What is in the future of our Beloved 1/8th Scale

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

What is in the future of our Beloved 1/8th Scale

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 am

He guys,

The more I have been talking to other board members there seems to be a lot of guys jumping ship.

To 1/16th and 1/6th.

Believe me that I am not blowing my own horn but I have slowed down ( because of my real work ) and am not getting out new projects.

Some have said that I could be the only game in town and because I am not making anything why stay in the scale.

I have always said that if my real job is steady that I would not have made any projects.

That is where I am kinda at. Right now I would love to catch up on my current Jagdtiger project and work on some personal projects.

Something that I have not done in about 3 years.

Are you guys holding on or have the majority of you jumped ship ?

One of the biggest collectors I know , My buddy and Model Master Robbie P. of Oregon has indeed jumped ship and is doing just that collecting 1/16 and 1/6 and I know a few other have done so.

Who is hanging on to 1/18th scale ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: What is in the future of our Beloved 1/8th Scale

Post by Mitch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:04 am

I have (mostly) only collected 1/18th so I'm probably one of the hold-outs. I think that most probably got tired of the out right lies of what was coming down the pipe (marketing games) the delays and then poor build quality. As for higher prices...that is expected and I have no problem with that as it's an impressive scale and everyone must admit back in the beginning $40 was essentially giving the product away.
I very much want the FW-190A to be a reality and would probably buy 2 or 3. And even though I'm not a huge modern fan, would buy a Harrier for two reasons - to add to my collection and to support the manufacturer in hopes of continuing the hobby.
At this point I'm not changing gears to a new scale...either stuff will trickle out or it is done.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 am

My collection is all 1/18 and it's staying that way. I am very content with what I have and adding a new custom piece or two now and then suits me just fine. I customize some figures I would really like and love building your kits. That plus stuff from other guys who customize on this board and others keeps me very content. Heck there is still that Puma from shape ways I need to get. :-)
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:47 am

While 1:18 is my favorite, I've collected many other scales (from 1:700 up to 1:6) so I still have variety and lots to buy when I want. Lately, much of what I've gotten in 1:18 has been repaints and additions to fill out the collection.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Recently, I've bought a couple of the Heng Long 1/16 tanks out of curiosity. While i like them, the size difference is both impressive and an issue. They are larger to the point that I'd need to either display them at an angle and reduce the number of tanks on display or get bigger shelves. 1/18 works well. No plans or desire to switch scales at this time.

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 pm

I am only going to collect 1 18. I plan to get more of your great customs for Jnewboy (Jon) to build paint and detail for me. I think its the best scale overall because you have airplanes, armor, buildings, soldiers, vehicles etc and really all you get in 1 16 is armor and very few soldiers. I personally don't like the two scales so close together as to me they don't look right next to each other.

Matthew would you be able to build me a Jagdtiger down the track? I gather you would still have all the molds etc?

Studly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Studly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:08 pm

G'day Guys I am afraid that 1:18 Scale is the only one fore me and i wont be changing , i think those who are jumping to other scales are just going through a phase they will soon turn back. :twisted:

:p51: :hornet: :blueangel:

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Can you get planes in 1/16?. :roll: When you look at what 1/32 and smaller diecast planes and vehicles are priced at, 1/18 were way more bang for the buck. Snatching up out of production collectibles for well under $100 is one thing but recent releases from Merit and Flight Wings repaints are too high for something still mass produced. I like 1/6 ground stuff just for the sheer "shock and awe" size. :shock: Space is always an issue though.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:53 pm

For me, not a question of jumping scales, as I collect mostly aircraft, but gradually thinning the collection a bit over time. And that goes for the 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72.

Mostly due to space issues, and do I really need 6 Me 109's in 1/18, 5 Corsairs in 1/18, 35 Tomcats in 1/72, etc, etc.

So not jumping ship at all, just getting the collection down to a more manageable level. :wink:

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I'll be staying with the 1:18 scale. I've collected enough armor, planes and figures for custom projects
to keep me going for a long time.
I have two 1:16 tanks but for me the scale difference is to much to display with 1:18.
Long before 1:18 came on the scene I was collecting 1:6, early on I knew there would be a space issue
so I won't be going back to that scale, just keep what I have.
Thats it....1:18 and 1:1 WWII.....been doing that for the last 14 years.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:56 pm

I agree with most of the comments here. I'm staying mostly 1/18 scale. Not much military lately but have kept scale by going to Marvel Universe and Aliens, Acid Rain, etc. More of sci-fi now but still 1/18 ;-)

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 pm

I was largely just a 1/18th scale collector but rather than moving larger I've been going smaller. I've moved on to actual model ships in 350 and 700 scale for my toy etc collecting. I also have taken up collecting some actual militaria. As much as I love 1/18 I'm tired of being disappointed by it. I have no intention of selling my stuff and I'm still a buyer in the sub $300 market for the right item. But I'm tired of manufacturers lifting our hopes with the promise of things to come, only to leave us wanting. I love my Merit products, I own a 1/16 T-34, a 350th Hornet, and 18th Dauntless. That being said IF the 190 and Harrier come to be I'm unlikely to buy either due to frustration.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:27 pm

CanberraPaul wrote:I am only going to collect 1 18. I plan to get more of your great customs for Jnewboy (Jon) to build paint and detail for me. I think its the best scale overall because you have airplanes, armor, buildings, soldiers, vehicles etc and really all you get in 1 16 is armor and very few soldiers. I personally don't like the two scales so close together as to me they don't look right next to each other.

Matthew would you be able to build me a Jagdtiger down the track? I gather you would still have all the molds etc?
Sure !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 am

I have abandoned all other scales except my 1:18, I have invested heavily in the new Virtruvian HACKS line and Maurarder's Kickstarter project. I think, if someone has the resources and talent to put together a proper historical 1:18 scale military action figure line Kickstarter, it would have a good chance of success considering the void at retail.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:55 pm

As far as major armor is concerned Im only collecting 1/16, BUT I will still collect airplanes. I dont mind mixing 1/18 figures with my 1/16 armor as they fit fine and support vehicles are also fine in 1/18 like half tracks and staff cars.

That said, its a really bad sign that of the four custom figures I made last week only 2 are selling and they are being purchased by the same guy (Thanks Maritime)

It just goes to show how far it has gone, if custom Dak figures had been made with Pith hats back in 2006 or 2007 I can only imagine the bidding frenzy. The problem is they were just as hard to make now as then and to be frank, for $15 bucks each they are not worth my time. Consider that I have sculpt it, cast it, pour it, color match the paint, airbrush it, hand paint the strap, wash it, apply decals, apply solvent to decals and then spray it with Dull coat and fit it to the soldier... well if I did not want them personally for my collection I would never have brought them to market as its a waste of time, the market is just to small. Companies know that and it costs so much to bring a product to market. I will be very surprised to ever see that Fw-190a.

That said, we should all take our hats off to Mathew and tell him how grateful we are that he has not jumped ship also. A man with his talents and skill could make things in other much more profitable scales, especially when it comes armor. If he made the missing gaps in the 1/16 armor world he would have hundreds of buyers all over the world as customers. His loyalty to 1/18 costs him money and we should all be grateful for it, I am. Hopefully he will build more planes someday like the Natter!

ASC McLaren
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ASC McLaren » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 pm

I have no intention of switching scales. It seems that die cast cars in 1:18 are doing just fine, I wish that armor and aircraft were like they were in the '90s, but I guess that means that I have to start scratch building those items I want. Besides, one of the reasons I collect 1:18 is that it is somewhat limited. It keeps my spending down.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:49 pm

I've basically jumped ship to 1/16 armor simply because it's supported to a degree and 1/18 is dead... Figures fit it fine, and if there were reasonably priced support stuff (artillery and vehicles like Jeeps, trucks, halftracks, etc.), I'd probably jump ship completely and sell my collection of 1:18 armor off.

The figures fit it well enough... For now though I hang onto my 1:18 stuff. I do consider selling off some birds though... Especially the Blackhawk and Littlebird since I'm really trying to distance myself from modern. WW2 and (not that I have anything to buy here) WW1 would be my only real interest.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 am

I build 1/18th, unfortunately I do not mass produce, would like to get to where I could make multiple copies at a time instead of just one at a time, I have so far not had a problem selling my items to buyers from all over the world. I know I am not a professional builder, or painter but I am trying to learn, and improve as I go along.

I do not know what the future of the demand will be, but for the present time I enjoy making the 1/18th scale items as it is what I collect, and I seem to have a pretty good demand from people wanting vehicles, so much so that I can not keep up.

The Marder III I am currently working on I am going to try to mold the vehicle out into a kit if possible, and then also a Stug conversion for the panzer 4 was suggested to me for a kit I am going to mold out for people.
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 am

I am sticking with 1/18 for many of the reasons already posted by others. I have enough project to keep me busy. I have a few more ideas that need some Sherman part from Mat in the future also. One last reason for myself is I like it that my AFVs, Planes and Automobiles are in the same scale. Even if nothing new is released in 1/18, I would be happy with what I have.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:00 pm

1/18 remains my primary hobby. While I did weed out some items over the last year or two, I still have a sizable collection going back to the start in 2000. Got a real bump up during the Monkeyfest / orgy in 2009. And still pick up new items like the recent Our War Germans.

Have enough vehicles and aircraft new-in-box that every so often I'll open something. And really, what two moments are more exciting in this hobby than discovery/purchase and open/assemble? For me anyway, after that it's a lot of shelf-gazing and occasional "play."

Lots of figures open and sorted into tackle boxes, plus lots more carded and stored away.
You know the drill....

I have branched off just a bit, though, into selected 1/12 figures like this one:

http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=52503 ... c663ac0467

Anyway, very much looking forward to the Harrier and maybe the vehicle that's been mentioned (might as well protect my troops from landmines and IEDs!).

normandy

Re:

Post by normandy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:11 am

What is in the future of our Beloved 1/18th Scale ?

Customs!! ...............by Pickelhaube, PizzaGuy and Grunt. :D

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 am

I have so many dioramas and customs in mind, only few on the bench and anough "work" for years and anough soldiers. No interest to start again with an other scale: 1/35 is too small, figures are stiff. 1/6 are big, expensive figures, only few vehicles for which I could'nt find any place in my man's cave.
Only exception: my 1/6th BBI F-15 cockpit and pilot, for which I had to buy a 1/72 F-15 to try to make an "cockpit view during a patrol flight".

Leaving 1/18? Never!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I'll be sticking with 1/18 for a while. I have also seen a huge drop in items I've been selling. I feel this will be a niche market in the future. I only collect aircraft and I don't see anyone making anything in 1/16. I can't justify the cost of 1/32 items.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

PH Grunt & Co. I even label garage kits, a step above customs for sure... I think 1/18 has some life (contrary to the boasts of other locked threads), but it's really life support life, and very little in the realm of "realistic"... Sci-Fi, etc. It's always been there anyway, from models to toy lines. It probably always will be.

I'm a WW2 guy, and figures first... 1/18 has been dead in that regard for years though. I survived. It's not that big a deal. :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 am

I'm ready to leave the scale. I haven't decided the scale i would like to focus on but to me 1:18th WWII is dead. Mostly modern stuff in the till or aircraft. If you want something new you have to build it yourself or buy an expensive resin kit. Almost all new 1:18th is crazy expensive now. I'll hold on to what i have for now but eventually off load it for something more practical. I don't see a change in 1:18th happening anytime soon. :cry: