My WC63 Maxon

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

My WC63 Maxon

Post by rschaap » Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 am

I saw some photos of a WC63 with a quad .50 mounted in the bed. I decided to convert one of my WC63 weapons carrier to a WC63 Maxon. Here is the end result. I put the build on the “Customs and Mods” section of the forum (
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =9&t=31154 ). I included photos of an actual WC63 Maxon in Italy.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: My WC63 Maxon

Post by big_mike » Mon May 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Now I wish I had picked up an extra quad 50 trailer when I had the chance a couple months ago. Really nice work a great piece overall.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 am

Very nice work for a "should have/could have been" type of a vehicle.

During WW2, no quad mount was ever mounted on a WC-63. An experimental vehicle with a Maxon M33 (twin .50 cal mount) was tried without a rear body but that single truck didn't work and never left Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

The pictures of the Italian truck was a military vehicle collectors dream. With enough money anything is possible these days.

There is no information available as to why the .50 multiple mounts just never worked on a WC-62/63 class of trucks. The truck was heavy enough, maybe the batteries took up too much room for the multiple gun mounts. The batteries needed an engine running to charge the batteries, maybe the 6 volt battery in the WC-62/63 was too weak.

Anyway, great work.

There are a few custom "coulda been" vehicles around. I have a 6 wheel Tug made by putting 2 Jeeps together and with a 37mm AT gun mounted on the rear. It was built but never saw life outside APG either. The 1/6 customizer weathered it and added all kinds of combat do-dads.

Imagination is a wonderful thing.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 am

I tried to find whatever data I could on the WC63 MAxon truck and came to the realization that it really never saw any service. The only 6X6 I found was a GMC test vehicle during WWII. The only gun trucks that I know of that actually saw U.S. service with a Quad gun where the Vietnam M35A1 gun trucks. I built this after seeing the photos of the truck in Italy and the 1/50 scale release that Corgi made. The truck looks great next to all my WWII vehicles. It also is a quick fix for my need of something new and different. I really do appreciate the history lesson from someone in the know.

Vietnam M35A1 Gun Truck

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

In VN, we had over 150 gun trucks from Jeeps and M-37's, 2 1/2 ton and up to 5 ton trucks with every different gun configuration you can imagine.

The 2 you pictured "Nancy" and "Bounty Hunter" were among those in 4 Air Defense Units equipped with Maxon quad .50's. Initially brought to VN as defense of compounds in small hilltop combat fortifications and then mounted on 2 1/2 ton trucks for convoy defense.

My unit was a Signal Battalion outside of Saigon (Bein Hoa) and part of our mission was repeater radio service in various hilltop fortifications serviced only by helicopter. One I remember had a M-55 version of the M-45 quad. Every trip in, I made the time to inspect the quad, fascinating. VC carefully avoided being chopped up by this bad boy.

There were a few Marine units in the Pacific that mounted a quad on a deuce & a half and both theaters had the wheeled mounted M-45 and of course quad mounts in M-16 Halftracks. By the end of WW2, most versions of halftracks were converted to M-16.

In my military vehicle collector day, I was part owner of a M-3 halftrack that had been converted to a M-16 and we converted it back to M-3A1 to be a infantry carrier. In looking for parts, at one point, brought me to Southern Auto Parts in Memphis, TN. Their yard had around 75 converted M-16 halftrack that I spent a day crawling over them. The halftracks were from NG units around the south including those that had seen service in the desegregation "troubles" in the 1950's.

Back to your WC-63, very nice work, I'm putting that on to my "to-do" list. I've got a M-45 and a WC-62 just laying around doing nothing.

TTT

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue May 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Nice. I really enjoy armor and I like hearing about people who have been around them. I plan on visiting the "American Military Museum" in South El Monte, Ca. once I find some spare time. I am fortunate because I live close to three nice military museum including the "Planes of Fame Museum" and the "March Field Air Museum."

Here is the website for the "American Military Museum." Thanks again for the comments and information.

http://www.tankland.com/index.html

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Wed May 07, 2014 2:19 am

Great job on the custom and good information.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 am

If anybody is interested, of the over 150 gun trucks we used in VN, only one was shipped home. The rest are gone to the happy hunting ground for old trucks.

The only one that came home with us was a 5 ton truck "Eve of Destruction". A terrific truck now at a military museum in Virginia. Not sure whether it is at Fort Eustis or Fort Lee.

When I saw it, it had sat in the weather and was in poor shape. Since I saw it, it was brought inside and completely restored. A awesome piece of military hardware. Truly the "Eve of Destruction".

TTT

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Fort Eustis, Army Transportation Museum. They have increased their collection a bit since I was last there. Even have a M26 Dragon Wagon with Sherman on trailer.