I Counted My 1/18 Figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

I Counted My 1/18 Figures

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm

I've been trying to organize things I have stored and make some space. Kept finding little batches of 1/18 figures. Tonight I decided to count how many I had once I rounded them all up in one place. Counted roughly 120 :roll: with some margin for error. This included spare pilots and aircrew but not vehicle crews, drivers or pilots in planes on display. That's probably around another 30? Most are WWII U.S. Army and WWII German. Quite a few are Japanese and some Marines. There are a few Vietnam and Indiana Jones. There's one oddball baggie of modern and misc. I don't even know where those came from and they weren't counted. I also have about another dozen Airborne troopers hanging in the Museum. About 1/4 of the total are still in packages. What's really bad is all the plastic bags full of accessories--weapons, packs, arms, legs, boots and more. This all happened between 2010 and 2016 as I haven't acquired any since. It's what happens when you don't pass up good deals.

Anybody else ever count your figures? I hope many have numbers that will put mine to shame. It will make me feel less a hoarder. :wink:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: I Counted My 1/18 Figures

Post by Rylau » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm really OCD so I have lists of all the figures and vehicles and whether they are opened or not. This is military, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc. I know what I have but not necessarily where it is. Kinda got outa hand but fun.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:34 am

Ya I got you .. forgot I bought an extra spit fire until I moved. Took 1 and half u hall and two garbage been to move...
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 am

I've never counted my figures... It has to be several hundred at this point when I account for pilots and vehicle crews, figures in displays, loose figures stored in drawers inside, a couple boxes of loose figures out in my garage, and then the few that I've kept carded. I've accumulated these figures over the past 16 years since I've been collection the small scale militaria and have rarely sold figures off over the years. I also have uncounted numbers of Star Wars and GI Joe figures (modern and vintage) on top of all that!

Like my dad was telling me the other day, I really need to inventory my stuff!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I've never counted my figures...

Like my dad was telling me the other day, I really need to inventory my stuff!
It's an eye opener. I have figures I don't recall. Probably came from large lots. You get a box in the mail, glance through it then put it in a closet. I've even downsized and still have that many. I guess I'll inventory what's left in vehicles and planes too. :roll:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't know if I want to know how many I have........ :shock: I'll have to start counting,
maybe by the end of the week if I get some time. :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am

normandy wrote:I don't know if I want to know how many I have........ :shock:
That's partly why I've never conducted a serious inventory myself, lol. It scares me how much money I've put into just the figure collection alone if I go with the average cost of $5 for a 1/18 figure at normal retail back in the day...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 am

If you haven't started digging though your garage and counting all your figures yet...DON"T. I had some time a few weeks ago and decided to do an inventory. I almost had a stroke. The numbers are:

162 US WW2
276 Germans
427 Indy Russians
17 Japanese
270 US Modern
10 North Vietnamese/VC
46 Eastern Warriors/Indy Arabs
-----------
1208 Total

This does not include the figures that come with vehicles. And I haven't started counting the PTE figures yet. I think I need professional help...
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 am

MUDHEN336 wrote:If you haven't started digging though your garage and counting all your figures yet...DON"T. I had some time a few weeks ago and decided to do an inventory. I almost had a stroke. The numbers are:

162 US WW2
276 Germans
427 Indy Russians
17 Japanese
270 US Modern
10 North Vietnamese/VC
-----------
1208 Total

This does not include the figures that come with vehicles. And I haven't started counting the PTE figures yet. I think I need professional help...
472 Indy Russians? :shock: Did you buy out Hasbro? Good Grief! I feel so much better now. 8) I think I have more Japanese than you though...

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:42 am

Axis Nightmare wrote:
MUDHEN336 wrote:If you haven't started digging though your garage and counting all your figures yet...DON"T. I had some time a few weeks ago and decided to do an inventory. I almost had a stroke. The numbers are:

162 US WW2
276 Germans
427 Indy Russians
17 Japanese
270 US Modern
10 North Vietnamese/VC
-----------
1208 Total

472 Indy Russians? :shock: Did you buy out Hasbro? Good Grief! I feel so much better now. 8) I think I have more Japanese than you though...
Clearly I am an EBay junkie. I can't stop buying those lots of 50 for $50. Honestly I really had no idea I had that many. Almost embarrassing...
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Years ago I did an accounting of everything I had and realized I had way way too much, so much that I could never display it all and I reached the conclusion that I had to sell at least some. That was when I sold about 40 or 50 custom figures. I now a make it a point to make all of my figures custom so I don't feel like I have more than one of the same one.

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 pm

I am new here and I have 4 figures. All are from Dragon. I have found several TUS XD US figures on E-bay that are also US Army, but have no helmets, weapons or field gear. I would be forever indebted and willing to pay (plus postage) for a copy of each accessory that were available for these guys. I figure that If I have an example of each piece, that I could cast some of them to supply the needs of my new troops.
For vehicles,I have 1 Jeep and just picked up a a 1/18 BBI Uh-60 that was being converted to an MH-60T USCG Jayhawk, from a former crew member of one. I will post photos ASAP.

sdhenke
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sdhenke » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:23 am

Rylau wrote:I'm really OCD so I have lists of all the figures and vehicles and whether they are opened or not. This is military, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc. I know what I have but not necessarily where it is. Kinda got outa hand but fun.
Good to know I'm not the only one.
If at first you don't succeed...GIVE UP!

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm

I started looking....

....and some Russians.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 am

:shock: I'm obviously in the minor leagues here :!:

I have a few companies. Normandy, it looks like you have battalion and regiment strength!

I've always wondered what the production numbers were on these. New guys like Mutt71 probably think like I first did years ago that they are so hard to find (except on eBay at ransom prices) because the old guys had them all hoarded away. What we have has got to be a drop in the bucket of what was produced, at least from 21stC and to a lesser extent from BBI or Dragon.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 am

Having been a 1/6 guy since the late 1990's, I understand how things are. Being a late comer here, I understand that no one cornered the market. I am sure that it took you some time and money to accumulate your collections as I have with mine. It would seem that action figures (1/6 and 1/18) are both in serious decline, due to many reasons such as Hobbyists moving onto the next "new" thing or whatever which leads the Manufacturers to look towards phasing out these lines. There is also the case of 21st, which due to poor decisions, etc, led to it's demise. I find it a sad state of affairs, but, this is what we have to deal with at this time. As long as we stick to our hobby, I believe that we will find ways to keep it going.
Only time will tell.
I had to leave 1/6th due to health issues. I used to travel thousands of miles to put on displays at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA, something that I loved to be able to do, which I cannot due anymore. I have been asked to do similar displays here in my backyard, so to speak and I can work on them right here at home. I applaud you all for your love of this hobby and admire your collections. You are a great group, from what I know, gathered up from all of the threads and posts here. I recognize several Board members here from the 1/6th boards too. Good to see some familiar names.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I am having to move so I decided last month to photograph and invetory my military figures. The total includes duplicates.

WWII 211

Vietnam and modern 35

I have some Indiana Jones figures and vehicles.

Russians 11

Germans 16

Natives 6

I also have male and female civilians from Star Wars, GiJoe, movie characters, Marvel super heroes.

200, some are duplicates

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:28 pm

mutt71 wrote: I used to travel thousands of miles to put on displays at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA, something that I loved to be able to do, which I cannot due anymore. I have been asked to do similar displays here in my backyard, so to speak and I can work on them right here at home.
You are to be commended for those efforts. It's the kind of selfless passions like yours to honor and commemorate historic events that many of us here try to do on a "smaller scale" 8) or in some cases in full scale. I'm sure if you have any photos to share, many of us here would love to see them.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 pm

grockwood wrote:I am having to move
That statement sends chills up my spine. I couldn't even imagine that right now. I've been downsizing in some cases but also accumulating other things at a high rate. Every time I think I've made progress, I slip back into the abyss. :roll:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 am

It's worst then that. I am currently living in my parents home. I took early retirement and moved in to help my Dad after Mom passed away. Dad passed away last year. So I am moving my stuff and their stuff. Dad at one time or other built models of cars, trucks,planes, tanks and even some birds and collected other things. Mom collected glassware, dolls, figurines and was also into crafting. I myself have about 800 1/18 diecast cars,1000 or more Hot Wheels, Matchbox and other manufacterers in 1/64. Of course I have Tanks and planes in 1/18 of mine and Dads stuff that I have added to my collection. So far I have two 10 x 15 storage units.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 am

Dad never threw anything away. Every model box, decal sheet, instructions and left over parts have to be gone through.
Last edited by grockwood on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 am

grockwood wrote:It's worst then that. I am currently living in my parents home. I took early retirement and moved in to help my Dad after Mom passed away. Dad passed away last year. So I am moving my stuff and their stuff. Dad at one time or other built models of cars, trucks,planes, tanks and even some birds and collected other things. Mom collected glassware, dolls, figurines and was also into crafting. I myself have about 800 1/18 diecast cars,1000 or more Hot Wheels, Matchbox and other manufacturers in 1/64. Of course I have Tanks and planes in 1/18 of mine and Dads stuff that I have added to my collection. So far I have two 10 x 15 storage units.
Grockwood sounds a lot like me. I even collect 1/18 scale cars. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the fever.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 am

grockwood wrote:It's worst then that. I am currently living in my parents home. I took early retirement and moved in to help my Dad after Mom passed away. Dad passed away last year. So I am moving my stuff and their stuff. Dad at one time or other built models of cars, trucks,planes, tanks and even some birds and collected other things. Mom collected glassware, dolls, figurines and was also into crafting. I myself have about 800 1/18 diecast cars,1000 or more Hot Wheels, Matchbox and other manufacturers in 1/64. Of course I have Tanks and planes in 1/18 of mine and Dads stuff that I have added to my collection. So far I have two 10 x 15 storage units.
Oh how I feel for you. Went through the same thing with my Dad also passing away last year. He would never part with anything of Mom's for the five years after she passed. I had to liquidate her stuff and I inherited all his. I had a buyer for the house and needed to be cleaned out in less than thirty days. I hadn't retired yet and was still working full time. You have it much worse though since I lived next door and only had to incorporate his stuff that I wanted to keep in my existing space. Dad and I collected glass and porcelain insulators off the old telephone, telegraph and electric lines since the 1960s. I had about 300 different ones. He had over 3,000 from the size that would fit in the palm of your hands to big heavy ones that took both hands to lift. I manged to sell off the bulk of them but kept way too many. I have some that are 120 to 140 years old. Good luck to you!

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Well, I have never counted. About 80 modern BBI desert figures, I showed them previously, but with the end of photobucket, hope this link works:
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 1855-2.jpg
And the same amount of green camo figures. And a lot of different squad of foreigners: 18 british army, 10 African (BBI custom), 12 middle east (old Iraki, Pakistanese? 21st custom), 7 somalian pirates, 10 Chinese PLA (Powerteam Elite from the Chinese market), a platoon of African UN soldiers (BBI custom), 6 wintertroops in white suit on skis (modified GI Joe figures), 30 Navy SEALS (BBI)... and anough pilot crews in green or sand flightsuit for my 13 helicopters, 6 BBI frogmen... Am I reaching 280 figures?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:54 pm

When I counted my figures, the loose ones were a mess. Weapons and accessories had fallen off. I got Ziploc snack bags and started bagging them individually with as much of their gear as I could figure out so as not to have loose accessories at the bottom of boxes or plastic storage drawers. I can't figure out a lot of it and didn't get very far, but what I noticed was a dramatic shift in quality came about with 21st Century at some point before their demise. What a shame. :( They were just coming around. Their last offerings like the 262 and other jets had become much improved. It was the WWII U.S Marines that looked so much better than many others. Not only the paint and detail, but the head sculpts and what appears to be an effort to make the articulation joints less noticeable and the arms not looking like Popeye making each figure a WWE wrestler. Disappointing were the Japanese with small heads and huge oversized bodies and arms with the bad joints. I never bought any of them new. I don't know the exact timeline but it appears the Marines might have been one of their last series. Put one of your older German figures next to a Marine. It's like 1/6 21st C. next to Dragon.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager