MIDWAY movie

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

MIDWAY movie

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:22 pm

For those of you who don't read my Movie/TV News, director Roland Emmerich's new movie is MIDWAY.
This is an interview with Emmerich.

Link: https://www.military.com/off-duty/2019/ ... _190607.nl

[CAT]CplSlade

Re: MIDWAY movie

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm a little worried as Patriot had some errors and Independence Day was pretty stupid. He also seems to like what was done with Pearl Harbour, so should we expect some kind of love triangle thrown in?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:08 am

"Pearl Harbor" was completely a romance/love story with the backdrop of Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle raid.

This one, by looking at the cast, seems to be more a movie about the battle with actual historical figures being portrayed. Doolittle and the Cuba Gooding character were the only non-fictional characters portrayed in Pearl Harbor and there was no effort to portray Doolittle accurately, especially with the horrible casting of Alec Baldwin. :roll: That was insulting. Just hope there's no politically correct nonsense. If you don't hear references to "Japs" then you know we've been had. "The Pacific" did a great job of accurately depicting the hatred of the Japanese.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:51 am

Looking forward to this
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm

What if they made this one 3D with Smell-O-Vision?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm also looking forward to this. Seems to have a great cast.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:15 pm

MIDWAY co-stars Mandy Moore----I hope she's not the Kate Beckinsale of MIDWAY.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Woody actually has a slight resemblance to Admiral Nimitz. Hopefully Mandy Moore is nothing but some relief from all the male testosterone displayed by fighting men. She's not a sex symbol and no Kate Beckinsale for sure!

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Apparently she's playing pilot Dick Best's wife, so I imagine we're safe from a Pearl Harbor catastrophe.

I learned some cool things about Best when looking up Moore's role: He was stationed at Pensacola NAS in 1934, which is in my hometown, and was assigned to the U.S.S. Lexington although it was the Enterprise he flew from at Midway. The Lexington I used to see every time I went across the bay bridge through the 60's and up until I moved away to finish college in 1984. Damn thing's out in Texas now.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm

I've got the Hobby Master 1/32 SBD Dauntless flown by Best. :D

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 am

^^^me too....its nice
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am

"^^^me too....its nice"

Except the pilots.....all Hobby Master pilots look like Roswell aliens. :lol:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:38 am

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am

When I saw the zeros flying down the narrow street between the rows of trees with the CGI looking like they were about touching them on both sides I thought OH NO! I'm sure fighter pilots would have risked that to strafe a street. Yes, as feared, the battle scenes look like Independence Day and the planes are going as fast and maneuvering like the alien ships were. UGH!! And what's with the wings flexing on the B-25? :shock: That was odd.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm

I am no longer surprised at what Hollywood does. Nor by Emmerich, who just churns out garbage disaster films.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:46 pm

You can either have a historically accurate film or a fast paced fantasy action adventure movie. They chose the fantasy action adventure movie. Sure was lucky there were no power lines, telephone lines, telegraph lines or traffic lights strung across that street the Zeros were strafing. :roll:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:02 am

This is from an interview with Emmerich that I think I posted earlier elsewhere:

"Well, first of all, there's nothing left. None of these ships are in their wartime condition. Even when you have some aircraft carrier sitting around, like one in Alameda and one in, I think, South Carolina or in New York, they were altered in the '60s. The flight deck is totally different, et cetera, et cetera. And then they have actually put modern technology in some of the flak turrets.

So we knew from the very beginning we had to build everything. The biggest problem we had was that we had make this indoors because we have to shoot everything with bluescreen in order to constantly have the light to change. So that's what we did. We went to Montreal, where they have a very, very big stage, and built a flight deck or part of a flight deck.

We had to build the planes because even like some Douglas SBDs around, but they're also altered. They have to be altered because otherwise nobody would be allowed to fly them. There are no TBDs anywhere because they probably threw all these planes away because they were not such good planes.

So, we had to pretty much create everything. When you can create everything, then naturally you can be absolutely exact. Our aircraft carriers, both Japanese and Enterprise and the Hornet, what you see is super correct because there's endless research material, photographs and stuff.

I did the production design with the same gentleman who also did "The Patriot," Kirk Petruccelli. He's very, very good in recreating historic stuff. He's very into research.

Then, really, I had to work with a lot of organizations. There's a roundtable group about Midway will all kind of people who have a lot of information who helped us to get this all right.

It's a relatively perfect re-creation of everything."

source: military.com

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:14 am

The ships looked good. The SBDs looked good. The uniforms, sets etc. looked to have been recreated accurately. Therein lies the tragedy. You go to that much trouble for historic accuracy then ruin it with silly CGI action scenes to try to make it look more like a fast paced video game or a Star Wars ride at Disney World than an authentic battle.

"Redtails" was a huge disappointment in the technical flight scenes from the 500 mph P-40s to the silly magical maneuver used. Then there's 30MM cannon shells making small caliber bullet wounds. Hits in the cockpit with 30 MM cannon would leave nothing left of the cockpit or pilot. Conversely, I was impressed with the fiery P-51 crash.

Hopefully the trailer has the worst and there will be some redeemable parts.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:50 pm

If their historical guy was into research he would know the TBD's weren't terrible planes, at least at the time they were designed. The problem was that by the time they saw use torpedo bomber tech had improved and made them outdated compared to the Japanese planes which came later.

He would also know how these planes actually flew, so no it is NOT a perfect recreation of everything.

Sorry, but Emmerich's movies are generally mindless popcorn fests like Michael Bay's garbage except less explosions.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Historical experts and military advisers can convince set directors and wardrobe to get accurate scenery and props but they will get overruled every time they try to keep CGI battle scenes with aircraft authentic by keeping things within actual performance parameters or the laws of physics. Today's Star Wars and video game generation expect zip, zoom, bang, boom. The movie makers give them what they expect.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 am

MIDWAY opens at Pearl Harbor.

LINK: https://www.military.com/off-duty/2019/ ... _191022.nl

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:38 am

https://youtu.be/gOXWSSfbNTo
For those of you concerned about movie accuracy

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:04 pm

This one's shorter and really good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeTm3hp2UQ

Hollywood is always going to take visual liberties for the sake of a rectangle on a screen directly in front of you they must tell the whole story on. Like having the ships too close together. To get multiple ships in the frame to represent a fleet, you gotta have them too close together. Over doing all action is typical in these movies. Like when the four Nell's blow up on the flight line from seemingly one SBD pass. What incredible accuracy! It's really bang for the buck. It's what action movie goers expect. What really bothers me is the planes streaking about at near supersonic speeds like X-wing Star Wars Fighters. Red tails had the world's fastest piston engined P-40's. This movie has amazingly swift SBD's with tremendous flight characteristics that would rival some aerobatic champions.

It's Hollywood and if they don't try to rewrite the true story for some social justice PC crap, it will pass. I don't go to movies but might buy the DVD when it comes out. Hopefully it will have an appropriately dramatic soundtrack. :salute: :flag:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:This one's shorter and really good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeTm3hp2UQ

Hollywood is always going to take visual liberties for the sake of a rectangle on a screen directly in front of you they must tell the whole story on. Like having the ships too close together. To get multiple ships in the frame to represent a fleet, you gotta have them too close together. Over doing all action is typical in these movies. Like when the four Nell's blow up on the flight line from seemingly one SBD pass. What incredible accuracy! It's really bang for the buck. It's what action movie goers expect. What really bothers me is the planes streaking about at near supersonic speeds like X-wing Star Wars Fighters. Red tails had the world's fastest piston engined P-40's. This movie has amazingly swift SBD's with tremendous flight characteristics that would rival some aerobatic champions.

It's Hollywood and if they don't try to rewrite the true story for some social justice PC crap, it will pass. I don't go to movies but might buy the DVD when it comes out. Hopefully it will have an appropriately dramatic soundtrack. :salute: :flag:
in my video they actually do bring up the distance of ships, the battleship row shot at pearl harbor, the speed, and even the crazy hammerhead the sbd does in the trailer. I am going to see it in theaters as I actually think it will be good though I will agree with the video creators that the shot of The Big E entering pearl after the attack would be better for the intro.