FLIGHT WING MORE RELEASES DUE SOON

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

FLIGHT WING MORE RELEASES DUE SOON

Post by Mad Sam » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:33 am

While trying to sort the 'Man o War' P51 tail wing issue I had, I was informed that there are more Spring/Summer releases in the Flight Wing line - four different aircraft; Me262, BF109, MIG15 and TBF.

I am now trying to find out if this means there will be four different color schemes for each aircraft as with the P51.

Sorry if this is old news, but it's the first I heard of it.

Kev
Last edited by Mad Sam on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: FLIGHT WING NEW TYPES

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:55 am

So now we know where four of the molds ended up.

sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by sbd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 am

So that means the 1/18 King Tiger will be released by Christmas, 2014. :mrgreen:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:15 pm

sbd wrote:So that means the 1/18 King Tiger will be released by Christmas, 2014. :mrgreen:

Hmmm...

No those molds are of aircraft.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Hematoma2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: FLIGHT WING MORE RELEASES DUE SOON

Post by Hematoma2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 pm

That is very good news. I would love to buy a better TBF than those currently available. :D

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 pm

I'd be interested in the TBF and Mig.

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:24 pm

sbd wrote:So that means the 1/18 King Tiger will be released by Christmas, 2014. :mrgreen:

It does make one wonder what happened to the King Tiger molds........... :? Ahhhh, the bigger :?: what
happened to the King Tigers that were ready to ship? :wink:

Now who is this Flight Wing company? Part of JSI? Or do these toy companies all take turns using the old 21st molds?
Not trying to be funny but JSI / Merit is already doing the Me-262 and Bf-109 now Flight Wing will be doing those plus the MIG and Avenger? :shock:

Well I guess it's good for those who got into 1:18 late or those wanting different paint schemes.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 pm

China should just stop screwing around and become the world hub for manufacturing Mustangs and BF109s that it obviously so desperately wants to be, and chuck out all the other industries.

sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by sbd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:04 pm

PICKELHAUBE:

I was kidding..... :mrgreen:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:09 pm

If they make a George HW Bush Avenger, I will get it.

21c killed that model with bad QC issues and releasing droves of the least-popular scheme first. I really like the Flight 19 planes and especially the Bunker Hill Avenger, but the Atlantic version never warmed up to me (though I do have one).

Its very likely that Flight Wing's TBF will have the same potential for issues that the 21c plane did (especially if they pack it with only twist-ties in a window box) If they can somehow make the wing hing area stronger, that would greatly improve the integrity of the model, but somehow, I doubt it. The price will also be killer... If what was once a $40-$60 P-51D tooling now costs $130, imagine what was the $70 Avenger could climb to...

I'm guessing the ME-262 would be another rehash of the 21c tooling?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Greetings:

If they had the other molds one has to wonder why they released 4 P-51's at the same time. That seems a little redundant. It may have made more sense to release one of each scheme at a time in series kind of like what 21c did. 4 Avengers at one time would be overkill and may defeat the intended purpose.

That being said a good Pacific scheme Avenger would be welcome.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 am

Retailer says he thinks only one release for each of the four types.

I've E-mailed Flight Wing direct asking if they are able to give any more details of schemes and ETA.

Let you know if I get a response.

Kev

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Interesting how these different molds show up here and there. I wonder were they in limbo and some Chinese manufacturer comes upon them and produces models? They should have to pay royalties to the original manufacturer. I would be real surprised if they did.
Todd

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Interesting how these different molds show up here and there. I wonder were they in limbo and some Chinese manufacturer comes upon them and produces models? They should have to pay royalties to the original manufacturer. I would be real surprised if they did.
Todd

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:If they make a George HW Bush Avenger, I will get it.

21c killed that model with bad QC issues and releasing droves of the least-popular scheme first. I really like the Flight 19 planes and especially the Bunker Hill Avenger, but the Atlantic version never warmed up to me (though I do have one).

Its very likely that Flight Wing's TBF will have the same potential for issues that the 21c plane did (especially if they pack it with only twist-ties in a window box) If they can somehow make the wing hing area stronger, that would greatly improve the integrity of the model, but somehow, I doubt it. The price will also be killer... If what was once a $40-$60 P-51D tooling now costs $130, imagine what was the $70 Avenger could climb to...

I'm guessing the ME-262 would be another rehash of the 21c tooling?
Definitely stronger wing hinges for the TBF. Will remind them on this and try to fix it.
Will collectors mind if the wings are fixed?

Perhaps the 262 from Admiral Toys and a 109G6 ? That will be good news for the collectors! :D

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Jim,

Folding seems nice, but it's overrated. Fixed is where it should be. The Avenger has as much dihedral as the Hellcat. Due to their hinged wings, they never showed proper dihedral. That reduces the appeal. Also the Avenger mold is fantastically detailed and shows beautifully. It's appearance is ruined when the wings are folded since you cannot add all the internal details into that area in order to match the beauty of the external.

I wish the Corsair and Hellcat were produced like that from the beginning. Oh well

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I would love fixed wings on a new Avenger.

While I appreciated 21c going the extra length to make a wing hinge that accurately mirrored the real thing, it was overall a weak design and not very robust. I have three loose 21c Avengers (plus one boxed). Of those three loose planes, the S1 Atlantic version has horrible drooping wings. My Flight 19 Avenger had one of the wing hinges simply decide to snap off one day and now has the wings glued in place, but originally one wing was straight and the other had a slight droop to it. My Bunker Hill Avenger has straight wings with no dihedral. It had the best wings of any of my 21c Avengers right out of the box. 21c could have gone the route that BBI did with their F6F Hellcat and had robust supports and hinges - although the folding wings are not entirely accurate on the Hellcat, they are much more robust and have a little dihedral to them.

The wings really killed the look of the 21c Avenger overall because they generally lacked any dihedral and made the model much more fragile than it needed to be. The fuselage tooling was great (save for the inaccurate bomb bay doors) just the wings were not that good.

If that could be fixed on a future release, it would be fantastic :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I have four Avengers. I too would prefer fixed wings if the folding wings don't look or work right or are flimsy with no dihedral. A tall order?

I guess we can glue them?

It will be interesting to see what scheme. Most likely a PTO tri-color would sell the best.

Not likely a Midway Avenger unless some gun modification.
Even Hobby Master couldn't pull that off correctly.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Although I won't be buying as I collect smaller scale, I agree that fixed wing would be the way to go for the Avenger, or indeed most all of the planes that have folding wings. At one time I did have an Atlantic bird and due to space considerations I had to display her folded. The most obvious issue with displaying this way was the lack of detail inside the wings which was forced by the concessions made to the toy-like aspects of the product. That in and of itself was reason enough not to bother with folding wings as I didn't like to display it that way - it looked a bit crap. So, cosmetic issues were alongside those I had with reliability issues.

I had a 1/18 Corsair whose hinges failed and comparing those and the TBF's revealed them as simply not being robust enough for that kind of use. If careful guys like us were breaking them, what did they think kids were going to do? If the actual hinge had been made of metal rather than plastic that would have helped with the splitting issues - you can only make plastic so thin before it breaks. And the little tabs used to snap the edges of the wings together weren't really of a size to keep the wings from sagging - needed some kind of support internally that could extend outward from the fuselage into the outer wing segments and be retracted out of sight when folding again. Possibly a trigger hidden in the gear bays or something. In my opinion, a metal plane shrunk down to 1/18 isn't as strong as plastic - it is still metal! So support those wings with a little metal or make them fixed.

I even have to put scotch tape on top of the wings of my 1/32 Corsairs to maintain their dihedrals, so there is no way in Hell I would expect a 1/18 plane to maintain that.

Believe me, I appreciate what everyone in the 1/18 game has done in trying to make large scale vehicles as true to the originals as can be done at the optimum price point and appeal to multiple markets, i.e. youth toys, military history buffs, diecast collectors, modelers, etc. When you compare it to stuff like True Heroes and modern G.I.Joe then 21C did a pretty damn good job all things considered (Management, however, was an entirely different matter.). I could never, nor still could, picture a company like Kenner or Mattel releasing something like the ME262 nightfighter, let alone a set of Viet Cong soldiers or heaven forbid a QUAD TRAILER!

So, yeah. Fixed wings, company dudes.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am

Hello Jim@Merit - I would like to ask - Does that mean you know that the '262 is the Admiral model, and the '109 will be the G6 ex 21st version?

Regarding the Avenger, I too would prefer the 'wings fixed' option as I'm another one with TBF wings glued in position following hinge fails.

(And again the three color 'unreleased Bush' sceme would be a good first choice.)

Regards
Kev

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:41 pm

I do like the folding wings for room, but I agree fixed wings would be better.
I've switched to smaller scale A/C but I'd buy an Avenger or two if they did a Pacific scheme in a US or FAA version.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Fixed wing is great: On the condition that the wings have an accurate and pronounced dihedral. Drooping or flat wings look terrible on the Avenger. There are plenty of Pacific theatre WWII carrier based Avengers yet to do!

As for the Bf-109G, make sure the scheme selections are awesome and collectors will be happy!

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

Mad Sam wrote:Hello Jim@Merit - I would like to ask - Does that mean you know that the '262 is the Admiral model, and the '109 will be the G6 ex 21st version?

Regarding the Avenger, I too would prefer the 'wings fixed' option as I'm another one with TBF wings glued in position following hinge fails.

(And again the three color 'unreleased Bush' sceme would be a good first choice.)

Regards
Kev
This is just my guess on the 262 and 109.
Since JSI still have their 262 and 109, and BBI still have their 109.
Admiral is the only other company with a 262 and 21C had a 109G.
I guess we have to look forward and wait for Kev's check results from Flight Wing about these items.
Last edited by Jim@Merit on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello Jim@Merit, any chance of Merit doing 1:18 armor? A King Tiger or re-release of the Panzer IV?

I'd welcome a Bf - 109 G-6 (as stated above) with an awesome paint scheme. 8)

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim@Merit

To be fair, I do prefer the ex 21st 262 as I think it has the better looking fuselage profile but would be happy with either - and there are loads of colour schemes to pick from.

Also as far as 109G6 - I'd welcome a return of the G6 perhaps in the guise of 'The black tulip' as Hartmann was flying a G6 to the end of the war.

Kind Regards
Kev
-