No more 1/18 Planes?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

No more 1/18 Planes?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:35 am

Was the Merit Graf FW 190 the last mass produced pre-built that will be made? it's been a long time since JSI, "Flight Wings" or anyone else came out with anything. Guess there's just not enough demand for them? Meanwhile, smaller and very expensive die cast planes seem to still be produced. :?

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: No more 1/18 Planes?

Post by Aracula » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 am

Working on a Tempest at this time for production on a small scale. Then still have the Salamander and want to do one of the Russian fighter planes.
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 am

You cottage industry guys are the only ones trying. I'm looking at the big time commercial China producing/U.S. brands that have seemingly given up.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Axis, I think you’re correct that the Merit FW-190 Graf version was one of the last completely new 1/18 models released, and it wasn’t even a US release. There were also the Flight Wing TBF Avenger repaints that were released around the same time, but that’s been it other than the custom work from Pizzaguy, Picklehaube, and Aracula. I’ve had new 1/18 items added to my collection in recent months, but these have either been kits I built or purchases of old items.

Not sure what this all says about the hobby... It is not completely dead, but it’s not where it was 10-20 years ago either. At least the figurative death of 1/18 has given me a chance to indulge in other collecting hobbies, namely the high-end 1/30 scale soldiers, vehicles, and aircraft.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I don't have any more room for 1/18 planes so I am fine with that :D . Plus I have all the 1/18 planes that I wanted especially both the F14 models ....so no complain from me...

Lightning7000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lightning7000 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:44 am

Shipping costs have risen dramatically over the past few years and now that the USPS has switched to a dimensional/weight shipping methodology, the costs are prohibitive, particularly if you are shipping coast-to-coast. Some of the latest Corgi 1:72 scale heavies are extremely expensive to ship now, putting their fate in doubt as well. Couple that with the fact that no mass merchant is stocking the big 1:18 scale aircraft and I think their day in the sun has long passed. Cottage industry-created aircraft are likely your only option at this point.

Marc

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 am

Weren't there 4 formerly 21st Century Toys P-51D's released not too long ago?
One was American Beauty along with the three others.

I do think some 1:18 like the FW-190 need to be run again, particularly since the Graf paint scheme was probably not as appealing as possible others.

The Merit SBD is another. It will be almost unattainable after the Midway movie I suspect.

After all this time there was never a P-51B/C razorback Mustang or a P-40E Warhawk, which could have been sure moneymakers when these large planes were in their heyday. Well known aircraft hiding in "plane" sight.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:49 am

Dauntless wrote:Weren't there 4 formerly 21st Century Toys P-51D's released not too long ago?
One was American Beauty along with the three others.

I do think some 1:18 like the FW-190 need to be run again, particularly since the Graf paint scheme was probably not as appealing as possible others.

The Merit SBD is another. It will be almost unattainable after the Midway movie I suspect.

After all this time there was never a P-51B/C razorback Mustang or a P-40E Warhawk, which could have been sure moneymakers when these large planes were in their heyday. Well known aircraft hiding in "plane" sight.
Those Mustangs were part of the "Flight Wings" offering and that brand seems to have disappeared. Re-issuing the Merit SBD would be a potentially good business move.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 am

I don't keep up with 1/18 any more.
What happened to the JSI 1/18 repaints of the 21st Century Stuka, UH-1, P-38, Tiger I. etc. that were released a few years ago?

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 pm

I agree that shipping costs will do 1/18 in. It’s just gotten ridiculous to ship properly.

The 1/30 scale from John Jenkins is some of the best new stuff I have seen. The paint jobs are incredible.
It’s jist $$$ and less to choose from. I want one of the corsairs in a bad way.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 am

Robc988 wrote:I agree that shipping costs will do 1/18 in. It’s just gotten ridiculous to ship properly.

The 1/30 scale from John Jenkins is some of the best new stuff I have seen. The paint jobs are incredible.

Yes indeed shipping is way out of control .
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 am

Shipping rates have gone up, plus internet sales taxes went into effect with many more states July 1st with the not too recent Supreme Court decision.
Some buyers will start getting taxed on their purchases automatically depending on which state they live in.

Remember the days you could send off a money order to the sellers you bought from?...times have changed.

Anyways on this topic I had forgotten what I was missing in 1:18 and recently purchased a Merit Midway Dauntless.
Had to get it from France. Shipping wasn't cheap, but not unreasonable.
Just in the last couple of weeks this particular plane has gone up considerably. :shock:

Consider yourself lucky if you have one me thinks.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am

Robc988 wrote:I agree that shipping costs will do 1/18 in. It’s just gotten ridiculous to ship properly.

With the virtual death of 1/18, I’ve gotten into the 1/30 scale aircraft, armor, and figures in a big way... The John Jenkins aircraft and armor are fantastic and I have a lot of his WWI, Interwar, WWII items. I’m also collecting a bit of K&C and Thomas Gunn items as well... None of it is cheap - figures are in the $40-$50 range typically and aircraft or armor can cost $200-$300 or more, but the quality is usually first rate and there’s a ton of variety that practically never existed in 1/18 scale. Here’s some pics of my most recent John Jenkins acquisitions, a US Navy F4F Wildcat with deck crew and RAAF Spitfire Mk.VIII with ground crew. I custom-made the bases.

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Man the wildcat is much better than I imagined. I hope they come up with more Luftwaffe stuff too. I love my I-16. I have 2 109s.
I also have the silver P-38 NIB. I haven’t seen one of those anywhere. Wait that’s Figarti. Figarti is also a great 1/30 scale. I have the Figarti IL-2 Sturmovik - awesome

In my opinion Figarti and JJ are equally number 1
Thomas Gunn is ridiculously overpriced.
I’m not a new big fan of King and Country. Panel lines are horrible and they just don’t seem realistic. They have a better variety though.

I guess it’s ok to discuss 1/30 here. It’s not 1/32 or under.

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Why don’t you guys at a higher pay grade than me make a 1/30 section here in this forum - just a thought.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm

That stuff is really well done. Unlike some here, I could never hope to achieve those kind of results with building my own. Too bad they aren't 1/32 instead of 1/30. Is that a metric thing?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Metric measurements would have no effect on scale. 1/32 of anything is still 1/32. It's a ratio.

K&C and some of those others just make them the size/scale they want without regard to the plastic kit market. You could ask the same question about 1/16 vs 1/18.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 pm

So you have 1/48 vs. 1/50, 1/18 vs. 1/16, Now 1/30 vs. 1/32 vs. 1/35. Just off enough to make them not compatible to be used together. 1/48 and 1/72 as well as others have references to fractions of inches equaling a foot. The good old American ruler. I remember the old Monogram 1/48 kits had "1/4 inch = 1 foot" on the boxes. That's not just a random ratio. 1/72 scale measures an even 1/6" equals 1'. Seems the odd but popular 1/43 scale has its origins in model train track gauge measurement. I asked a train guy at a model railroad show what scale the trains were and he responded with a gauge like O, or G. I don't recall which. Then I asked what scale is that? He laughed and said trains aren't by scale, they're by track gauge. Never got a strait answer. 1/30 and 1/50 just sounds like nice round metric numbers. :?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Don't forget that in the early days of plastic kits, they were mostly 'box scale', i.e., scaled to fit the box they would be sold in.

http://www.finescale.com/how-to/article ... els-part-1

Scroll down to where it says 'Postwar Boom"

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm definitely old enough to remember "box scale". The early Revell, Aurora and Lindberg kits and even some early Monogram kits often had no mention of what scale they were as they too were box scale. That's back in the day when they had giant rivets and raised outlines where the decals went! I think it was when Airfix came to the U.S. that the constant 1/72 scale craze came into effect. Oddly, they made vehicles and armor in 1/76 instead and the control tower was considered an HO/OO (whatever that meant) I guess to get model railroaders to buy it. Getting way off topic here but it's fun to reminisce. :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Always thought 1:32 is the perfect scale for prebuilt large aircraft where the possibility of having a four engine bomber is not beyond the realm as 1:18 is.

A relatively new thing now is you can buy model kits of four engine bombers as well as twins that are available in 1:32 is proof the scale is not "too big."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:31 am

Dauntless wrote:Always thought 1:32 is the perfect scale for prebuilt large aircraft where the possibility of having a four engine bomber is not beyond the realm as 1:18 is.

A relatively new thing now is you can buy model kits of four engine bombers as well as twins that are available in 1:32 is proof the scale is not "too big."
I have to agree with you about 1/32 being an ideal scale, Dauntless. While I love 1/18 and have quite a bit of it and don’t plan on getting rid of anything, a lot of the aircraft and armor in the 1/35-1/30 scale range are just as well, if not better detailed, than the 1/18 models and they take up a lot less space!

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:34 am

tman,

I love your dioramas of JJD planes & figures. They are excellent models. TG & K&C planes are way over price and don't look good since they have less detail and inferior painting compare to JJD's imo.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm

cnq wrote:tman,

I love your dioramas of JJD planes & figures. They are excellent models. TG & K&C planes are way over price and don't look good since they have less detail and inferior painting compare to JJD's imo.
You’re absolutely correct on the K&C and TGM planes, cnq. I have bought a couple K&C aircraft (an ME-163 and HE-162) and also a couple TGM planes (HS-123 & Gloster Gladiator) and they’re not terrible, however, the JJD planes are just way better :D

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Looking at a photo online of the He 162 it just does not look right. The engine housing seems too short and fat and the canopy seems off.

K&C has never looked quite right to me, and even if the price was right I would have passed on any of them. I'd much rather build an accurate kit than buy an off-looking display piece,