New Oxford 1:72nd Scale Releases Announced

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

New Oxford 1:72nd Scale Releases Announced

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Oxford Diecast has released drawings of new models it plans to release later this year. Included are a DO-335 and BF-108 which will be rehashes of the Atlas Edition toolings. Also on the menu are a green and gay DH Hornet and, more interesting, two new WW1 entries---a Bristol F2B and a DH4. Both of the WW1 models should be a nice size, with wingspans of roughly 7 inches but, judging by their pricing, they will also be low budget items, probably without any attempt at rigging. Here's a link to the British vendor, Jubliies' website, which has the pictures I've been talking about:

http://www.jumbliesmodels.com/new-products/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: New Oxford 1:72nd Scale Releases Announced

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:06 pm

man, i just bought an Ixo Do-335 to repaint and now Oxford has plans to release one.....son of a

lol.....well maybe i can sell the Ixo quickly before too many find out about the upcoming Oxford. Mind you i don't know if the Oxford will be all that good but they are doing the Smithsonian one so i would imagine it will look pretty decent.

The two WWI entries are very interesting and very appreciated. And a nice little winter Rata to boot. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Rommels Bf-108 looks rather interesting. I should get back into 1/72...
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm

I too just bought one of those IXO Do-335's.

A few have been showing up on ebay lately. Maybe somebody knew before the official announcement?

The IXO has landing gear though which is a good option to me the Oxford won't.
These Oxfords will be cheap enough to get another if it's halfway decent.

Interested in the Bf-108 for sure.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 pm

The Hornet and Me 108 are both interesting choices.

They released pics of the DH Hornet a while back, but it was in natural metal finish, and really did show the flaws in the model. A shame, and hope the camo one hides these issues.

Me 108 is a good call as well, and can see this one doing quite well, as long as Oxford does it justice.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

it's nice to see Oxford releasing models with such frequency. Aside from the ones that just came out there is still the Anson, Avenger, Frank, George and a few others to come soon, plus the batch just announced; all by Fall of this year.

I'm going to keep my 335 until i get a look at the Oxford. If it's decent i'll probably sell the Ixo, unless i think of something good to do with it. The Ixo should always be easy to sell because it has the undercarriage down option.

edit: ooh...i know what i'll do with my Ixo. Convert it to a Do-335B; a zerstorer version with twin 30mm cannon in the wings. They were under construction when the war ended.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ ... ver335.htm

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 am

The DO-335 had me interested until I read it had fixed extended gear. Yuck.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:18 am

Rowsdower wrote:The DO-335 had me interested until I read it had fixed extended gear. Yuck.
The Oxford DO-335 will, no doubt, be an exact replica of the model Oxford made for Atlas Editions---using the same molds. These models were only made in the wheels-up mode, except for the Stuka, Swordfish, HS-123, etc. The newer Oxford releases---the Hornet, for example, which were not part of the Atlas series, are the ones with the wheels extended.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 am

yes i'm sure that's a typo. The undercarriage will be fixed up on the Oxford Do-335, not down.

On a side note, the few Oxfords that have extended undercarriage, like the Hornet, also have optional parts for retracted undercarriage as well, which is one of the reasons they cost more.

All Oxford planes can be displayed properly 'in flight'....and a few can also be displayed with gear down.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Cool, well if that's the case then I'm game. I just don't care for fixed extended gear, I prefer my aircraft to be appear to be in flight.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm

That Do-335B looks cool with the cannons. I did not know it had a bombay ?

It depends on the plane to me whether the gear is down or up. I don't like to have them all up and in flight.
You would be surprised how many more planes you can fit on a shelf having both ways.
Some do look cool on the ground, especially large bombers, and with ground support vehicles and crew if you can find them.
Most of the stands cradle the fuselage on large die cast aircraft, and even smaller ones like some Skymax. While it protects the aircraft from falling, it ruins the in flight lines to me with an obtrusive looking stand on each side of the wings and fuselage. Oxford at least has a single peg as do many small models from other companies.

I'm used to seeing photos of the Arrow on the tarmac and it still looks formidable with it's tricycle gear down, so looks like I'll have both.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:01 pm

the do-335 was designed with a bomb bay as it was intended to be an attack aircraft like a Mosquito. The 'B' variant was designed as a zerstorer and at that time of the war that would mean as a bomber destroyer, like the 110 and 410. So the bomb bay would not be needed for bombs and thus they put in extra fuel tanks to extend the 335B's endurance and range. It was very fast so it would have been able to hunt Mosquitoes as well as regular bombers.

If i do a B with my Ixo i though i might give it a winter whitewash scheme. That way i can paint it on right over the existing paint scheme, letting little bits of it show through as if the white has weathered away. It would look kinda cool and be easy to do. It would be a 'Luft 46' type deal...but i like that kinda stuff.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 am

Dauntless wrote:You would be surprised how many more planes you can fit on a shelf having both ways.
Yes I do this with Easy Model planes. The permanently extended gear on those doesn't annoy me, maybe because they are so cheap. :lol: I also display one on the shelf underneath another one that's on the stand, so you're right it is a space saving bonus.

If I have two versions of the same aircraft, say Mustangs, displaying one with wheels up and the other down is fine. As are planes with unique gear like the Wildcat. Much like I display duplicate aircraft with stores and the other clean.

But for the most part I prefer wheels up. :P

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 am

i'm a wheels up only guy. Airplanes were built to fly, not sit on the ground, so i like all mine in flight position. :)

back on topic: i noticed the prices of the new Oxfords has jumped a bit. Up 20% or more. I wonder if this means the paint jobs will be a bit better or are they just jacking prices because they think they can get away with it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 am

i just received my Ixo Do-335 and i have to say, i like the colours on it much more than i thought i would. The brown is a bit darker and more olivey than in pictures and the overall scheme jives well with the low contrast look of the paint schemes in photos of the real plane from wwii. It's wearing very plausible colours so i think i'm not going to bother repainting it and just leave it as is. Even the inked panel lines don't bother me very much but i think i will do some subtle weathering to mute them a bit.

Overall it's quite a nice model and a hefty chunk of metal.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 pm

I agree it's not too loud of a brown, sort of subtle.
I'll leave mine alone and buy the Oxford too for inflight and the difference in colors.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:49 pm

here's a 1/48 do 335 model by tom cleaver that's pretty much the same colour scheme as the Ixo.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ ... ver335.htm

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:36 pm

aferguson wrote:i just received my Ixo Do-335 and i have to say, i like the colours on it much more than i thought i would. The brown is a bit darker and more olivey than in pictures and the overall scheme jives well with the low contrast look of the paint schemes in photos of the real plane from wwii. It's wearing very plausible colours so i think i'm not going to bother repainting it and just leave it as is. Even the inked panel lines don't bother me very much but i think i will do some subtle weathering to mute them a bit.

Overall it's quite a nice model and a hefty chunk of metal.

It is a pretty decent model, Aferg, and in my opinion, no need to do a repaint on it. Colours would appear to be accurate enough.

Glad that it has at least met your expectations, and that you are happy enough with it. Typical IXO reaction. :wink:

Great to have a Do 335 in diecast. 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 am

the Oxford Ki-84 is out. Looks pretty good...even has silver applied paint chipping. The only thing i wonder about is the wingtips being too squared in appearance. I'm not that familiar with the Frank though so maybe there were versions with more squared off wingtips. Otherwise looks ok.

Corgi has a new Ju-88 version coming out end of the year. It's a torpedo bomber with squiggle camoflauge (i can never remember the name of that type of camoflauge.......wimerhaussen or something :lol: ) top and bottom applied. If it looks good in real life i'll be picking it up for sure.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 pm

It's Wellenmunster, AF and here's an example of it in one of my Corgi JU-88 redos:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:14 pm

nice........i doubt the Corgi model will live up to that quality.

Wellenmunster
Wellenmunster
Wellenmunster...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 am

i've been looking for a small project that's a bit of a change of pace and happened upon this:

http://hyperscale.com/2007/galleries/do335a0rs_1.htm

I think i'm going to repaint my Ixo like this, while i await the Oxford 335 this fall. I think the 335 looks pretty swish in silver and especially so when juxtaposed with the camo painted front cowl. Has a nice 'end of the war' feel about it. The plane was captured while still under construction and tested by the RAF until the end of '45 when it crashed on landing.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon May 26, 2014 9:41 am

New Oxfords coming early next year: Of interest may be the bf 110, although the HM is the better choice. Also a reissue of the Atlas Lysander at last, although it's a target tug version....still there should be better paint schemes to come. Also a DH 88 Comet 'Black Magic' which should be pretty spiffy.

http://www.diecastairplane.com

here's the plane the Lysander is modelled from......it's local to me.

http://www.warplane.com/vintage-aircraf ... craftId=37

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:10 am

i received my Oxford Ki-84. One of the better offerings from Oxford. A very nice paint job complete with well done paint flaking. The usual Oxford drawbacks were present: crooked tailplanes (easily fixed), a tail wheel that shouldn't be there.....fairly easily fixed with a bit of plastic card (tailwheel on the Hayate was retractable with doors although occassionally you do see one in flight with the tailwheel down), no pitot tube (easily fixed), needed some detail painting of airscoop and exhausts etc. Overall though a very nice model.

At first i thought the spinner was wrong as it sticks out noticably from the cowl but after studying some pictures i discovered that's the way it is on the Ki-84, although Oxford may have it a bit too exaggerated.

I believe this is a Ki-84 Ia which would be armed with 20mm cannon in the wings, instead of the later 30mm cannon of the Ic....the cannons in the wings of the model look about right. The info Oxford gives for the plane is totally wrong however.....this in not a plane based in Japan for home defense, but an aircraft of 1st Chutai, 50th Sentai, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Spring 1945. One based in Japan in '45 would have the white squares behind the hinomarus, which were home defense markings.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 am

I did a little code 3 on the Oxford Frank, AF. Here's a "before" shot:Image