New BBi

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New BBi

Post by normandy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 pm

Well I don't collect modern but these would be a new source of head sculpts.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 pm

normandy wrote:Well I don't collect modern but these would be a new source of head sculpts.
I agree head scuplts are useful, but beyond that nothing I collect. Still it is nice to see SOMETHING 1/18 on the shelves
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm

While I'm looking at maybe selling my modern all off, I will say I'm keeping the figures I have. And those look far better than anticipated honestly. The paintjobs look fairly solid. A little plain but they were rarely ever hyped up with tons of detail before anyway. I'm ok with that then. I'm anxious to find these, honestly.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 pm

The NBC soldier figure is interesting. Would buy 3-4 to make a pic with firework smoke. Hoping they will reach eBay, the only way for me to get some in my far, far country.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Got the 5 pack and 2 other figures. They're pretty great really... lacking paint detail, but the sculpts are obviously solid typical BBI work and there isn't much paint detail they lack to make them not worthy of purchase. Just little stuff like buttons or buckles, or goggle glass.

I also got the single figures of the bald black guy who's a sniper, and the guy in the biological warfare gear.

Good custom fodder, and solid modern figures that maybe (at most) need a little extra paint applied... The gear's even good quality sturdy plastic. I was impressed by things like the M60 or the M4's.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Jesse James wrote:Got the 5 pack and 2 other figures. They're pretty great really... lacking paint detail, but the sculpts are obviously solid typical BBI work and there isn't much paint detail they lack to make them not worthy of purchase. Just little stuff like buttons or buckles, or goggle glass.

I also got the single figures of the bald black guy who's a sniper, and the guy in the biological warfare gear.

Good custom fodder, and solid modern figures that maybe (at most) need a little extra paint applied... The gear's even good quality sturdy plastic. I was impressed by things like the M60 or the M4's.
I agree!! Great prices too!!

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:37 pm

These have shown up in Louisville, Ky. I grabbed one of the NBC soldiers and the 5 pack. I'll probably get more as time goes, though. They're nice for the price, and though the paint is lacking, I don't mind repainting them.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:02 am

SolidSnakeEyes, are the hats or baseball style caps removable on these figures?
I'd been to a target last week and didn't see any of these BBI figures.

I know I keep saying it, but I wish BBI would make a WWII German figure line. I've got
some of their WWII US figures, I think they're the best ever made!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm

SolidSnakeEyes, have you madepicsfrom the NBC soldier? Would like to see one without the blisterpack.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Hats are glued on and I'd go so far as to assume the heads aren't complete underneath the caps. It's possible they are, but I'm guessing not.

However, I threw a Fleet Trooper hat from Star Wars on a guy without a helmet on and it looked pretty spot on. Kinda neat.

Anyway, yeah, glued on.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10 am

Saw The new BBI at target today. The figures are neat and probably the best part of the line. The vehicles make me want to weep... They actually have a Hind and an A-10, but they are way underscaled and very toyish. The GI Joe crowd will really go ape over those vehicles, those of us realistic military collectors not so much... Given the great realism BBI always had - and the fact that at one time Target even sol the realistic items, it makes me sad in a way to see the low BBI has stooped to. But I did walk out with some of the figures. Lots of custom potential :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks Jesse, might pick some up and see what can be done with them.

These guys look like brothers.... :lol:

...well a little. :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Here are some more pictures - namely the vehicles and the in-store display. The vehicles make me sad - especially when they have toy versions of vehicles BBI once made with great accuracy like the Desert Patrol Vehicle and AH-6 Littlebird. Again, I like the figures in this line as they have a good amount of custom potential, just not the vehicles and aircraft...

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 pm

It's all about price point... Target's demanded that, I guarantee it. Hit X and we're interested. Put out a $80 thing though, and shove it. People, average people anyway, don't have that kind of money to drop on "toys". Star Wars sees the same thing... Hasbro's in a pickle now where if they can't meet the price point they shrink the toy... much to the chagrin of collectors.

Ironically they're making a giant X-Wing, which is actually damn close to scale to the figures (maybe slightly OVER scale actually), and collectors? They whine about it. :) It doesn't have an opening cockpit and things. It lacks many features a figure-scaled toy has, but man it's one heck of a "set piece" to me, or at the very least a base to start working with.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 am

I got mine this morning, I bought the 5 pack and the loose ones, minus the Desert Navy Seal Sniper. I'll probably go back toward the end of the month and get a couple more. They look really good. The cashier asked if I needed a gift receipt and I said no they're for me, and he gave me an awkward look. I noticed the have the BBI elite force green little army men bucket too.

I wonder how many they put out on the shelves because there were only 2 left of each single carded guys. Hopefully they'll sell good and maybe BBI will continue to more different things out.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:10 am

Ended up buying a Hind I know they are toyish but I don't have a Hind anywhere close to that size, also bought one of the NBC troops. The cashier also offered me a gift receipt and said someone would be very excited. To which I replied don't need one and I am. She looked at me like I was from another planet.

BTW apparently ppl down in here have gone nuts for the vehicles. A guy stopped me in the parking lot of target when he saw the Hind. Said he had just been to 3 other area Targets where they were completely sold out. Told him there was an A-10 left but nothing else. He said he'd been looking for that too and seemed relieved. So assuming he bought the A-10 both were completely sold out. That was just after noon and they had been stocked that morning. Almost gives me hope.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Is this BBI A-10 a remold of the PTE line?
The MI-24, well both planes have more worse outlines, unrealistic proportion in comparison with the vehicles. But a front view could perheaps make a better illusion...

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:31 pm

No the A-10 is a reissue of one they released about a decade or so ago(?). It is a subject of discussion in another thread and there are photos there. The nose itself is apprently close to 1/18 the rest of the plane is considerably smaller giving it a cartoonish quality.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 am

I'm at my local target picking up all of the carded figures except the nbc trooper they don't have any also picking up 3 pilots and a five pack

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:47 am

Hi Guys,

Anyone see these figures on-line yet? I wont be able to get them in Quebec.
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 pm

I've looked online and I haven't seen them.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:06 pm

USCGMK2 wrote:I've looked online and I haven't seen them.
i was searching 1/18 ultimate soldier on ebay and saw some of the figures on there

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:32 pm

On ebay people already have just about everything marked up 300%. I'm not the biggest figure guy but the set is pretty good.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:06 pm

These are just sitting here, which is about what I expected. They're probably banking on them selling slow and steady through the holidays, but really these are all easy to get here.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:26 am

big_mike wrote:On ebay people already have just about everything marked up 300%. I'm not the biggest figure guy but the set is pretty good.
This is the time e-sellers make the most on flipping items like this. They are banking on people being so excited that they can't wait to find them in stores locally. After this they will drop in price and may not rise again till they have been off the shelf for a few years. Funny how that stuff works isn't it?

I saw tons of this stuff at my local Target. While the figures did excite me i am not into modern so these aren't for me. My son may like them though.