and HO scale train collections, a 70mm German figure collection and my massive 1:18 scale collection (only missing modern non-plane items because I don't like them, a few F16s I may never find in my lifetime (California and Texas) and one F18 blue angel which was fugly due to the crap repaint the manufacturer did over another paint scheme you could see ghosting through. The idea was good, but no thanks.

We have a massive basement to say the least that she does not need to take over, as she already has two ENTIRE BEDROOMS dedicated to make-up and makeup video production for YouTube in one, and sewing in the other! Who needs a ROOM EACH for flipping MAKEUP or SEWING?!?! Ridiculous. Even so, key PHRASES are still often dropped, like "our house is not a museum", "these collections take up so much room!", "all these dang planes! Wait, aren't all these the same exact plane?" Me:"good eye babe! Yes they are, but they are different paint schemes! :)" , "Why do you need all those different paint schemes?" "Babe, let's focus in on two words... Need and want. I never use the first one in regard to my collections. :) And babe, let's ponder another two words... Makeup and sewing..." Another great one is, "This basement is not a library!" (in regard to my WWII books and 19th and 20th century train books?) Me:"Umm, when there are this many books in one place, I think it is safe to call it a library. :)" One of the recent phrases was, "there is no way you are putting that civil war cannon in the front yard!"... Me:"What should we do with the concrete pad I poured for it yesterday? . :)" Sometimes the key is to just get some permanent portion into the works before the word "no" hits the table. And, if it makes it onto the table anyway, I refer her back to makeup and sewing, hahaha. She is actually quite cool, she just doesn't get "my toys" as she calls it all. But who gets makeup and sewing? You can buy blankets way cheaper than it costs to sew crap, not to mention the time! They are a pain to display too, dang. Huge wall junk art. We have a ladder (in the house!) dedicated to displaying custom quilts! What is that all about?

It's late and I need some sleep. Thanks for the laughs, these posts were very helpful for my situation!

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 pm

Funny reading these responses 🙂 My wife isn’t the one I’m actually having problems with concerning my collection. I’m the one who is questioning what in the world I’m doing with so much stuff 🥴

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm

GIJosef your going to open a museum one day...you just don't know it yet. :P

well it sounds good :wink:

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:27 am

Normandy, lol, I bought a shed after I retired and it is full of my stuff, I have three grandchildren now and as they get bigger I plan on introducing them to these toys. With the exception of my antique stuff (which is in a display case) I want to see them play with these toys and use them like they were intended to be played with. I’m in the process of planning their sandbox in the backyard to give them a base of operations. Currently they are 3, 2, and almost 1 years old 🙂 I have a couple Bruder Landrovers that I let the 2 older ones play with under supervision (loose pieces) and they love opening the doors and hood and stuffing little things in the back.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 am

GIJosef wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 pm
Funny reading these responses 🙂 My wife isn’t the one I’m actually having problems with concerning my collection. I’m the one who is questioning what in the world I’m doing with so much stuff 🥴
My wife's been gone for 8 years now. She was like a rudder that kept me from straying off course. Now I'm like you. Every so often I find myself aggressively looking for stuff to add when I have countless projects not complete in 1-1, 1/6 and 1/18. I'll stop sometimes and think WTF are you doing? You have enough to keep you busy if you live to be 80! I finally parted with a group of aircraft models I knew I would never build. So maybe there's hope? The hunt, the find and then the acquisition are a huge part of any hobby. 8)

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 am

My wife has handled it as well as can be expected. She has seen many collections come and go. The problem is when they go something always replaces them. I have too wide of a collection span so it's not just 1:18th. Its model kits, Star Wars, toys I had when I was a kid, 1-1 cars, etc. I bet if I picked one and stuck to it she would let me go crazy with it. I just have too many hobbies. I've heard the rant before for sure. Its been well deserved.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 am

Shomare wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:53 am
Lol, these stories are hilarious, so I will share mine.

My wife has definitely had some mixed feelings about my collections of random "crap" she isn't into (star wars stormtrooper uniform, various wwii uniforms, two large G scale and HO scale train collections, a 70mm German figure collection and my massive 1:18 scale collection (only missing modern non-plane items because I don't like them, a few F16s I may never find in my lifetime (California and Texas) and one F18 blue angel which was fugly due to the crap repaint the manufacturer did over another paint scheme you could see ghosting through. The idea was good, but no thanks.

We have a massive basement to say the least that she does not need to take over, as she already has two ENTIRE BEDROOMS dedicated to make-up and makeup video production for YouTube in one, and sewing in the other! Who needs a ROOM EACH for flipping MAKEUP or SEWING?!?! Ridiculous. Even so, key PHRASES are still often dropped, like "our house is not a museum", "these collections take up so much room!", "all these dang planes! Wait, aren't all these the same exact plane?" Me:"good eye babe! Yes they are, but they are different paint schemes! :)" , "Why do you need all those different paint schemes?" "Babe, let's focus in on two words... Need and want. I never use the first one in regard to my collections. :) And babe, let's ponder another two words... Makeup and sewing..." Another great one is, "This basement is not a library!" (in regard to my WWII books and 19th and 20th century train books?) Me:"Umm, when there are this many books in one place, I think it is safe to call it a library. :)" One of the recent phrases was, "there is no way you are putting that civil war cannon in the front yard!"... Me:"What should we do with the concrete pad I poured for it yesterday? . :)" Sometimes the key is to just get some permanent portion into the works before the word "no" hits the table. And, if it makes it onto the table anyway, I refer her back to makeup and sewing, hahaha. She is actually quite cool, she just doesn't get "my toys" as she calls it all. But who gets makeup and sewing? You can buy blankets way cheaper than it costs to sew crap, not to mention the time! They are a pain to display too, dang. Huge wall junk art. We have a ladder (in the house!) dedicated to displaying custom quilts! What is that all about?

It's late and I need some sleep. Thanks for the laughs, these posts were very helpful for my situation!

I have a 100+ year old live oak in my front yard .
I wanted to put in a Civil War cannon as well under it .
But I got shot down.
Shot down hard !!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller