Is Bad Cat about to give up the ghost...?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Is Bad Cat about to give up the ghost...?

Post by c44 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Anybody heard anything about Bad Cat Toys phasing itself out? Their website shows little in the way of inventory, and their facebook page is pretty much neglected. I think their hobby arm was basically a sideshow to an equine supply business, but not long ago, they were the main site to check out for new releases (and while there were a few haters amongst us, their blog was once a prime source for news and was quoted here often).
Personally, I'll miss them if they bail...I always got good service from them and forgave their occasional PR gaffes, maybe in part because their packing slips always had a personalized "Thank You" (yeah, I appreciate that old-fashioned business touch)...and like them or not, at this point it's unsettling to see any of our former mainstays fading away... :(
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Is Bad Cat about to give up the ghost...?

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Greetings:

Its funny you brought this up as I was just discussing this with another board member here on Facebook this evening.

They were once sort of the gateway for 1/18 items and especially items from 21st Century Toys. They were able to get a lot of exclusives produced which we probably wouldn't have seen otherwise had they not stuck the money out to get them made. They seemed very thrilled to be a part of the hobby back in the day and the 1/18 scale world. They did have their PR problems back in the early days but people forgave it I think because of the normal good service and the fact people appreciated them visiting the message board every so often.

I think they took a hit when 21st went under. Their main arm in the business was 21st and the majority of products they carried were 21st and BBI. When 21st went down and BBI stopped producing the stuff, they probably lost a good share of their business. They did carry other brands, but I think it might have been too little too late for them. They also really screwed up the JSI F-14 release when they told collectors the paint would be better and that the landing gear was fine. Then when it wasn't, they hid behind a no return policy and other retailers followed suit. And who can forget the famous OnWu post. :)

My last dealing with them was sketchy. Ordered an item and never got an order confirmation or shipping notice. Went a week without hearing anything and emailed them two more times with no response. I was about to have my bank chargeback the credit card when the package showed up on my doorstep. I got the item and all was fine, but no shipping notice or confirmation email was odd. The package (a BBI plane) was also shipped from NJ? This may indicate they aren't even stocking the items they are selling anymore.

Strange how things change in the 1/18 world. I think they contributed a lot to the hobby, but honestly, they had some questionable business ideas and opinions, and I think it gave them a questionable reputation.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

YT

Post by YT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:30 am

Corey pretty much nailed it. I didn't cares for them but it is certainly a commentary on the state of the hobby.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:14 pm

From the bottom of their home page in the News and Information section:

January 1st 2015 -- Clearance Sale on all items!
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 am

I was discussing BadCat with another member recently. I was on their newsletter list but haven't seen one in ages... And it's not for lack of new products coming out in any scale. Lots of stuff in the smaller scales from 1:32 on down. But I think they were a victim of the change in this hobby. I think Corey is on the mark with his observation that the demise of 21c really hit BadCat. 10 years ago, they were the online retailer to shop at. I dealt with them almost exclusively and a good portion of my 1:18 and 1:32 items came from them. But the last few times I dealt wit them, service was comparatively slow and old BadCat just wasn't what it used to be... It's too bad as they were once such a positive and driving force in the military toys/models market!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Concur that Corey said it well.

Think they were too focused on 1/18, and didn't diversify enough to survive if something happened to that scale.

I do appreciate what they have done, particularly with the BBI F-16's and F-18's, but they also did get some negative press, so even 1/18 collectors would stay away from them.

Looks like they are done, which is a shame.

They did do quite a bit for the 1/18 hobby.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:12 am

Snake is spot on. Bad Cat did concentrate heavily on 1/18, perhaps too much. They smartly did cover 1/72 diecast and some 1/48 Hobby Master but didn't push those long term products as strong as 1/18. They also didn't get invested into 1/200 airliners. Those are selling quite well. For the past couple years there has been emerging a new golden age in 200 scale airliner models - Gemini, Inflight, JC Wings, AV200, etc. One should see the prices on ebay of 200 scale rare 747's like Pan Am or British Airways these days. Saw some touch a tick below the $1000 price lately.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:14 pm

They still have a few items, the last remaining 1/18 BBIs are the 2 modern paratroopers for 8-9$. Do you all think one shouldn't try to get them from Bad Cat?

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Greetings:

Actually they did diversify fairly well but I think it was too little, too late when they did in fact do so. By the time they did, many other retailers were well established carrying the items they were now going to try to carry.

Just seems they bet it all on 1/18 and then when they didn't have it anymore, they were in big time trouble.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Oh, lord, that Onwu fella was pretty funny. :lol: No effs are given' at this point regarding BadCat. The thread over at fighting118th is long gone, but boy, was that a complete ****show.

I had bought several items from there before that whole ordeal went down, but not a dime after that.

I mean, honestly...what the hell was Rob Miller thinking doing that with the Chinese forum avatar and "Me no good at Engrish" BS? :shock:

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:55 am

Kind of sad - they were my go-to for new releases for several years.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 am

Too bad.

There was some but they never really got heavily into the diecast scene after the fall of 21stC.

They were the place to get exclusive 1:18 aircraft. They turned out quite a few. I still have all of the ones I bought.
Trying to remember them as they are in storage now.

P-51D Cripes a Mighty, Pearl Harbor Zero, Patricia II F-86 Saber, Kouinouke Zero, a few others, I know there was another P-51D that I have. Mostly BBI. I didn't buy any of the modern jets that have appreciated in value considerably, but some of the mentioned pieces are quite rare these days. I miss the fun times. :(
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

That's all, folks...

Post by c44 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Well, the writing was on the wall, the site has announced:
"We are closing shop and retiring. Now is your chance to get high quality aircraft, ships, and tanks at extremely low prices!"

Not much left in the way of inventory, but there are some bargains to be had.

Maybe not the end of an era, but certainly the end of a chapter...seems a little sad...
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:35 am

Very sad to see.
Not much left to buy on their site.
You might find something...
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am

Not sorry on this end.
Glad to see Bad Cat Rob bite the dust.
JOC

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Think it is sad to see, as they really did a lot for 1/18.

But Bad Cat Rob really got a lot of people angry, and am sure that also probably affected his business a bit.

End of an era, at least in 1/18.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:00 am

OK I will bite .

What did Rob do to pizz people off so bad ?

Can somebody PM me with the story ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 am

pickelhaube wrote:OK I will bite .

Yeah what did he do

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:16 am

???? as a French customer i can only say that BAD CAT is one of the most reliable seller in 1/18. Because in Europe we don't have the same choice as in the USA; I was obliged to buy from some internet sellers and BAD CAT was always ok. it was my 2 cents.

My biggest regret is not buying some special editions like the F16 or the blue angels F18 in 2004 !

Philippe
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

snake

Post by snake » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 pm

He went on the Fighting 1/18 forum, disguised as some Asian " new member", with lots of opinions, and was found out.

Forget the details, but lots of people were pi**ed off at the lack of ethics, etc.

It was nothing terrible, but you did expect more from Bad Cat, than being lied to, and fake posts.

Left people not trusting or liking Bad Cat. Was a big mistake on his part, and am sure cost him some business.

Think others may be able to fill in the details a bit better.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:38 pm

snake wrote:

He went on the Fighting 1/18 forum, disguised as some Asian " new member", with lots of opinions, and was found out.

Forget the details, but lots of people were pi**ed off at the lack of ethics, etc.

It was nothing terrible, but you did expect more from Bad Cat, than being lied to, and fake posts.

Left people not trusting or liking Bad Cat. Was a big mistake on his part, and am sure cost him some business.

Think others may be able to fill in the details a bit better.
wait wait wait was this fake user called MELVIN

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:08 pm

He also did the same on this forum...

I was a longtime Bad Cat customer going back to 2003. When I lived away at college, they were my main source for getting some of the new 21c releases in a variety of scales. Later, it was great as they were located about 150 miles from my home in central CA, I could order something and get it about 2 days later. When they got in new 1:18 releases, I almost always got them first before everyone else on the board (and had that ego boost when I got to post my review before other members :P ) Their customer service and products were at one time impeccable and they were the standard by which I judged other retailers.

However, it seemed that after the demise of 21c, they never quite recovered... They were too tied to 21c and 1:18 products and not diversified enough with other offerings. Their prices went up, shipping got more expensive and slower, customer service declined, and they started to tick people off, including me. The Merit Dauntless was their last hurrah, it seemed, and even that was fraught with controversy.

Around the time that the Dauntless was being released, I made an observation on the board regarding Badcat's price versus one of their competitors (The Flying Mule) and a couple days later received a note on my personal email from Rob trying to shame about my comments. He said something to the extent that how could I say such things being a longtime customer, disparaged Badcat's competitors, etc. It was really unprofessional and out of character. One of the last things I ordered from Badcat after that (21c 1:18 Corsair Pilot figures) took about two weeks for them to arrive. Then, whereas they were shown carded on the website, they came to me loose in plastic bags. That was likely done to save on shipping - so while I paid $10, they only paid $3-$4. Those savings were not passed on to me...

I gave up on Badcat after that. Its really sad to see them go, but I am not surprised.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 pm

That is quite a story, Tman. :shock:

To actually email, and berate one of their long term customers, is totally unacceptable, and sounds like desperation.

Again, sad to see them go from one of the best online retailers, to hearing about acts like this.

dogbongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dogbongo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Good to hear others' experiences with Bad Cat. They were my gateway as well for 1/18 for years, until odd service & "onWu" drove me away.

IIRC, BC Rob went in pretty deep & got hosed by Spotcat - a whole big shipping container full. BC quickly changed their return policy, tried to stick some customers who pre-ordered.

There were some choice reviews & related discussions on the BC site, until Rob deleted them.

Then this "onWu" guy goes off here & elsewhere on how fussy 1/18 collectors are, Spotcat is our fault, we suck, etc. Sure enough, onWu = BC Rob.

My favorite bit was when he changed the Spotcat description to include: "designed to be viewed at a distance".

Even so, Bad Cat was a great site in its heyday.

And onWu did give me this memorable quote...
"... be man enough to sign your name to it, not hide in annonimity. And use spell check." ~ onWu

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

It took someone reminding me of the Spotcat rage to remember why everyone hated BC haha. I couldn't even recall.

Melvin was not BC that I'm aware of. Not sure who he is, or if he's just a guy who goes by Melvin and is catching unnecessary flak? I dunno. But he didn't seem to have anything to do with BC unless it happened on another site or something.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!