1/144 aircraft pre-builts????

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/144 aircraft pre-builts????

Post by USCGMK2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Kinda of got interested in some of the 1/144 scale aircraft. Mainly the bombers, floatplanes, and trainers since some of the subjects aren't made pre-built in 1/72-1/48, they're model kits, or $$$. I was seeing about opinions on quality from companies such as F-toys and Cafereo, those are the easiest for me to get. I'm mainly into Japanese A/C.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: 1/144 aircraft pre-builts????

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 am

You can also find good ones from jwings, area88, takara, and for the diecast, amercom.
Amercom, despite the few bad words they get, their models are quite nice in the 1/144th scale, for the ww2 in my collection, the ju-52, and TB-3 are some pretty nice models
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:53 am

While the Japanese plastic models, when assembled, tend to be pretty attractive, they often are flimsy and fall apart rather easily. The numerous part work diecast lines, whose products are becoming readily available, are a much better alternative and, often at very comparable prices. But you have to be selective. The old IXO bomber series is a very good place to start and many of the exact same models are now appearing under the Amercom, DeAgostini and other brand names. The excellent Hachette Japan models are also starting to pop up on eBay, though they use a slightly larger scale for mediums---1:120th.

There are issues with some of these lines, however. The GE Italian line has very passable Fiat BR.20s, Cant Z 1007s, and SM-79s, but its colors are sometimes off. The DeAgostini Russian line has a very good Beriev float plane and an OK TU-2, but the DeA DB3F is very good, while its IL-4--a later version of the same plane--has terrible join line gaps.

To sum up, if one is careful, the diecast lines offer an increasingly comprehensive array of models to choose from. Some need to be modified, many do not. If you go in this direction, why not pose questions about each model on a case by case basis--as AF, often does---and those of us who may have the item in question can give you our opinions.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 am

I recommend both the die cast and plastic models.

There is some assembly required for the F-Toys Cafereo etc. lines. Though they are painted and some but not all the insignia are painted on. You have to apply some decals though. The reason why as Epap said they may be flimsy is they are mostly snap together. That can be solved with a little glue. Most have a good fit though.

While you can get a few unusual subjects in die cast like the Betty, Helen, Emily, and Mavis, the last one nearly impossible to find in die cast, there are some subjects only offered in plastic like the Peggy, Frances and Dinah, with different schemes and other options like a torpedo bomber Peggy. The Betty, Helen, Emily and Mavis are offered in plastic also.

I would get both, but would try out one of the plastic models to see if you like assembling them. They are offered with gear up/ down option and a stand, whereas the die cast is gear down only. You might want to get some reading glasses or the like to put one together as they are smaller than what you may be used to.
You start getting into the smaller trainers, fighters and other single engine aircraft, they are a little more difficult to assemble because the the parts and aircraft are smaller.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi USCGMK2
Here are some pics of our 1/144 Japanese sections in the showcases to wet your whistle.

I love the seaplanes and flying boats.

There was a time when 21st Century made some 1/144 aircraft. They were available in single and 2 pack boxs. For the price then they were very decent. They still are pretty nice. And these were complete with all parts and markings on.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm

very nice collection of the Japanese planes JollyRoger.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies. JollyRoger that's a very nice collection. I bought the 1/144 Amercom Mavis (needs some work) and the big bird Tabby and Black Cat Catalina, haven't put them together yet though.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:24 pm

The Mavis is a CafeReo Big Bird. It comes in 3 versions. Its these 2 versions plus a silver one which I believe is supposed to be the prototype..

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Looking back it is amazing how the spectrum of 1/144 scale has grown in the last several years. I think the CafeReo, F-Toys, J-Wings, BigBird and kits like these display the nicest. It is true that a lot of the smaller pieces must be put on (a little dot of super glue does the trick) plus a few of the markings to finish the model but end result is worth the trouble. There are also quite a few after market decals available now in 1/144.
Actually a nice assortment can be made for many different time periods. Heres a few examples.

Vietnam: Single seat and 2 seat Wild Weasel Thundercheif's, AC-47 Spooky Gunship, Huey's Cobra, Phantom, F-100, F-5 and Skyraider.

NAVY 60's - 70's: B-66, Crusader, Phantom, Corsair II, Skyhawk, Skyraider etc.

World Wat One:
This is a combination of F-Toys , aircraft from the game Wings of War, and an unfinished 3D printed plane from Shapeways.

In one of the F-Toys sets was a Doolittle B-25. We acquired several with the idea to make a section of the aircraft carrier deck with the bombers. This was several years ago and the project kind of stalled.

Its hard to tell how a particular airplane is going to do or the availability once it's released. Many have jumped up in price almost to the crazy level. For example the Horton flying wing, Dornier 335, Shinden J7W1 average $25.00 to $60.00 each. And with companies stopping production like Bandai and 21st Century you have to grab them when you can.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:01 pm

This is true JR. You never know which ones become hard to get. Then some hard to gets are reissued like the Vals and Kates Wing Kit.
Usually it's the heavy bombers though are a sure thing to appreciate in value.

Didn't know you had so much Japanese aircraft. 8)
Noticed the super rare German stuff underneath too.

Bought a bunch of the 1:144 21stC fighters off Mikeg a while back.
Good to put in between all the larger aircraft if you don't feel like building them.

I still keep my eye out for some HTF ones. Scored a P-61 a while back for a good price.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Yea Dauntless the Black Widow is another one that has gone way up in price. Here's a couple pics of ours. I didn't like the shape of the nose on the Olive Drab one it looked too short so I made a new one using the black ones as a master.

I wish I bought a hundred of the CafeReo BigBird B-24's. They are beautifully done and were the basis of our 90th Bomb Group Jolly Roger's squadron.

CafeReo BigBird made B-17F's and F-Toys made B-17G's. Both nice looking renditions.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Sorry I got the Emily from Amercom, I get the Emily and Mavis mixed up. How is the AC-47 gunship? I noticed in your pics and also on my Tabby they have that gap around the cockpit window.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 am

The Spooky is nice, it really adds to the Vietnam grouping. The Tabby, Spooky, and D-Day C-47's are all from the same set and maker. The gap is the result of how they made the canopy. I guess it was easier for them to do it that way instead of making individual windows.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for posting up the Spooky. I needed a good pic of it like you have.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:12 am

Here's a good starting point USCGMK2
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171692031411?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Just bought the silver Mavis and a Frances from my local dealer. I got tired of looking through all the boxes of F-toys. Cafereo, and J-Wings. But I finally figured out the system to identify them, even though it was right in front of me.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Whats the system?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:35 pm

I just started building, and selling kits on eBay here recently, also have a few of the ones listed above, finished a "Bit O Lace" B-17G today, that should be up by tomorrow, if you'd want to check them out, they're selling QUICK though, I'm actually surprised how many people like built model kits..
Got other scales as well, next week there should be a new Hassagawa 1/72 B-47E

Ebay user: dere-sipe

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 pm

I just purchased 6 f-toys and cafereo airplanes from a distributor in Japan. I purchased 2 japanese bombers, 1 ju 88, 1 he 177, 1 emily floatplane, and 1 twin engined fighter (Dinah). The pictures look really cool and considering the space, I am looking forward to the planes arriving, which could be several weeks :shock: :shock:
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel