Product Review: Hobby Master E-2C Hawkeye in 1:72 Scale

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Product Review: Hobby Master E-2C Hawkeye in 1:72 Scale

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Anyone Get the new Hobby Master E-2C Hawkeye? I picked one up yesterday at my local Hobbytown USA store; the plane was apparently released last week. Below is my brief review and some quick pictures.

Overall it's a very nice model and certainly the largest plane HM has yet done in 1:72 scale as its bigger than the A-26 and A-20. It comes in styrofoam packing like the larger-scale HM planes and not the window box like the smaller aircraft. There's heavy use of diecast throughout the model, with the fuselage and wings being constructed with metal. The tail and other parts are plastic. It's a heavy model and while it fits to the stand securely, the whole thing is a little wobbly due to the weight of the aircraft. HM provides screws to securely fix the aircraft cradle to the support arm of the stand.

The landing gear are the single-piece plug-in-place parts common on most HM aircraft over the past several years, which I like. They have a very tight fit, so some light sanding may be in order...

Due to the way the plane was packaged, you have to assemble the radome, including inserting the support pylons to the fuselage and then placing the dome on the pylons. The radome has the correct spiral design and thankfully not the lettering. Its funny as the picture of the plane on the box shoiws the incorrect lettering on the radome :lol: I actually rather like the fact that one has to assemble the entire radome as with it removed, one basically has a Grumman C-2 Greyhound transport aircraft - and the E-2C doesn't look bad without the dome either.

The cockpit roof/windows pops off to reveal a detailed cockpit that seats two figures. The instrument panel is highly detailed and the control columns and throttle assembly are shown. No other interior detailing was included further back in the plane.

Overall, this model was better than I expected and represents a truly unique subject in 1:72 diecast. I'm very happy with it, gaudy paint scheme and all. Now to await the upcoming Hobby Master EA-6B!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: Product Review: Hobby Master E-2C Hawkeye in 1:72 Scale

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the review Tman. I didn't get this release, since i'd already bought the AF1 version a while ago. I will probably get one of the HM Hawkeye releases down the road though. This does look to be a bit nicer than the AF1 release, although it would have cost me about $30 more to get the HM, so i guess that makes sense that it should be nicer.

Interesting tidbit about the Hawkeye. It was the first ECM aircraft to be designed and built from scratch and not developed from another aircraft....the Greyhound was developed from it, not the other way round like many think.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:02 pm

I picked mine up yesterday. I had a nice little gob of paint on the tail. So, i'll be getting another one Friday. I was told I might be able to keep the one with the paint gob on the tail, so I may put it up for sale cheap.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:15 am

I have the AF 1 version also. I saw the HM version for sale but I liked the simpler paint scheme AF offered. I am sure the HM version is excellent...

snake

Post by snake » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks for the review tman. Excellent as usual.

Model itself looks good, but passing on this release due mainly to the gaudy scheme.

Will wait for a more standard USN scheme before pulling the trigger.