FW 190 as a kit

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: FW 190 as a kit

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Mine made it today also, couple more weeks till i get to open it up though.

Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Pictures of parts still in plastic. Unfortunately, the entire canopy area is clear including everything that shouldn't be. :evil:

You can't really see the large area cut out for the panel to cover the screw hole on the left side fuselage. The direction sheet is not real clear about some sub-assemblies. I think the flaps have the option to be made to move with metal hinges provided.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Looks cool! I am looking for some custom decal makers now to jump in and offer additional sheets. It's nice that it includes the detail decals. I have always had to use very rare and expensive rub on 1/24 scale for my custom fw's. Well guys now it's time to pull out your modeling gloves I would like to see some of these done! That's always been the hard part for 1:18 Scale, everyone who collects it for the most part were the ones from back in the day when everything was pre built and most don't want to take the time or have the skill to build a model. Model building is a dying art.
Last edited by Jnewboy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:53 pm

What is a dying art?

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:58 am

The ability of a few to do what many once did.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:37 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:What is a dying art?
The quality of the art keeps getting better. It's the future of the art that's in jeopardy.
I posted in 1/32 and smaller some model show pictures from Oct. 21. It's one of the largest in the country. The show and swap was well attended as always. There were times when you almost needed a cattle prod to get through the packed aisles. The large vocational school parking lot was quite full. I'd have to say the average age of dealers, contest entrants, and the general public was well into the 50's. A young friend from our Museum was there and looked totally out of place. He was there promoting our Museum and was blown away by the event. There was a "junior" class in the contest I think that had four entries. I don't recall seeing many kids there at all. The big winner was in his seventies.

Young people and kids today in general don't have the attention span or patience to build detailed models. It's all about instant gratification. They're too busy with video games or have their face planted in their I-phone. It's also not cheap and what funds they have or get from Mommy and Daddy go to x-box games and I-phone apps.

There aren't enough flyboy_fx guys around to replace all us oldies...

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:46 am

Axis Nightmare wrote:
[CAT]CplSlade wrote:What is a dying art?
The quality of the art keeps getting better. It's the future of the art that's in jeopardy.
I posted in 1/32 and smaller some model show pictures from Oct. 21. It's one of the largest in the country. The show and swap was well attended as always. There were times when you almost needed a cattle prod to get through the packed aisles. The large vocational school parking lot was quite full. I'd have to say the average age of dealers, contest entrants, and the general public was well into the 50's. A young friend from our Museum was there and looked totally out of place. He was there promoting our Museum and was blown away by the event. There was a "junior" class in the contest I think that had four entries. I don't recall seeing many kids there at all. The big winner was in his seventies.

Young people and kids today in general don't have the attention span or patience to build detailed models. It's all about instant gratification. They're too busy with video games or have their face planted in their I-phone. It's also not cheap and what funds they have or get from Mommy and Daddy go to x-box games and I-phone apps.

There aren't enough flyboy_fx guys around to replace all us oldies...
Well said I can attest to everything he says is true. I'm currently in my thirties and can see what is coming around the bend as far as people younger than me. Very little patience in fact the idea of doing something long-term or taking on something that's not going to be accomplished right then is almost scary for them. It's kind of like the Industrial Revolution all over again and you have to convince someone that it's better to make a broom at home instead of buy one. The thing that's really sad is that when you try to convince them that they will enjoy it especially the finished product and the process they will often look at you with confusion and distrust. I think it's probably Beyond art in our society now it flows into everything that is accomplished that is not done on a computer. They also have no interest in learning how a car works or how to do most things around the house even cooking. Their world is becoming more and more isolated to just cyberspace. Part of this is also from societies ability to take care of everything that they haven't had to do. They have grown up in a world where very little if anything was asked of them and so they have spent their time on their devices.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:24 am

Well, if modeling is dying then why do we have more kit choices in many scales than ever before, or have so many choices of supplies?

I also belong to one of the numerous Google+ sites for model builders and the majority of the1000 members in our group alone are under 25. Also, the United States is but a small fraction of the global modelling community (We account for less than 10% of Tamiya's market, for example). It may be true that show attendance isn't what it used to be, but building itself is as strong as ever.

The death of modelling is as true as the death of the PC. Things may have changed, but the population base is firmer and merely expressing itself differently.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 am

I hope this model is a success and they come out with an A-8. I also wonder what it would take to make some 3D copies of the landing gear to replace what's on the old 21st C Dora?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Axis Nightmare wrote:I also wonder what it would take to make some 3D copies of the landing gear to replace what's on the old 21st C Dora?
Somebody willing to part with their landing gear to provide a base for scanning/copying?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm going to check here locally to see if anyone can do it. The gear in the kit isn't all that great. It's a bit on the spindly side but still way better than what we have.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Now that I've had the kit a few days and have had time to study the directions and parts, here are a few of my thoughts:

First, this compares well with the pre-assembled Merit FW-190A on which it is based. Those of you that did not get the prebuilt plane did miss out, but for me at least it will be a good reference for this kit build! In some ways, the kit is evidence of what would have been the potential of the pre-built model had more been made - things like additional paint schemes, different ordinance loads, etc. The model comes with a 500lb bomb part that could be inserted in place of the centerline tank.

Secondly, the kit appears to be a relatively simplebuild. I want to say there are fewer than 200 parts and without a ton of detail features, it should not take too long to construct and paint this model. By contrast I am working on an HK Models 1/32 B-17G that has over 500 parts in the kit or nearly twice as many if one uses the aftermarket parts... This FW-190 will be easy compared to that!

Thirdly, while the lack of detail on this kit has been deemed a negative according to some other reviews I've read, the model itself does have a lot of room for customization and builders like Jnewboy are really going to like that! I do not plan to do a lot of other customization to my model, save maybe add some seatbelts to the pilot's seat

Third, the landing gear are disappointing. While they mirror the pre-built version in terms of parts, they appear to not be retractable like on the prefinished model! I may decide just to keep them unglued and functioning more like plug-in-place gears so I can display the plane gears up if I want to. But the non-retractable main gears are my biggest beef about this kit so far...

Well, time to start building :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Now that I've had the kit a few days and have had time to study the directions and parts, here are a few of my thoughts:

First, this compares well with the pre-assembled Merit FW-190A on which it is based. Those of you that did not get the prebuilt plane did miss out, but for me at least it will be a good reference for this kit build! In some ways, the kit is evidence of what would have been the potential of the pre-built model had more been made - things like additional paint schemes, different ordinance loads, etc. The model comes with a 500lb bomb part that could be inserted in place of the centerline tank.

Secondly, the kit appears to be a relatively simplebuild. I want to say there are fewer than 200 parts and without a ton of detail features, it should not take too long to construct and paint this model. By contrast I am working on an HK Models 1/32 B-17G that has over 500 parts in the kit or nearly twice as many if one uses the aftermarket parts... This FW-190 will be easy compared to that!

Thirdly, while the lack of detail on this kit has been deemed a negative according to some other reviews I've read, the model itself does have a lot of room for customization and builders like Jnewboy are really going to like that! I do not plan to do a lot of other customization to my model, save maybe add some seatbelts to the pilot's seat

Third, the landing gear are disappointing. While they mirror the pre-built version in terms of parts, they appear to not be retractable like on the prefinished model! I may decide just to keep them unglued and functioning more like plug-in-place gears so I can display the plane gears up if I want to. But the non-retractable main gears are my biggest beef about this kit so far...

Well, time to start building :D
That's a problem that we can fix fairly easy. Build it wheels down but don't fix them in place build up the inside of the wing where you can insert the end of the landing gear tab into it where is not visible but we'll hold the plane up when it's wheels down. When it's wheels up the wheels can be held into place using Zaycon magnets, no those tiny little magnets that are super strong glue two of them inside the wing and one of them inside the wheel well and it will hold the wheel up right in there.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 pm

Jnewboy wrote:That's a problem that we can fix fairly easy. Build it wheels down but don't fix them in place build up the inside of the wing where you can insert the end of the landing gear tab into it where is not visible but we'll hold the plane up when it's wheels down. When it's wheels up the wheels can be held into place using Zaycon magnets, no those tiny little magnets that are super strong glue two of them inside the wing and one of them inside the wheel well and it will hold the wheel up right in there.

Interesting solution with the magnets. If the landing gear are the same size as they are in the prebuilt version (I haven't compared them just yet) then they should be able to fit within the wheel well with the tires and all. I was thinking of keeping them unglued and then using something like poster tack to hold them in place if I wanted them retracted, but I like the sound of the magnets!

But again, I am curious as to why the gears were not made to be retractable, other than perhaps ease of production. On the prebuilt model, the hinge mechanism appears to be simple enough and they even have the working pushrods.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:05 am

tmanthegreat wrote:
But again, I am curious as to why the gears were not made to be retractable, other than perhaps ease of production. On the prebuilt model, the hinge mechanism appears to be simple enough and they even have the working pushrods.
Did the Merit Dauntless kit have retractable gear?

I can't think of another scale model airplane kit designed since the 1970's with a retractable landing gear feature. Lots of older re-issued Monogram/Revell kits still have the feature but it is a left over from when kids built all the models and wanted a functioning toy as well as an accurate scale model. We're now those kids sort of grown up. :P

The guys at the Scale Modeler Contest would grumble at the thought of dealing with a kit with any toy-like movable features. With the time spent on detailed interiors, wheel wells, opened engine and gun bay panels, etc. the thought of hanging a model would be out of the question. I believe HobbyBoss was indeed making production easier as well as distancing itself from a toy-like pre-built to appear as a serious scale model. Just my take on it... :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

I get exactly where you’re coming from, Axis... Just the funny thing is that most of the rest of the model is identical to the prebuilt version, right down to the screw port covers! For the size, the detail is overall simplistic, but the model does give a lot of room for potential custom improvements. Should it take off in popularity, I can see companies like Eduard making photo-etched and resin update sets to make the model even more detailed!

However for me, I am just looking to build the model in its stock configuration and am looking forward to the challenge of attempting a proper Luftwaffe camouflage scheme on it.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

That is exactly why they changed the landing gear for the kit. People who primarily build want all parts to be reasonably accurate, whereas diecast collectors like working features. We all know that requires certain tradeoffs in model accuracy to achieve, but if done creatively doesn't have to detract from appearance other than things like screw hole covers or overly thick gear bearing the weight of plastic that would be too heavy in 1:1 scale.

So, my question is: Did they make the gear and gear covers so they would look right in retracted position? When I first got back into kits a few years back I was making all my planes ceiling queens and the old Revell kits sucked for making so, as the covers wouldn't sit right when you built them up. Now they offer parts for either situation, but all of the 70's molds I have were real PITAs.

I saw a sprue pic online that showed the plughole the gear went in for ground position, and was worried that when lain flat the peg portion might interfere with the edge of the bay, if you know what I mean. Did they take that into account for the kit?

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am

tmanthegreat wrote:
However for me, I am just looking to build the model in its stock configuration and am looking forward to the challenge of attempting a proper Luftwaffe camouflage scheme on it.
Heck, for me it's a challenge just trying to find my tube of glue. :P

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Has anyone started building their FW-190 kits yet? I’ve been slowly working on mine as time has allowed, but don’t have much to show save for the completed cockpit:

The cockpit consists of all the stock parts, save that I added some photo-etched seatbelts from some spare parts I had. They’re not completely accurate, but do add a little more life to the cockpit. The instruments were decals from the kit and a healthy dose of Micro Sol was used to get them to adhere to the raised portions of the panel.

Overall, the kit is pretty basic and straightforward... A lot more like one of the kits made by Pegasus as opposed to the extremely detailed offerings from Trumpeter, HK Models, etc. On the FW-190, part fit has been excellent with need for additional putty and sanding in critical areas. On my model, I am thinking about keeping the wing and stabilizer sub-assemblies separate (unglued) from the main fuselage so they could be removed for storage if need be. I guess a part of me is still looking at this kit being more of a toy I built myself as opposed to a perfect model...

I will post further updates as my project continues :D

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:42 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Has anyone started building their FW-190 kits yet? I’ve been slowly working on mine as time has allowed, but don’t have much to show save for the completed cockpit:

The cockpit consists of all the stock parts, save that I added some photo-etched seatbelts from some spare parts I had. They’re not completely accurate, but do add a little more life to the cockpit. The instruments were decals from the kit and a healthy dose of Micro Sol was used to get them to adhere to the raised portions of the panel.

Overall, the kit is pretty basic and straightforward... A lot more like one of the kits made by Pegasus as opposed to the extremely detailed offerings from Trumpeter, HK Models, etc. On the FW-190, part fit has been excellent with need for additional putty and sanding in critical areas. On my model, I am thinking about keeping the wing and stabilizer sub-assemblies separate (unglued) from the main fuselage so they could be removed for storage if need be. I guess a part of me is still looking at this kit being more of a toy I built myself as opposed to a perfect model...

I will post further updates as my project continues :D
It looks good! He will be fun to see all the different ones everyone makes! I hope to buy the kit this year and hopefully maybe start on it next year after I get a couple of these projects finished. I've also always wanted to make a 1/18 Mistel. I may cast my FSK styro kit of the ju 88 but that would be a lot of money but it would make an amazing kit!

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Good timing! The best aircraft modeling magazine's newest issue is totally dedicated to the Fw190a!!

https://www.amazon.com/Aces-High-Magazi ... B076ZSTSLR

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Progress still continues slowly on my FW-190 model... I’ve got the fuselage completely assembled and am working on the wings. So far, assembly is very easy and part fit is fantastic! I’ve not had to putty anything or fill in significant gaps, at least not yet. If I get the time this weekend, I can hopefully start painting. I will get some more pics up soon.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:49 am

Looking good !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am

A little bit of an update... Painting of the FW-190 is slowly progressing. Priller’s FW-190A5 was finished in a standard RLM 74/75/76 color configuration with RLM 04 (yellow) on the rudder and under the engine. I am using Testors Model Master Acrylics as they have the correct shades and I could avoid mixing. Paint application has generally gone ok, though I’m not entirely a fan of Testors and feel paints like Tamiya just apply better... That said, I do have a few questions for the pros:

— Are the Testors Model Master acceptable colors to use? The RLM 76 seems just a little too blue, IMHO, and references from toys and models to profiles haven’t helped as the colors seem all over the place with some being the blue and others more of a light gray
— Would the Vallejo colors (or those from another manufacturer) be better?
— What are the recommended strategies for getting realistic molting (or “mottles”) ?
I have been researching various methods and there are a lot of them from airbrush spraying to using stencils to dry brushing them. I’m just curious about what those of you that have painted Luftwaffe Aircraft have done.

Thanks for any comments and helpful tips :D

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Thin the paint about 75% and practice on a paper first and go lighter rather than darker, weathering will make it darker so it needs to be a little lighter to start out with. Take some Tamiya flat aluminum and dry brush the worn areas which leaves a nice finish.