Replacement Metal Landing Gear

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Randy Clark
Private First Class
Private First Class

Replacement Metal Landing Gear

Post by Randy Clark » Mon May 02, 2016 1:25 pm

New to the Board (actually just got back in) and need some replacement landing gear desperately.

1. BBI F-18 Hornet needs it badly.

2. BBI - F-16 Falcon 2nd most important.

3. JSI - F-14 Tomcat. Hanging from the ceiling but I would change it out anyway.

I have found them all from time to time but wasn't displaying all the warbirds then.

"THEY'RE BACK!"

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Replacement Metal Landing Gear

Post by USCGMK2 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Check out Pizzaguy on here or eBay his eBay listing for the F-14 metal landing gear.

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Welcome, or welcome back!

Pizzaguy has great stuff. You might also check out Nick_Karatzides at Anyuta 3D. He has done a lot of 3D printed aircraft parts and might be able to work up things someone else hasn't already done.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =1&t=31897
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

grunt1 wrote:
Randy Clark wrote:New to the Board (actually just got back in) and need some replacement landing gear desperately. I have found them all from time to time but wasn't displaying all the warbirds then.
You might also check out Nick_Karatzides at Anyuta 3D. He has done a lot of 3D printed aircraft parts and might be able to work up things someone else hasn't already done. http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =1&t=31897
@ grunt1, thanks :D

@ Randy Clark, you mean something like this? Would that level of detail be OK for you? However, not made from metal. It is CAD designed according to each modeler's needs, 3D printed with hightec machines and produced in plastic. Cost can be determined by overall size, plastic material quality, item's volumetric dimensions etc. Factory charges from $3.49 to $5.99 per cm3 plus shipping cost (approx $10).

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is Fantastic !!!!!!

well done ! ... as usual !

Philippe
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Randy Clark
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Randy Clark » Wed May 04, 2016 10:14 am

IT looks fantastic. The issue is can the FA-18 or F-16 Falcon be displayed on the 3 D Printed material without collapsing? I'm no wizard but it has a lot to do with the durometer of the material. Needs to be strong enough to stand up but not too brittle.

I am interested.

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Wed May 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Randy Clark wrote:IT looks fantastic. The issue is can the FA-18 or F-16 Falcon be displayed on the 3 D Printed material without collapsing? I'm no wizard but it has a lot to do with the durometer of the material. Needs to be strong enough to stand up but not too brittle.
@ Randy Clark,

I thought you said that you intend to hang the plane from the ceiling so there would be no weight on the landing gear & wheels. Anyway, to get some things straight: The hi-res quality 3D plastic matterial I use for producing custom model kits and parts, is not as strong as metal. Considering that the above pictured CAD designed undercarriage were made as accurate in scale as possible, they are very delicate, brittle and quite fragile. Well, I've already tried on my own built 1/18 scale FW-190 (both D9 and A8 versions), F-16C and F-4U with no problem but you should also keep in mind that I consider myself as a "scale modeler" and I place the planes into enclosed showcase at home or some customer (museum or individual collector) to keep away from curious or clumsy hands. I would never recomend these for people who like to take their 1/18 planes in hands and play dogfights like 5-year old boys before to attempt some carrier landings on living room carpet deck. Additional, as you understand these undercarriage improvement kits need some craftmanship and nip-tack work to remove old ones and fix in place the new ones. Maybe for you or few hobbyist it is not big deal, but for the majority of 1/18 scalers, converting an existing plane would be a nightmare. Actually, almost nobody even attempts to patch up the holes through the screws and fix the imperfections with modeling putty. Speaking from experience only 1% of 1/18 scale planes out there are actual accurate and realistic-looking scale models, while the other 99% are just "overpriced toys for big boys".

Considering all the above, an 1/18 scale hobbyist should think wisely, which team he would like to join - "toys" or "models"? Personally, I discourage people who are mostly orriented on "toys", to try my Anyuta 3D model kits & accessories. That is the exact reason, I prefer to CAD design & produce highly detailed scale model kits, figures & diorama accessories for discerning collectors & hobbyists only and for the people seeking more than another 1/18 plane to hang from ceiling.

After all, the default (ridiculously unreal) landing gear proves to be very durable and ideal for carrier landings on living room carpet deck - just like most people like. You see, the well-known 1/18 scale toys big factories, produce planes according to their target group level. Same time, a 3D printed accurate (but very delicate & brittle) undercarriage, could never survive a hard landing on carpet deck or clumsy & curious hands.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed May 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Hey Randy. Do you mean direct copies of the existing gear, but just in metal?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Randy Clark
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Randy Clark » Sun May 15, 2016 11:42 am

I understand your philosophy on the accuracy of the landing gear and trade offs in precision detail and durability.

I would be happy with the same design (dimensions) but in metal to reduce or eliminate the flexing. I do move the jetcollection around from time to time. Sometmes wheels up, sometimes in down position.

NOBODY plays with the airplanes.

The F-18 is the worst on flexing when down but the Tomcat is a close second.

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Any plans for the other WWII birds? This would be amazing!
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?