New BBi

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New BBi

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 am

Jesse James wrote:These are just sitting here, which is about what I expected. They're probably banking on them selling slow and steady through the holidays, but really these are all easy to get here.
Over the past week I was on the road and found these figures at a variety of Target stores, both in my hometown and at multiple other locations in California. These are getting excellent coverage and most stores I've been to have the full selection.

Had a bit of a figure-buying blitz, just like the old days :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 am

I found the entire line except the Hind at a local target today. Picked up two of the figures to check out
the head-sculpts, not bad. I may pick up a few more, $5.00 isn't to bad a price.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:16 pm

So, some of you guys got them.
Can somebody tell me the difference between "Cannonball" and "LT"?
Both seem to have a gasmask...
It alsoo seems that Cannonball is more black under the blister, and has a smaller backpackpack? when LT is OD green, with a bigger backpack (and a bigger hole in the back to fix it), am I wright?
Finally, which one would be better, more realistic for a NBC environment in a diorama?

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm

granch wrote:So, some of you guys got them.
Can somebody tell me the difference between "Cannonball" and "LT"?
Both seem to have a gasmask...
It alsoo seems that Cannonball is more black under the blister, and has a smaller backpackpack? when LT is OD green, with a bigger backpack (and a bigger hole in the back to fix it), am I wright?
Finally, which one would be better, more realistic for a NBC environment in a diorama?
LT would cannon ball has NVGs on and would not work well

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Just from my experience, I'd say if you've not found these it's a fluke. These are everywhere here. I'm sure they didn't cost much either though, so Target's probably not taking a huge risk on any of it. It's just something to try and cash in on the lack of military toys on the pegs anywhere but basically TRU.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

As I look at the new trend in action figure based toy lines I see a very worrisome future. The new toys, Vehicles in particular are smaller, more cheaply made, have less and less features, and become overall less detailed and "chubby or kiddie like" in overall appearance. I call this the McDonalds happy meal toy effect.

Essentially as a consumer the message is clear- We don't care anymore! We are going offer you this stupid and cheap looking toy in this handsome box to dress it up and still charge you the old price point of 25$ or more. Hello! you stupid toy makers- I can go to McDonalds pay 3.99 get a meal and have the same level of stupid crap you are trying to pass off as a toy or collectible now. And I get a package too! The Happy Meal box!

Seriously!!! it's a joke. Heck back in the glory days I always felt people were getting ripped off on lack of detail on GI Joe and Star Wars vehicles compared to the 21C offerings in the 1:18 scale vehicle lines… I look around today and that difference in cost / value is becoming a HUGE HUGE gap.

McDonalds for year has trained me to see their toys as purely disposable and FREE! They truly are a loss leader for the franchise. Now the more and more that these stupid toy makers and mass retailer buyers push this crap onto us and the more it looks like McDonalds toys the more I will see them as disposable and should be FREE to us with the purchase of a kids meal! I DON'T WANT THAT CRAP retailer!

No wonder kids don't want physical toys these days! THEY SUCK! They look stupid, are cheap and remind of kids meal toys. IF I or my kids wanted that we would buy a Happy Meal. No wonder LEGO is totally OWNING the mindshare of kids this days. Its the ONLY toy maker still providing a top quality toy and sticking by the required price points to continue to do so.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:18 pm

I can't believe the prices on eBay for these figures! That's just ridiculous!

I bought the chief figure without looking at it and he had some QC issues with the head sculpt, so make sure you check them out.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Well given China's increasing "middle class" improvements there, that's just a sign of the time. The days of getting toys made in sweatshops in China is going away. It's especially true of the larger companies (Hasbro, Mattel, etc.) who have PR to think about where if they're found using the cheapest labor they're probably going to face some public backlash.

Not to mention Star Wars is a licensed, and insanely expensively licensed, property. You can't really compare 21st Cent. Toys airplanes to a Star Wars ship because that Star Wars ship has a license fee over it that the 21st item didn't, needs to be something a child can actually pick up and play with, etc. I only ever recall small license issues (The "Jeep" name, or the Patton likeness for instance) being things 21st had to contend with. Star Wars costs a little more. :P

Till toys are manufactured in countries that are still economically slower, which there's talk of that in the toy world to an extent, I don't think you'll see super cheap toys again on US shelves. And even if you do, the regulation issues that came up some years ago won't go away because people think lead paint is suddenly alright. ;)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:20 pm

The Times have Changed....I think anyone doing business in china knows it and we as collectors see it.

Costs of products have risen because workers and manufacturers see they can charge more. If a company has
contractual obligations to factory A or B (they have your molds, your concept and your product) whats to
stop them from telling you this is how it is? What are you going to do?......go to china and take it back? (Who
has the 21st King Tiger?)

So I don't blame BBI or any other company who is still doing business over there, they're stuck until another
part of the world opens to production at reasonable costs. Or close up shop.........

USCGMK2, Re: the head sculpts.....I picked up two figures and both were ok.

TKO211, Great to hear from you!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:36 pm

We can be happy that old molds are still available for re-release. Children don't play anymore with real toys, except small children. The only way to make toys that can be sold is to follow movies made with virtual heroes. Even Lego had to be compromised with movie makers... 21st made quality toys, even 1/18th planes for 45$, their quality made them interesting for collectors. Their rival was BBI... Nowadays, BBI's rival is at the low level of PTE. So, no surprise with their toyline. They are forced to make cheap toys to hope selling anough and it's not the market of our small circles of collectors which will save their soul... So, I hope that evolution of 3D printers will change this twilight. The only way to make small series. It belongs to us, and not anymore to toy factories.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 am

Lt has gas mask cannonballs has night goggles
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:37 am

I bought 15 lt.. great as cobra trooper
whats up doc....

snake

Post by snake » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Nice to see you posting again, Zach.

And agree completely with you about the figures.

Figures are not my thing, but given the "quality" of the new releases, won't be anytime soon.

Not to be disrespectful to those who do, but they do look very cheap, and toylike.

Am sure they have their place, but not even close for me to even consider.

My opinion, and hope that I haven't ruffled any feathers.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 pm

tis called flat line...that machine that goes "ping" is going BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.............
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.