Just saw the Movie "Fury" (Added Photos and description)

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Just saw the Movie "Fury" (Added Photos and description)

Post by rschaap » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:04 pm

The movie "Fury" takes place in April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

Favorite quotes from the movie.

“Best job I’ve ever had”

“Ideals are peaceful, history is violent”

I have never experienced war, but if this is what it's like, "WOW". I found it intense and worth watching. If Pickel makes the "Easy-8" I can see a number of "Fury" dioramas coming out. My dad was born and raised in a small fishing village in Holland that was occupied by the Germans during WWII. He never talked much about what he saw, but was very happy when the Americans pushed them out. He later immigrated to the U.S., became a U.S. citizen and both him and his brother joined the military shortly there after. My dad was in Korea and served two tours in Vietnam. He retired after 20 year in the service and was a shipyard worker for a number more. He never talked about WW II, Korea or Vietnam, just about his friends. I wish I could have shared this movie with him.
Last edited by rschaap on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Just saw the Movie "Fury"

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:41 pm

So did you like it ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Very much so. My son and I may see it again tomorrow.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:13 pm

I would say a lot of movies glamorize war almost in sort of a feel good manner. This movie really drives home just how ugly war can be on so many levels. Muddy, gritty, far less civilized, immediate and permanent, with a lot of emphasis on how it hardens the soul.

Acting is great, lots of equipment to look at, that takes on a far more iconic quality. Don't want to say too much about the story line. I hope the Blu Ray is loaded with extra featurettes.

There's a brief segment where they are watching a daylight bombing run by a sky full of American bombers about to be intercepted by German fighters overhead. It's not essential to the storyline, but I like the fact that the scene maintains its distance as a tanker would see it. They avoid the temptation of stereotypical computer animation. Made it far more realistic.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 am

i saw it it was the great

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:33 am

Saw it Friday. Great film. It's not about the history. It's more aligorical. The transformation from man to beast is universal. Many modern soldiers can empathise with the action. The events could just have easily been told from the iraqi war point of view, but that would have politicized it and watered down the message.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:06 pm

A buddy of mine came over today and we went and saw it.

It was great !!!!

I have to see it again .

Mrs. Spike thought that she dodged the bullet.

But she is mistaken :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BTW

They had the easy eight which is the late model Sherman , they also had an early model Sherman fighting with the Fury .

I was too engrossed in the movie to make out what kind of model it was . But it deff had the tiny mantlet that was original to the series of Shermans.

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I am hanging out to watch this Movie you Guys are lucky Sods, cant wait :D

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Good movie. Every one was really quite after the move...
whats up doc....

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Agree with the comments above. It really showed how good people can change after experiencing so much. Definitely shows the nasty reality of War.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Just saw the Movie "Fury" (Added Photos and description)

Post by rschaap » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Here is a photo from the actual set.

The M4A3E8 (Sherman "Easy-8" tank) used in the filming and information on the "Easy-8."

“Easy Eight” was the nickname for the final World War II production model of the famous American Sherman Tank. It’s official designation is the M4A3E8(76)W which denotes the following features: Welded steel hull, Ford GAA V8 gasoline engine, horizontal volute spring suspension, 23-inch wide tracks, 76mm main gun in a T-23 turret, and “wet” ammunition stowage. While never designed to battle heavy German armor, this model was far more capable than the original Sherman tanks rolled out just three years earlier. The “Easy Eight” was the only Sherman to remain in American service following World War II and it would see further action on the Korean Peninsula supporting UN forces. The “Easy Eight” was also the basis of the famous Israeli “Super Shermans” which saw action well into the 1970’s. More than 49,000 Sherman Tanks were built during World War II. Many thousands were distributed to the Allies through the Lend-Lease program.

The German "Tiger" tank used in Fury and the actual tank's history.

The Tiger 131 was built in Kassel, Germany, in February 1943 and was shipped to Tunisia to join the 504th German heavy tank battalion, according to the Tank Museum's website. On April 21, 1943, the Tiger was taken out of action by a Churchill tank of the British 48th Royal Tank Regiment, and was captured and repaired. On Sept. 25, 1951, the Tiger was given to the Tank Museum.

Website for Tank Museum in England.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... gland.html
Last edited by rschaap on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey Rudy,

Thanks for the pics and research .

I have always wanted to do the easy * but the tracks and suspention have always been daunting.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I really enjoyed the movie but I didn't care for the scene with the EPOW. That sort of thing goes on but it seemed in poor taste to me and a poor depiction of the U.S. GI.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 am

More photos of the Easy-8 used in Fury.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Its by far the best tank movie I have ever seen! Im glad that they did not sugar coat the war or demonize one particular side while making the other side the selfless heroes. Its hard to make a war movie without the good guy/bad guy narrative. War is war and it shows that well. Lots of great action, the end sort of reminded me of the end of the Wild Bunch :lol:

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I just got back from seeing Fury with the wife and she loved it as much as I did. It is undoubtedly the best tank film I have ever seen.

Matthew I hope that this will be the catalyst to get you to do the Easy 8.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:07 am

Thought the movie was well done with the exception of the SS continuing to charge a tank with machine guns. The German Army had by this time understood how to attack a single tank. Deploying 2 man tank killer teams to move around the tank with the best WWII infantry tank killer the Panzerfaust, They would have withdrawn and then attacked with several of these teams from all sides. all in all I enjoyed the movie but that's Hollywood they generally don't get things right.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:41 am

I took my father to go see it at one of the Alamo Drafthouse theaters this past Saturday.
Alamo is awesome because they find off the wall content to play prior to the movie. For Guardians of the Galaxy, they found lots of crazy raccoon footage.

For Fury, it was lots of Private Snafu and some claymation poking fun at the Axis dictators.

The Alamo Drafthouse has fun taking a stronger stance, with "attitude," against cellphones and talking, with celebrity public service announcements.

Some of these may not be work safe.
Don't Talk - R. Lee Ermey PSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPlKXBnLbK0

Don't Talk- Richard Linklater PSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKNS7F9oAA

Alamo Drafthouse takes on texters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMEr_vBzBk

Don't Talk - Angry Voicemail (Uncensored)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

Sherman Tank vs Tiger Tank

If you like tanks then Fury is definitely the movie for you. This featurette is for those that want to learn more about the metal beasts used in the movie, namely the Sherman and Tiger tanks.

The American M4 Sherman versus the German Tiger 1, I’m talking 33 tons versus 60 tons, very much a David versus Goliath battle for the heroes of Fury. Throughout the war it took 50,000 Shermans to take out 1,500 Tigers. I’m very impressed that they got an actual Tiger on the set since there is only one out there restored to running order. Because of that this is the first time an actual Tiger has been in a movie.

Here is a video showing the comparison of the tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3slnEXOoSo

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 pm

rschaap wrote:Sherman Tank vs Tiger Tank

If you like tanks then Fury is definitely the movie for you. This featurette is for those that want to learn more about the metal beasts used in the movie, namely the Sherman and Tiger tanks.

The American M4 Sherman versus the German Tiger 1, I’m talking 33 tons versus 60 tons, very much a David versus Goliath battle for the heroes of Fury. Throughout the war it took 50,000 Shermans to take out 1,500 Tigers. I’m very impressed that they got an actual Tiger on the set since there is only one out there restored to running order. Because of that this is the first time an actual Tiger has been in a movie.

Here is a video showing the comparison of the tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3slnEXOoSo
The Russians destroyed most of those Tigers. Just sayin :wink:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm

^ What he said.

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Want to see the movie now, European DVD release date?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Did a little research regarding the overall kill ratio of the German AFV's (Armored Fighting Vehicles) compared to the Russian AFV's. It appears that the overall kill ratio was 3.26 to 1 in favor of the Germans from 1941 to1945. The information I have indicates the Germans destroyed 83,500 Russian tanks compared to the Russians destroying 25,584 German tanks during the five year period. The Russian's also had three times the number of tanks due to them forgoing quality for quantity. In the end it paid off for the Russians but at a high cost.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:31 pm

The wife and i went to see it, caught the matinee, it's bad when the food cost more than the movie. But I loved it, the wife thought it was gory. I'm for sure going to buy it when it comes out.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Just like the movie Enemy at the Gates , Russian men tanks and airplanes were sent out to destroy the enemy with out bullets .

The tanks were ordered to ram the Germans as well as pilots being trained to bring down German bombers by chewing up the tailfeathers with the Russian airplane props.