FOV

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: FOV

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm

They had a number of the later Unimax FOV models that were out during that company's last year or so, including popular and HTF releases like the tri-color camoflauge Kursk Panzer IV, the Panther, etc. I picked up the Poland 1944 Stug III as I had wanted that version for a while. I think the Panzer IV has sold out now, but it was there yesterday.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 pm

They were probably stock they bought from a collector. Flying mule will buy NIB collections and list them. I think that’s what this was or we would have seen more stock.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:13 pm

COREY:

Just my luck---Flying Mule got the Panther I wasn't looking for.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:18 pm

I know I’m waiting for them to start releasing the new stuff it is taking way to long. I’m loosing my mind.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:22 am

Can the schurzen be removed on the FOV 1/32 Panthers?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am

dragon53 wrote:Can the schurzen be removed on the FOV 1/32 Panthers?
No, they are permanently affixed as part of the upper hull tooling. The skirts can be removed from the FOV Jagdpanther. That is one of the nice things about the 21c 32x Panther as it doesn’t have the skirts and has one more opening hatch - the loader’s hatch on the rear of the turret. The overall detailing on the FOV Panther is better, but both models are still very similar.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for the info. FOV's Panther 412 (Battle of the Bulge) has schurzen, but the real 412 does not. Fortunately, I recently got the Corgi 1/50 Panther 412 which doesn't have schurzen.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Are you sure they are the same 412?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 pm

[CAT]CPLSLADE:

The FOV Panther is Panther #412, "Belgium, 1944" (i.e., the Battle of the Bulge) on the box.
Steven Zaloga has the following on Panther #412 in the Battle of the Bulge:

Link: https://books.google.com/books?id=pE-1C ... on&f=false

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Even then, do we know if that vehicle was shipped without schurzen or is it possible it had and lost them before the pic was taken?

In either case, it is unfortunate they aren't removable. I can rig the schurzen on my 1/35 kits to remain so (as it aids in painting the suspension) so I don't know why they couldn't for this release.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Maybe Tmanthegreat knows if the schurzen can be broken off the FOV Panthers without noticeable damage to the tank.

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 am

dragon53 wrote:Maybe Tmanthegreat knows if the schurzen can be broken off the FOV Panthers without noticeable damage to the tank.
I had thought this before too. Unfortunately, the side skirts are part of the die cast mold and cannot be removed (or at least it would take a lot of effort).
Concerning the tank pictured above (412), that is the late model G panther with the chin turret, another detail FOV overlooked.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am

NHOGGARD12:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll stay with my Corgi Panther #412.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:38 pm

The schurzen are not only part of the diecast mold, but the underlying hull sides are non existant. If you look at the back of your panther, where the side plates are supposed to go under the schurzen there is nothing there. I was pretty disappointed when I too apart one of my FoV panthers and found that out.

-Kevin

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am

I've looked into getting some of the new FOV ship models but the shipping prices retailers are asking are too high. Usually $40 from the US to Canada......UK retailers are even more ridiculous at 75 pounds for shipping. They have the weight listed as over 2kg (4.4 pounds)......which I find very hard to believe as these models are just over 12 inches long. Are they really that heavy?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 am

Aferg, the ships themselves are not that heavy, but the boxes are a decent size, sturdy construction, and come with a variety of additional accessories such as the stand, tube of glue, catalogues, and parts for the models. Combined with the packaging materials, I could see the boxes inching close to 4 lbs... You can see pictures of the box contents for the new FOV ships in one of my posts on the previous page.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 am

thanks Tman for the info. I can see this as being a mistake by FOV. Large boxes are expensive to ship in most parts of the world. And shipping costs that are nearly the same price as the model itself will discourage many buyers, including me. These may sell out anyway but I can certainly see high shipping cost putting a big damper on sales and necessitating lower production runs in the future.

In this modern day where virtually all carriers charge 'balloon' rates (ie charge by volume not weight) streamlined packaging is important.

Lightning7000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lightning7000 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 am

AFerg,
I can see your point, however, what you really need is a retailer in Canada that can service your needs, thereby offering domestic shipping rates, as opposed to working with US or European retailers. Asking the manufacturer to keep stripping away/streamlining the packaging is what happened to the former owners of the FOV line, which ended up being a fiasco. Customers felt as if they were getting a product that paled in comparison to what was initially offered. The packaging is what helps to see the item. Dumb it down too much, and there isn't much to sell.

Currently, the problem is USPS shipping rates. In fact, they are expected to rise again this January, particularly for larger sized items. This is the principal reason why you have seen the demise of 1:18 scale aircraft over the years. The shipping cost is too prohibitive for the end-user and retailers, such as ourselves, aren't making enough to cover the cost, particularly if the item needs to be shipped across the country, much less over national borders.

The Motor Pool

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am

Lightning: thanks for your input, it's interesting. I agree Canada needs retailers but the reality is that there are very few who carry items such as these and when they do the prices are beyond sky high. I can give you all the reasons why it's like this but I won't bore you...suffice to say it's hard to sell items like this in Canada at reasonable prices. So the only choice, normally is to buy abroad. For the most part it hasn't been a problem for me buying my 1/72 planes, model kits etc. The UK and Hong Kong sellers usually have excellent rates and even Germany can be pretty good, depending on the seller.

I rarely buy from the US anymore as the retailers normally ship Priority instead of First Class and in either case I can almost always beat the rates from the above sources. Some UK sellers especially have astonishing low rates.

Canada Post rates skyrocketed a few years ago, similar to what's happened in the US. Both the USPS and Canada Post are required to be self supporting (ie not need taxpayer money) and thus both had to jack their rates way up as a result. Part of the reason that USPS rates to Canada are so high is because Canada Post charges USPS much more than they used to for shipping US origin packages in Canada.

Canada Post's rates are goofy high. Canada is a big country with a relatively sparse population.

Lightning7000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lightning7000 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 am

Hello,
For larger and heavier items, Canada will always be behind the eight ball vis a vis the US. When a carton reaches 4-pounds, First Class Mail rates are dispensed with by the USPS and everything must go via Priority Mail. Second, there's the rate conversion where Canada usually gets screwed over, and third there's the VAT. I can understand getting smaller items at reasonable prices but larger items such as the FOV products, will always be expensive to import. Just yesterday, a Canadian balked at the shipping costs to ship two 1:48 scale Hobby Master aircraft to Canada. Nothing we can do about it.

Earlier this week, a prospective customer from the UK was delighted to see that FOV is making a return, particularly with their 1:32 vehicles. I told him that he might be better off trying to source it from a UK seller, because the shipping costs from the US to the UK will easily match the price of the item. Nothing we can do about the shipping costs and we're not crazy about turning away business, but the fact remains things aren't what they once were, especially when it comes to shipping.

There could be consignment shippers in Canada, that purchase and ship everything to Canada for you to help defray the costs. This occurs a lot on Ebay for people in Asia. You might want to look into it

The Motor Pool