Where is everyone?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Where is everyone?

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:10 pm

I want to be more active here again like I was years ago but where is everyone? I see some familiar faces but where is aferguson and many others?

normandy

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by normandy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 am

I'm still here Jon and working on a few customs. I think some members have moved on to other
things/hobbies. Except for you guys that make custom kits for us, there's not much going on in
the 1:18 world. :?

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

I have been lurking the whole time. Wish there was more to talk about. I have a great Star Wars custom ship that I made and was gonna share, (just to put something up) but the this photo bucket thing popped up and shot that down.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 am

I don't follow here much anymore. Lost interest when things dried up. Haven't really moved on to anything new, just kind of stopped collecting in general. Would have kept going on strong had we still received a few new things once in a while. I'm down to a handful of 1:18th now. A few of my favorite planes and a couple of vehicles here and there. Kind of sad.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 am

I've been around and still visit SSHQ at least once a day, as has been my usual routine for many years...

The level of activity is certainly an issue, but I think toyktdlgh summed up the primary issue: lack of new releases in 1/18 scale. I noticed that things on this board dropped off really both after 21c collapsed in 2008, with things limping along well into the 2010-2012 time frame with JSI, Merit, and BBI still being active, but then things really dropped off to their present level.

I think another contributing factor, dearth of 1/18 or not, results from social media competition. Social media platforms like Facebook have really taken over how discussions are carried out on the internet and have made message forums largely obsolete. (This site was active long before Facebook became a household name and ubiquitous form of communication, for example). Facebook has "group" features that allow users to form groups that really function like message boards and provide more instantaneous communication and interaction among members on any variety of subjects. For example, I'm on a Facebook Group for 1/32 scale toy soldiers and models and there is continuous daily activity in the form of new posts, comments & likes, and discussions, even if there has not been any new releases for a while in that scale.

There are also some internal issues that could improve activity and membership around here, but I won't spend much detail on those for the sake of space :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:54 pm

G'day John. I am still lurking around ,but i too have slowed down as well these thing,s take up some serious room . :D Plus i am involved heavily into Military Collecting still.

Cheers
Greg

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:58 pm

FRANCE is still here ! from across the pond :) ... still waiting !

THis website became a routine too ! and i really prefer a Forum : it's easier to find old threads or pictures....

I am seriously thinking in taking the 1/18 market myself : I 've met a French guy working in Hong KOng and missionned him to find all the related toys factory ... I've got a project since 2005 .... Working on it (slowly i confess)

philippe :)
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Problem with facebook and sites using a similar format is that old threads disappear to the bottom of the page requiring lots of scrolling to find. I am on a Google+ site for modellers and after a while they actually cut off at a certain time period, so those posts get lost.

I much prefer traditional message boards. I find armorama and largescaleplanes to be fairly active all day.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:38 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Problem with facebook and sites using a similar format is that old threads disappear to the bottom of the page requiring lots of scrolling to find. I am on a Google+ site for modellers and after a while they actually cut off at a certain time period, so those posts get lost.

I much prefer traditional message boards. I find armorama and largescaleplanes to be fairly active all day.
That is exactly the problem with the FB groups!

But still, I have to wonder, SSHQ apparently got a bunch of new members in June, so where are all of them?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:26 pm

This site is like a ghost town :salute:

zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zodiacflash » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I take a look here every couple of days. With FP Adventure People and 80's G.I.Joe being my thing, I'll probably stick with 1:18 forever. Marauder has cool modern stuff, not too bad on the wallet. Other than that, yeah the hobby is going slow for us. I still take my 1:18-ish PBR out to the pond, and fly my U-2 when weather permits, though that is starting to get a little banged up. My astronaut figures still have a job, too; I still get out to NASA with my boy once in a while to launch our latest creations. And speaking of creations, I'll post pics in the customs section if I EVER GET AROUND TO FINISHING ANYTHING. Still, it's hard when it's slow. My wife says I'm hard to shop for in the first place, and when she asks me what's come out lately, I got nothing to tell her. It's a little dramatic, but this gif shows how she feels when it's down to the wire around Christmas, birthdays, etc:

But all in all, I'm still here.
Last edited by zodiacflash on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 am

Razor's still here!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 am

Here but very busy.

Oh and ... death to photobucket.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Crimson Pilot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Crimson Pilot » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am

I am a very recent member that has been visiting off and on for a while checking out all the amazing custom jobs to get ideas for some customizing I want to start doing myself. I am just about done getting some extra 1/18 to experiment with from a local collector that is phasing out his collections.
Hogan barging in on Klink and Burkhalter:"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"
Burkhalter:"Of course you are. I've never seen you when you are not interrupting."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm still around, but not as much. However, I'm shifting my personal collection to only 1/16 & 1/35 tanks, and 1/32 & 1/18 aircraft.

I've been really swamped with college right now. I still have two more years of it left before I'm finished with my B.S. in chemical engineering! I'm sure I'll be more active then since I'll be open for more custom work of various scales! :)

Oh yea, and screw photobucket!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 am

I still visit every day. I think there's a lot more people on these boards still than they think... if nothing else they are lurking and reading posts. Since 1/18 has dried up, the posts have died down. But when something does come along, like the FW-190, the forum sparks back up. Most forums lately have slowed down due to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc but I think considering how dead 1/18 is this forum is actually pretty active with people using the B/S/T, off topic, etc.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 am

I visit twice a day, morning and evening. It has gotten a lot slower but, the "views" for my 1/18th scale Tomcat conversion keep going up so, people are visiting.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm

I am with Britt and Steve on this i am visiting here at least twice a day. :shock:

Cheers
Greg

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:20 pm

It would be kinda fun to have a SSHQ facebook group!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:It would be kinda fun to have a SSHQ facebook group!
Have you ever tried to find a really old post on facebook?

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm here a few times a day to see whats going on, check on the progress of customs and check the different forums.
Its still a great place, Thanks Britt for letting us hangout. :salute: :flag:

I don't do fasebook :!:

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Yep, many of us still lurking about, waiting for something to happen :)

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:13 am

I'm still lurking in the background. Still haven't gotten to back into building, but keep hoping that something affordable pops up. Can't get into facebook or other social media, prefer the focus of a forum.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Good to see you all! Anyone know how YT is ? Or any of the other regulars who did not respond to this? Flyboy it's good to hear from you, I hope school is going great! I was thinking about all you did for MG34 back years ago, you are a great guy!

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Rylau » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 am

I'm here, being retired I stop in a couple of times a day while making my "internet " rounds. I have all the aircraft but really only do armor. I've bought from Pickel, Grunt and Aracula for the add ons etc. I personally only do 1/18 but the only 1/18 site on Facebook is Tristan's. There are over 50 1/35 sites on Facebook that I look at because of the insane detailing. Regards to all... Bob
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.