1/6 ITEMS

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/6 ITEMS

Post by Jesse James » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:23 pm

Just got my meager few Dragon 1/6 out to sell actually... This is inspiring and amazing stuff to look at though.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Jesse James wrote: This is inspiring and amazing stuff to look at though.
Agreed.

Articles like this one can either inspire doing mods on 21st C. 1/6 toys or totally burst your bubble on what you thought would be enough to make them look right. I'm barely putting lipstick on the pig for mine. Oh well, it's still fun to try. :wink:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/s ... -tank.html

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Just like there are 1:18 hobbyists that do amazing and awe inspiring work, there are also those that do the same in 1:6 scale. If you're a 1:6 hobbyist or considering it and you want to be inspired (or humbled) then take a look at the Facebook albums of Miguel Tavarez. After looking at his work, I can only dream that my work could ever get that good. And the amazing thing is, that I can think of at least a dozen others that do work on the same level.

https://www.facebook.com/MikeyTavarez/photos_albums

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Trying to understand why Dragon would have made the Sherman kit in the less popular Howitzer version rather than one of the 75mm or 76mm versions? :? UPDATE...Found this: http://www.diecast.es/tienda-a/71451/fi ... ragon.html Is this old? Still learning...

Also saw a vendor state the Firefly was "cancelled by the manufacturer". Wonder if it ever made it past pre-orders? 1/6 vehicles are getting harder to find. May never find a Dragon Kubelwagen that's not priced a mortgage payment! I saw a great deal on a Dragon Jeep from Monkey Depot and was lucky to get the only one they had in stock from a cancelled order. :) Monkey Depot is first rate! :salute:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, I finally dragged out the sdkfz 250 Armor Hobbies kit that I've had tucked away for a couple of years. Decided to start the build. I knew nothing of what it should look like other than a few pictures which made me comfortable the kit was very close to the correct shape. There is essentially no interior included past the seats and a stearing wheel. Imagine a large plane model with only a stick and seat for the cockpit! There's some ammo boxes in the rear. I made the mistake (or good decision) to do a lot of online research. Ignorance is bliss. I had no idea what to expect. First thing noted was this is a bare bones kit. Anyone old enough to remember first generation Aurora and Lindberg model kits that were little more than an empty shell will understand. Then I saw pictures of master modeler's completed versions of the kit. Those seats included look more like some '60s art deco chair than a halftrack seat. What little interior there is looks like it came from someone's imagination. So an "out of the box" build was out of the question. I don't intend to spend $400 in aftermarket parts like one modeler did but if I'm going to crew it with nice Dragon figures, they deserve something better. I'm currently in the process of scratch-building a better representation of an interior. It may not be exactly right but it will be an improvement. I looked at lots of photos of different scale kit builds and no two interiors seem to be alike. There were many different interpretations of how the transmission system was set-up. I looked at dozens of actual photos of interiors in service and no two seem to be alike. The equipment and arrangements in the crew compartment seem to be rather personalized by their crew and the mission or dash-number of the vehicle.
I was getting a little frustrated and was considering the version that has a sealed top with only a hatch to simplify things but I've already done a lot that would then never be seen and be wasted. So onward...

To be continued hopefully with pictures.....

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Glad you're starting this kit, Axis, and I look forward to your pictures. The Armor Hobbies SDK 250 is totally a "bare bones" kit, but I think it was designed that way on purpose to allow ease of customization... There have been a ton of customs done and the stock kit even has the capability for R/C conversion.

In my experience, the aftermarket parts seem increasingly difficult to find now, though a few years ago they were more plentiful. Even the kit itself is getting more difficult to find. But it is a nice vehicle and is a good size for 1/6 scale (large but not excessively large). And its a great way to display figures, etc.

Here are some pictures of mine:

This was originally a painted version with the MG shield that I bought from the now defunct Toychest and Treasures 1/6 scale retailer. Never really happy with the original shade of gray (which was not the German gray) I did a complete repaint with weathering and new markings and also added some features like cleats to hold the tools, jerry can rack on the vehicle rear, and a bench seat/stowage bin on the interior.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:30 pm

T-man,

I had been studying those pictures for a while now.

Your pictures you posted were my final inspiration to start the kit since yours looked so good and mine was still in a brown box. :(

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Did you notice any problems with the plastic? Some of 'em are very fragile. It's not a new topic and I've commented on this before and so won't take it any farther then that. Just thought I'd ask as it definitely is a factor when deciding whether to go Topless or make it R/C..

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:20 pm

tpa05 wrote:Did you notice any problems with the plastic? Some of 'em are very fragile. It's not a new topic and I've commented on this before and so won't take it any farther then that. Just thought I'd ask as it definitely is a factor when deciding whether to go Topless or make it R/C..
Yes! A large chunk snapped off the rear near the door after being bumped not all that hard. It glued back in OK. It is also quite warped in places like the floorboard. Don't know if that makes it too flimsy for R.C. :?: One builder described it as a good kit that went together well. Could be a Q.C. issue with inconsistancies in the plastic like some of the 21st Century 1/18 trucks that are brittle and crumble so easily.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:06 pm

tpa05 wrote:Did you notice any problems with the plastic? Some of 'em are very fragile. It's not a new topic and I've commented on this before and so won't take it any farther then that. Just thought I'd ask as it definitely is a factor when deciding whether to go Topless or make it R/C..
I had problems with the plastic on mine. When I ordered it from Toychest and Treasures, it arrived with a huge crack on the rear glacis to the right of the door. The vehicle could have been packed a little better than what they did, but it still attests to the weak plastic... I also had the warped floorboarding and areas where screws between the upper and lower hull parts had snapped. I was able to glue the cracked part in place. When I redid my SDK250, I puttied and sanded the cracked rear glacis so you can't really see it anymore and also put glued the hull sections to strengthen them. The model feels a little more solid now 8)

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:09 pm

The key is the tracks. If dropped they don't just break. They shatter. From what I understand, there was a round of manufacture that simply used bad plastic. There are others from what I understand that work just fine. My suggestions, take a piece of track and drop it just a few inches, squeeze the two ends together in what would be just fine on a like-bodied (similar priced) tank/vehicle and/or simply try drilling a hole in a flat piece of track. Try that a few times and you'll know wucha got.

I added pics of one that I built. You'll notice that I added front/rear bumpers for no other reason as it's R/C and wouldn't last a day without 'em. And as for making 'em stronger? I went down to my local hardware store and bought a couple of "FOR SALE" signs. Cut 'em up and added them to undersides of the entire vehicle. Spare pieces of old 21st vehicle plastic was used as well.

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 am

some pictures of projects in werk
ULTIMATE SOLDIER 1/6 PAK 40
ULTIMATE SOLDIER 1/6 M5 STUART
1/6 251 HALFTRACK

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:15 am

1/6 ARMOR HOBBIES 250 HALFTRACKImage

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Those are some fine looking vehicles Zelda. It doesn't matter the scale, your still a master.
I've got a few 1:6 vehicles..... Kettenkrad, 2 Schwimmwagens and the Motorcycle with sidecar
all 21st century. Maybe when 1:18 gets to small for my eye sight, I'll replace it with the larger scale. :lol:

Nice collections Guys!!!

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:43 pm

Great work there Ken. Yes Normandy is right no matter what the scale you are a Master!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:29 pm

We're not worthy! 8)

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Colonel Nightmare you worded it perfectly....!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 am

Update on the latest "Blog" from the SSCC Cincinnati.

Scroll down past the boring stuff to see what the guy with the handle "Point-Man" has in a museum-like display.

Obviously has near unlimited funds and knows what to do with it...

http://ssccohio.weebly.com/new-sscc-updates-blog

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Maybe this should have been posted here? :?

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =6&t=35240 :)

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Keep this thread alive, Axis :D

The stuff in that blog was amazing! Fun to see what people have done with the 21c stuff in terms of customization.

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 am

that stuff is amazing,thanks for posting !

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:10 am

Just resently completed this ultimate soldier 21st century toys kettenkrad

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Yet another fabulous example. :wink:

You have the equivalent of a scale museum. I am quite envious. 8)

Please give some details on the figure. Brand?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I actually considered bidding on this until I checked the shipping and handling to Ohio. :shock: Well over $40 :!:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/2 ... 00712.html

I had not seen this camo version and the Schwimm isn't so bad in overall shape as their Kubel and at least has potential.

Looks like someone in San Diego unloaded a collection of 1/6 to Goodwill. Check out the spelling of Kubelwagen: :lol:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/Sea ... wthumbs=on

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed May 17, 2017 6:58 pm

I really am getting into the 1/6 stuff, at least what doesn't cost a month's salary. Boxed vehicles from Dragon are getting really hard to find. As much as I enjoy the figures and vehicles, Warbirds are my passion. Not only are 1/6 scale model warbirds somewhat prohibitive in size but big planes in the RC community are either styrofoam that looks terrible up close or balsa that takes a lifetime to build and talent and experience to finish I just don't have. Also, like model railroaders who go by gauge instead of scale, RC guys often go by engine size or wingspan series rather than scale. You often have to get the wingspan dimensions, sometimes convert to inches from millimeters and then do the math to get the scale. We managed to get that T-6 in 1/6 scale for the Museum. The dimensions measure out almost exactly to 1/6 but was likely unintentional. The 109E we have is actually about 1/5 scale which, along with 1/4 scale seems to be popular in giant scale RC. So finding a legitimate and practical 1/6 scale warbird to have with my 1/6 scale figures and vehicles seemed a long shot.

But wait, I stumbled across this:

It's not foam, it's about 80% prebuilt including covering and paint and is about as small as anything other than an ME-263 or V-1 would be.

It just arrived today. I got the optional dummy engine parts, wood prop and the instrument panel but there is a lot of work to do to get it up to quality standards to go with detailed Dragon figures.

I almost didn't pull the trigger. The cowling didn't look right. Something was just off. I studied pictures and determined that the pictured model has the dummy engine glued on too far back and a little low. Whoever did it didn't do their homework. That's fixable. I'll have to scratch-build the cockpit but I've flown in a J-3 and the 1:1 real thing is pretty spartan to begin with. A few of the "for flight" features will have to be discarded or converted to display scale model standards but it's pretty good as is so it won't be a huge challenge. The wingspan is about an inch short of 6' but the length is compact enough to make it manageable to sit on a table. The wings can slide on and off spar rods too. :arrow: The company that makes it is Maxford. They are out of California I believe.

Our Museum's FW-190 may fly before I get it done but I'm happy I found a warbird in what has been increasingly my favorite scale.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Thu May 18, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager