Airstrike Toys?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Airstrike Toys?

Post by USCGMK2 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:28 pm

I happened to run across a F4U Corsair done in FAA colors done by Airstrike Toys. I found some more, while researching on the database. Anyone know about these, quality wise, paint, decals or painted on markings?

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Airstrike Toys?

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:05 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:I happened to run across a F4U Corsair done in FAA colors done by Airstrike Toys. I found some more, while researching on the database. Anyone know about these, quality wise, paint, decals or painted on markings?
They were done by a board member Patrick. He stopped doing customs years ago.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:30 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:I happened to run across a F4U Corsair done in FAA colors done by Airstrike Toys. I found some more, while researching on the database. Anyone know about these, quality wise, paint, decals or painted on markings?

I picked up one of his FAA Corsairs a number of years ago. Very well done, and he did offer a pretty good range. Pretty impressed with it.

Unfortunately, as PH stated, he has stopped doing these, probably about 5 years ago now. :(

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:25 am

On eBay there's one going for $200 ending today. I wouldn't mind getting it but I already bought some FAA markings from CANMILAIR for a custom Corsair I plan on doing.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:53 pm

I currently have Series 1 number 5 of his FAA Corsair repaint. Based on the work he did I introduced Patrick to this forum. Almost immediately both 21c toys and Admiral served him with a cease and desist, however since he only used BBI's models to base his repaints on 21c and Admiral was unable to stop his continuing with production. What did finally stop him was when another modder (pretty darn sure this was Skyworks) threatened him with a lawsuit claiming they had the copyright on all mods and repaints. Ridiculous claim of course, but Patrick had enough and stopped repaints of his own. Patrick did great work.

I still feel this was the start of the decline in 1/18th.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 pm

chunks wrote:I currently have Series 1 number 5 of his FAA Corsair repaint. Based on the work he did I introduced Patrick to this forum. Almost immediately both 21c toys and Admiral served him with a cease and desist, however since he only used BBI's models to base his repaints on 21c and Admiral was unable to stop his continuing with production. What did finally stop him was when another modder (pretty darn sure this was Skyworks) threatened him with a lawsuit claiming they had the copyright on all mods and repaints. Ridiculous claim of course, but Patrick had enough and stopped repaints of his own. Patrick did great work.

I still feel this was the start of the decline in 1/18th.

Glad to hear that you got one of his repaints, chunks. They really were great, and a shame he stopped doing them. :(

Really disappointed to hear that he faced legal threats and issues, and that dic*head Skyworks sounds like he was involved too.

Forget exactly what I paid, but I think it was about $200, and I was impressed with the quality of work, and more than happy to pay that price. An easy recommendation from me.

Looks even better in person. 8)

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm

That's the one that was on eBay. I really hope no one would've tried to go after him on mods and repaints, that would've been pretty pointless.

So are these a mixture of stencils and decals or all decals?

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 am

He'd contacted myself and others offering a full refund, including shipping, as well as prepaying the return shipping for the Corsair, the lawyering was that intense. It was only after his own lawyer reminded him that he doesn't use 21c or Admiral only BBI who was fine with his using their models. All this happened within just a few days after his original posting here introducing himself and his repaints.

As for decals, I'd always thought the markings were painted, but after looking closer some of the stenciling show signs that they might be decals. I'm fine with that since properly applied decals look like paint anyway.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:08 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:That's the one that was on eBay. I really hope no one would've tried to go after him on mods and repaints, that would've been pretty pointless.

So are these a mixture of stencils and decals or all decals?
I saw that to and i was going to grab it but missed out on it . Its a pitty Patric dose not still do this Great work.

Studly

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:26 pm

I "think" that they are decals, but done very well, so it is hard to tell. No silvering, borders, sheen, or anything that would make it obvious it was a decal.

Looking at it, it certainly appears to be painted on, they are done that well.

Chunks certainly appears to have the inside scoop, on what was a great idea, flawlessly executed, that turned into a nightmare for some guy who just wanted to do great customs, and make them available.

Shame on those who tried to stop him, even going so far as to get lawyers involved. :evil:

Know he was going to do some Hellcats as well, but not sure if any of these were actually done.

He also did a great 1/72 modern aircraft carrier flight deck, perfect for modern USN aircraft.

Kind of pissed off that Patrick had to go through all this BS, just because he was doing some fantastic custom work.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Snake Man:
I also have that Corsair that Patrick made. I have it on display. I also have the HMS Collasus "99 Corsair.
As far as HellCats, Patrick was using one I supplied for him to use as samples. I eventually received it back in the colors off the USS Franklin. He did great work, sorry he had to get beat up for nothing. I sometimes wonder what has happend to him. Hope you are beating the heat up there in BC? Pretty warm here South of the Border.
JOC

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 pm

What a bunch of crap! Especially the Skyworks a**hole causing an issue. I hope karma comes around on him.
Todd

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:51 pm

JOC wrote:Snake Man:
I also have that Corsair that Patrick made. I have it on display. I also have the HMS Collasus "99 Corsair.
As far as HellCats, Patrick was using one I supplied for him to use as samples. I eventually received it back in the colors off the USS Franklin. He did great work, sorry he had to get beat up for nothing. I sometimes wonder what has happend to him. Hope you are beating the heat up there in BC? Pretty warm here South of the Border.
JOC

Hey JOC,

Seems like you and chunks were definitely more than just " customers" for Patrick.

And more than a shame what happened to him, and his business/ hobby plan.

Mine is HMS Vengeance, and went for it because I just loved the colour scheme, but was torn between it, and the HMS Colossus you also have. Well done, and if I had known what would have happened, probably would have snagged every custom he did.

Congrats on getting the Hellcat, and not sure if he actually did any of these, before basically throwing in the towel in disgust. Lucky you.

Guys, these are very well done, and if they show up on Ebay, definitely worthy of consideration. Instantly become the best Corsair in your collection. :wink:

And yes JOC, it is hot. Record breaking hot for June. No AC here, so just have to deal with it. :D

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:08 am

I saw the 2 Corsairs and 1 Hellcat on the Database. I should've got it. I know it didn't sell, so it will probably be back up again. They do look good though!

I still can't believe that people tried to go after him legally. If I was the company i'd try to get him to come onboard and do customs or maybe we should make more schemes.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:23 pm

From what I've heard 21st didn't work or play well with others :roll: , Admiral :?: and Skyworks... that
guy was %#^*!*& thief :shock: . There was plenty of money to be made by all, but in the end what did it get them?

To bad about Airstrike, some damn nice work.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:03 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:On eBay there's one going for $200 ending today. I wouldn't mind getting it but I already bought some FAA markings from CANMILAIR for a custom Corsair I plan on doing.

Well it was put up again and i managed to get it, so i am a happy camper. :D

Cheers
Greg

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Studly wrote:
USCGMK2 wrote:On eBay there's one going for $200 ending today. I wouldn't mind getting it but I already bought some FAA markings from CANMILAIR for a custom Corsair I plan on doing.

Well it was put up again and i managed to get it, so i am a happy camper. :D

Cheers
Greg

Well done Studly. 8)

Think you will enjoy it.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes, it went twice without being sold. I wanted it but I have a Corgi version of it, but I did buy the HMS Colossus version from JOC looking forward to it.