1:18 New Series:Acid Rain

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1:18 New Series:Acid Rain

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Hey Jesse.

Almost 100% scratch built.

I make the turret and cannons ( cast resin )

The legs are styrene

The round hinges ( on the legs ) are water bottle caps.

The top and bottom of the gun gondolas are cast from one of my wife's old Legs Eggs . I knew that I would have a use for them someday.

I make the mini guns but the barrels were made about 3/4 longer than scale .

The claws are actually real ( 1/18th copies ) renditions of a power shear and backhoe bucket with power jaws.

It was a lot of fun to build getting away from real scale stuff.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Love it... Could totally see this somehow in the realm of Ma. K./SF3D too. Awesome stuff.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:54 am

Jesse James wrote:Love it... Could totally see this somehow in the realm of Ma. K./SF3D too. Awesome stuff.

Thanks.

BTW I know it does look like a King crab but it is supposed to be a spider tank .

I guess the claws make it lean more to the crab.

They are for cutting wire and obstickles and the bucket is for moving and burying mean nasty things.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 am

Finally got around to opening these. The quality and care is amazing. Consider these the "Hot Toys" of 1/18 scale. The packaging is incredible. The vehicles paint apps are incredible. The speeder comes with a figure, the ST-01 does not. The stand alone commander figure comes in a foam padded box. The ST-01 comes with fixed tracks, but another envelope came with the order that has individual links with instructions for removing the fixed tracks and connecting all of the individual track links for rolling tracks. Will try and get pictures soon. Let me know if there is any particular point/part that you want a picture of.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 pm

I'd love to see the two track types... I'm honestly leaning to ordering one... These are uber tempting at this point.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Jesse James wrote:I'd love to see the two track types... I'm honestly leaning to ordering one... These are uber tempting at this point.
OK JJ, I'll try and snap some pics in the next couple of days.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I'd like to see some pics as well, the paint and weathering on this line looks fantastic.
KT got started today... :wink:

Valentin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valentin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 am

Just bought quite a few of their latest release via my local hobby store.

Here's a photo of these cool stuff.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:16 pm

normandy wrote:I'd like to see some pics as well, the paint and weathering on this line looks fantastic.
KT got started today... :wink:

Glad to hear she's getting some love, instead of sitting in dark corner of my garage collecting dust ;-)

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

OK, here's a few pics of the great packaging, plus next to a BBi soldier and Hummer for comparison.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Nice shots!!! The quality of these pieces as well as the packaging is very impressive.
I can just imagine these in a diorama.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:16 am

Ugh.

Once I pay something off, looks like I'll be ordering something else. :(

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Matthew, I dig your custom tank-wish I had your skills
Todd

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Curious but are the links easy to put together? Or did you find it just simpler to leave it with the solid track set-up?

God that thing's really well done, and really would complement SF3D/Ma.K. well... and BBTS has a pile-o-loot waiting for me.

Valentin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valentin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 am

Yup, the replacement track links are quite easy to snap together.

For me, it is preferable to change out the tracks, since the previous material would deteriorate quite badly in my country's hot and humid weather.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Yep, I just left the original tracks on for now because of time. Having a hard time to even look at my toys, let alone play with them :-(.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Toys are like Jello, in that there's always time to play with your toys...

Psssst... We call it "posing" them too. Saves absolutely nothing in shame though. :P

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah so I bought Quad Eyes this weekend... I dunno. I saw a review (BBTS had it posted under their pre-order page) and my god was it high quality work by the reviewer's details. I honestly can't wait. At this point I may buy a 2nd one.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Acid Rain had a presence at SDCC, and I gotta say they had the most impressive displays IMO. Tons of prototypes of new items, and just all around good quality stuff. Cost be damned, this is a good line.

Clicky The Mechy To Looky

So Ma.K. it hurts.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:50 am

Thanks for the pics JJ. Di they have the second piece (front section) to 4 eyes? Did they say when it is coming out?

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I wasn't there CW, I was home in humid old Pittsburgh coordinating for our guys who do the SDCC for us every year, so I'm not sure and they weren't fans of this line (the one guy sure as hell is now though).

He took pics of the display (and more are coming I believe from our other attendee), and this is what was there I guess, so it appears the barricade tank front wasn't there. Could the prototype be at the manufacturer for production purposes? Let us all just say yes, and then hope so! :)

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Got my Acid Rain toys this past week or so... I got the Mk.II Speeder and the Marine Deco Quad Eyes... also the Wings of Samothrace set which is actually sold out now and I'm glad I got this because it's really kinda special how it was done.

I want to back up, 100% all the praise CW threw at these toys... I really should put "toys" in quotes because they feel more like little works of toy design/engineering art because they're incredibly complex. They're really above and beyond the typical toy... Think of a Star Wars vehicle meeting a transformer, and whoever designed it made it so you can barely tell it transforms (IE: unlike a Transformer that looks ugly with all those obvious hinges and stuff).

I'm 100% hooked, to the point I'm buying the sand Camo Quad Eyes, and possibly a 2nd Mk. II Speeder if I can swing it (and I didn't really like the Speeder at first, go figure).

There are things reviews I watched/read didn't highlight... I liked the little hand-holds and things added that you could actually hook stowage to if you felt like it. I liked the way they did the instructions and the surprise set of debris on a piece of paper they gave with the speeder. It's really all great stuff.

I'm going to take the Quad Eyes' tracks off, and put on the individually linked ones. I'm hoping to salvage the rubber tracks though with a metal bracket and mini-bolt. It'll be noticeable but it'll salvage the rubber tracks anyway. I think it's awesome they essentially made something that didn't quite work out, and rather than just ignore that, they went and 100% re-designed the tracks, AND wound up shipping said redesigned tracks out to people who already bought it and also to the company distributing them in the US so they could pack the extra tracks in with any future orders/shipments. THAT is customer service and a dedication to satisfaction.

I don't think, in my life, I've ever bought something that the company knew sucked and already fixed so they included it with said sucky product. It's like getting a new car with a bad transmission, and they include an extra transmission for when the bad one fails. Awesomeness!

The figures are far more GI Joe than Star Wars... They fit into both ok, but the articulation is just much more like GI Joe. They're delicate feeling, but yet I can't tell for sure they're delicate... It may be their cost that just makes me THINK they're delicate so I'm being a puss puss when playing... errr... posing my action figures. :P

The Wings of Somthrace set is apparently a very limited edition set, cast in a polystone or resin (very heavy), and is hand painted by, and signed by, the guy who created the Acid Rain World... It comes in its own special packaging and it really truly feels like something special when you get it. The heft of the base and destroyed statue feels just, valuable I guess? And the fact it's weathered by hand and autographed by the creator of the line is pretty awesome, to me. I appreciate it far more than I thought I would.

I'm really hooked. The only gripes? Price, despite the massive volume of quality, still feels high... Not high enough to deter me though, and I'm notoriously cheap. If they were 1/3 or so less though, I could see some slight army building going on (3 Quad Eyes, 3 Speeders). The cost is really the only drawback I can think of! It's rare I have nothing really negative to say besides that.

This stuff feels like almost a slight rip off of the Maschinen Krieger universe, and their future offerings (judging by our SDCC coverage) give me the feeling that they're leaning that way further as the line continues. I don't mind, but Ma.K. fans seem notoriously defensive of their property they love, so I could see some animosity from that group of fans (I get the feeling they're older guys who modeling was first, and toy collecting nowhere near their radar). To a guy like me, who likes Ma.K., these just blend. They're like universes made to work together honestly.

I hope to see a TON more from this company.

And if you guys want something fun to buy that's different from the norm but has a feel for real-world military, this might be up your alley. There is that WW2 vibe Ma.K. has going for it. You guys may dig this stuff more than you realize. And look at what's coming up. Tell me that tracked Kettenrad looking thing in our SDCC coverage hasn't got WW2 written all over it!

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 am

For those that have these in hand:

How do they "feel" scale wise? Closer to Star Wars/G.I. Joe or more at home as 1/18 scale?

I've been very impressed by the figures, just trying to figure out which direction the vehicles seem more inclined.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:16 am

Winterstar wrote:For those that have these in hand:

How do they "feel" scale wise? Closer to Star Wars/G.I. Joe or more at home as 1/18 scale?

I've been very impressed by the figures, just trying to figure out which direction the vehicles seem more inclined.
I think more in line with transformers mated with GI Joe.

Although nicely painted the vehicles bare no resembelence to any realistic vehicle .

I feel that the figures are top notch as well and they could deffinatly work in a futuristic world with throw back ties of world wars gone by.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:06 pm

They feel, to me anyway, like someone saw Maschinen Krieger and decided "Hey, that'd make a kickass toy line", and so that someone decided to sort of make an offshoot world based on that. I wouldn't classify them one way or another (IE: they lean more to GI Joe or Star Wars). Transformers have gone downhill IMO, quality wise, with big gangly joints and whatnot, and these hide every joint perfectly. When it's a vehicle, you really can't tell it transforms into a "mech suit". and when it's a mech suit you basically can't tell (besides the tracks and wheels) it should transform into a vehicle.

I was also shocked at how poseable, in mech form, both are. Also the logic applied to both designs... The MkII speeder, for instance, is designed with the figure's physiology in mind, so it doesn't look absurd how he's sitting in it and the harness holds him in, etc.

The Quad Eyes on the other hand is designed to clearly be something that's supported by other somethings with a more clear line of sight. That's my take on them anyway.

I'd say detail wise, GI Joe vehicles suffer greatly, and if I had to say they compare, they compare more to the Star Wars universe. Like some advanced tech, or attempt to get an edge over the competition maybe. They look far more Rebel than Imperial though, if you were to go that route.

Like PH said they remind you of wars gone by in a weird way... The figures ARE much more GI Joe than Star Wars though. They're hyper articulated, and I feel they have a delicateness to them (though I've not broken one, yet, knock on wood). They are designed to pose any way you want really, and superior to a JOe in that regard, but their plastic is so-so. Not bad, just that they feel far more like a collectible than a toy I guess, is the best I can describe it.

The vehicles have a certain fragility to them too... Could be their cost makes me scared to be rougher than I have been as well. $130 for any toy ain't cheap, and these aren't exactly overwhelmingly large. They're big, but not 1:18 airplane big, haha. They're hyper complex designs though. Hats off to whoever engineered each one because they wuold take insane thought to get them to function properly.

I'm 100% hooked on this line... I love it. I think they fit into Star Wars (or GI Joe) pretty seamlessly in either form (mech or vehicle). I think they're the finest paintjobs and attention to detail I've seen on a toy possibly ever. I'd call them "Sideshow Toys version of a 4" action figure line", for a rough guess of the quality. Aimed squarely at adults (packaging says as much, 16+), and much more a collectible than something to be "played" with. Yet, totally playable if you're a careful "poser" (posers unite!), and not rough with your figures.

There are elements of futuristic sci-fi like Star Wars, or Aliens... there are elements of World War 2 mixed with mechs ala Maschinen Krieger/SF3D... There are elements of modern or slightly futuristict military like GIJoe/Call of Duty Modern Warfare type stuff... It's a really versatile toy that fits in great with other lines.

I got the Marine Quad Eyes, and while I love it, I think if you're wanting it and the Mk2 Speeder you should get the Sand deco Quad Eyes to match better. Plus I think those colors fit the Star Wars thing better... Thus I'm ordering a Sand Quad Eyes. Yeah I'm ordering two $140 toys, haha. They're really that good.

Oh, and those individual linked tracks they give? Exquisitely designed and appreciated. This company basically f'd something up, and rather than let it go because "it's just a toy", they fixed it, for free, and ship them with the purchases. You can't beat service like that from any company.

BTW I put a Quad Eyes folded up in hangar model kit display I have for mechs, and it's glorious with some Star Wars techs working on it. It really is a beautiful looking toy.

The little details though? They're what will get you. I saw things reviewers neglected to mention or glossed over on purpose, and for reasons I couldn't fathom. The details make the price palatable.

I have the Raptor purchased for myself already... I'm anxious to see those Prototypes from SDCC in production. That Kettenrad-ish looking artillery piece is all kinds of amazing.