what's the appeal of 1/72 tanks?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

what's the appeal of 1/72 tanks?

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 am

for those of you who do...why do you collect 1/72 scale tanks and afvs? They are so small you can hardly see any detail on them, just a sense of the basic shape and that's it. I was considering collecting a few but after seeing some in the flesh was totally turned off by their tiny size. I can see their appeal for wargaming but my understanding is that 1/144, not 1/72 is the afv wargaming scale.

To me, they're like collecting 1/144 aircraft, which i've pretty much given up (moved to 1/72) for the same reason (small size). At least 1/144 aircraft had many large subjects, like bombers, transports and airliners (1/150 actually) but with armor they're all pretty much 3 to 4 inches long and less than 2 inches wide.

Not trying to rain on anyone's collecting parade; i'm more looking to be sold on them as being a good thing. But right now, i just can't see them.......literally. ;)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: what's the appeal of 1/72 tanks?

Post by Epap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:26 am

Beats me, AF.

I think that for some, it's a question of space while for others it's that and price. Still others say that they are concerned about the degree of variety in other scales while some claim they want their armor collections to be compatible with their aircraft collections, scale-wise.

As for myself, I've "retired" my sizable 1:72nd scale armor collection in favor of the 1:50th-1:43rd range, which is expanding rapidly, plus selected biggies from Figarti, King & Country, John Jenkins Designs, First Legion and others.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 pm

I see your point. Not being much of an armor collector anymore I haven't really purchased any 1:72 lately. Just some older FOV and Matchbox you would find at Target in the old days.
I do have three older Dragon GMC trucks that are quite nice for their size, two WWII troop carriers and a yellow airforce fuel truck. which is more Cold War era.

The detail has got to be a little better than it used to be though I'm sure no?

The only reason for me to buy 1:72 vehicles and armor is to display with my 1:72 aircraft in some kind of diorama. For WWII there is not much out there for ground support purposes. A few pieces like fuel trucks and jeeps.
No bomb dollies and tractors. Though I did see an upcoming release of a WWII airfield tractor and RAF car by Oxford that look interesting, but they are 1:76 scale. Would there be a noticeable difference I wonder? They are cheap enough and don't look that bad. Maybe get them and see.

I have looked at some up close pics of Hobby Master armor and a few look pretty nice. The Stuart tank and some of the Opel trucks. There's also some 88mm Flak guns that are soon to be released by Dragon that look good in the photos. I thought something like that would look cool around the edges of an airfield with sandbags, again support for aircraft. Though I think I would like to get a few tanks also to see if I like them.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:09 pm

I guess its a case of "to each their own" but for me, it is the size factor... Since I got my first Galoob Micro Machines in 1988, I've always had an affinity for the small items. One can display a lot of them in one space and you can store a lot of them in a small area. I've got quite a few 1:72 aircraft and its nice to have some armored vehicles to display along with them. Its been fun over the years to see how detailed the 1:72 vehicles keep getting.

Personally, some of my favorite 1:72 armor has been the items made by Unimax FOV - they at least used to use a lot of diecast, had weathering, were decently priced, had functionality like rolling tracks, elevating barrels, and crew figures. Then they made all the sets with the 1:72 soldiers, WWII and Modern. Dragon, Hobby Master, and others made vehicles that were really better detailed, but which don't typically have the crew figures.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:35 pm

AFERGUSON:

I agree with you totally. A 1/72 tank is too small---like a 21st Century 1/144 Spitfire or Zero is too small.

On another model message board, I once asked some 1/72 armor collectors why they had large 1/72 armor collections instead of 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, etc. collections. They replied that 1/32, 1/35 was too large. :shock:

Larger armor lines like Hobby Master 1/48 (King Tiger, Sherman), Corgi 1/50 (Panther, Sherman, etc.) and Dragon 1/35 (Tiger, King Tiger, Elephant) didn't sell well---partly because many collectors love microscopic tanks.

I have several 1/72 tanks---but only because they weren't available in larger scales.

I have 6-7 Collectors Showcase armor in 1/30 and a lot of FOV 1/32 armor----and I think they're too small. I have a bunch of 21st Century 1/18 and FOV 1/16 armor which make 1/72 tanks appear even smaller.

I would buy more 1/48 or 1/50 tanks, but the companies won't resurrect them because collectors prefer microscopic 1/72.
Last edited by dragon53 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Dauntless: i don't think you need to worry about displaying 1/76 with 1/72 planes. While it is about a 5% size difference, which is noticable, it's only noticable if you have 2 similar items side by side in the different scales. A 1/76 truck with 1/72 planes will not be noticable. It's common for 1/72 guys to use 1/76 armor and truck pieces mixed together.

Airplanes are my number one love, by miles....ever since my dad took me to the Battle of Britain movie when i was a tyke (before that it was dinosaurs :) ). But every once and a while i get restless for something different and that' s a phase i'm going through now, so i started to look into getting some 1/72 tanks. Until i saw them. Tanks are interesting and WWII armor is loaded with interesting history but to me, tanks are big, rugged, heavy things. And the 1/72 models look delicate and fragile...not at all conveying the mass and strength of the real thing.

But the variety of 1/72 tanks is astounding (and is probably the reason for its great appeal). I was looking at some of the Fabbri 1/72 rusian armor series yesterday...ZSU 23's, SA-6 Kubs.....really neat stuff but so tiny..

Dragon: Eaglemoss has an interesting line of 1/43 tanks, which i think is a great size for armor. It also goes well with the massive amount of 1/43 cars available. Many of the vehicles in the line are lacking in detail, however (msing rivets, simplified construction) and in need of repainting. None of that really bothers me though as i could spruce them up. The real thing that has made me balk at getting any is i can see 1/43 armour being a dead end. Once the Eaglemoss line dies out, i doubt there will be any more. And they haven't really made any big tanks yet; just panzer ii's, iii's and iv's.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Having just made the switch from 1/32 armor to 1/35, I can say that even at that small a change I notice a difference in the "look" of the two scales. My 1/35 kits I am building definitely look less substantial than their 21C/FOV counterparts. A panzer IV in each scale may only be 3/4 inch apart in length but the difference is notable, as seen in this comparison of a 1/32 Ostwind with one in 1/35:

It's worse with a tank like a Tiger, as the 1/35 looks like it came off the dollar menu.

And so for me, 1/72 and smaller are simply too small and fragile for me to consider collecting. If I had the money and space for 1/18 or 1/16 - whichever wins this betamax-vhs war - I would do it up in every color. Hell, I'd collect 1/6 if the ability was there. For me, objects representing mighty forces of destruction need a minimum size to be suitably impressive and 1/35 is my lower limit.

Plus, 1/72 is too hard for my eyes and fingers to build at this point.

Also, except for bombers, 1/72 aircraft look like a bunch of plastic sparrows hanging from a ceiling. 1/48 is the minimum scale there.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:49 pm

aferguson wrote:Dauntless: i don't think you need to worry about displaying 1/76 with 1/72 planes. While it is about a 5% size difference, which is noticable, it's only noticable if you have 2 similar items side by side in the different scales. A 1/76 truck with 1/72 planes will not be noticable. It's common for 1/72 guys to use 1/76 armor and truck pieces mixed together.

Airplanes are my number one love, by miles....ever since my dad took me to the Battle of Britain movie when i was a tyke (before that it was dinosaurs :) ). But every once and a while i get restless for something different and that' s a phase i'm going through now, so i started to look into getting some 1/72 tanks. Until i saw them. Tanks are interesting and WWII armor is loaded with interesting history but to me, tanks are big, rugged, heavy things. And the 1/72 models look delicate and fragile...not at all conveying the mass and strength of the real thing.

But the variety of 1/72 tanks is astounding (and is probably the reason for its great appeal). I was looking at some of the Fabbri 1/72 rusian armor series yesterday...ZSU 23's, SA-6 Kubs.....really neat stuff but so tiny..
That's good to know Aferguson. Think I'll get a few 1:76 vehicles. Check out the unusual Oxford stuff. Not much chance of finding 1:72 equivalents there. There's even a motorcycle and side car.
http://www.aikensairplanes.com/oxford-diecast-1/

Yup it was the Battle of Britain and Tora Tora Tora that sealed the deal for me in my pre-teen years. All of a sudden my best friend and I are building 1:72 model airplanes and having little wars. We used Matchbox Lesney cars and vehicles we were already playing with to suffice for our airports.
Wanting to recreate something like that, only for adults is probably where the interest comes from. :lol:

The closest anyone got to doing ground support ambulances, trucks, staff cars, kubelwagens etc. there in the beginning were Johnny Lightning Lightning Brigade and Pearl Harbor vehicles which were nice, but in odd scales. I still have them though.

The FOV's are quite nice as Tman mentioned. You could get them pretty cheap at one time at Target and TRU. The Abrams tank is quite large for a 1:72. I like the Sherman with the mine roller. Think I picked that up for around $4.
Have to check if I bought any of the 1:72 figure sets though, could be useful.
I know I bought some 1:32 FOV sets on sale during the time the 21stC playsets and the FOV's were being blown out at really good prices. They were near the last of the remaining military toys at retail before the good old days ended. :?

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am

Because 1/72 tanks are so adorable.

All kidding aside, I was an avid 1/72 diecast armor collector. Back in the days, Dragon Armors were selling around $10 each. To me, the appeal was the price and vast variety of armors 1/72 scale offered. I bought every 1/72 armors (and I do mean literally every armors), Dragon Armors, Hobby Master, CDC, Matchbox, FOV, Panzerstahls, MRC, Altaya etc. As Dragon Armors price went past beyond $20 break point, I stop collecting them.

These days, I still buy some 1/72 armors either on sale or "must have" models. However, as 1/72 armors approach $30 each, I see no appeal.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 am

I really don't collect collect 1:72 armor anymore, I have a select "essential" FoV and Dragon pieces left, but I do actively collect 1:72 aircraft and it is the same deal.

I'd say it has to do as much with space as how much detail tradeoff a collector is willing to accept. I am willing to sacrifice some detail and "heft" for the ability to collect a large number of vehicles, aircraft now in my case. Mind you, my 1:72 models have to be on the highly detailed side, no bland aircraft with hardly any panel lines or markings or oversized components. The same goes for armor.

I still have most of my FoV and 21st 1:32 armor and aircraft and I love them. Sadly I cannot afford the pricey 1:32 die cast aircraft and the 1:32 FoV stuff, well I pretty much already have better versions from back in the day, so I see no point.

I used to build kits, big time. I started when I was about 8 building 1:35 armor and 1:48 aircraft. My hand tremors, which I have discussed in the past are slowly getting worse and I had a bitch of a time even doing something as basic as attaching the detail parts to my 1:72 P-38. Hell, I have trouble clicking the right places with the mouse on the PC sometimes, and I am into PhotoShop and image editing in general, so that sucks. :evil:

I an envious whenever I see one of you guys showing off your newest project on here. I get mad looking at the cool new kits at my hobby shop. I also am jealous of you guys who have enough space for the big stuff and enough bread for the expensive stuff! :lol:

But, as usual Rows goes on and on and slightly off topic. :lol: But seriously, it is all about the space, the money, and most off all, personal preference. Some people are just happy with an old tiny Corgi Sherman, (remember when they sold those at WM?) while I want a bit more. Although I am out of the armor game unless something great comes along, I am happy with the detail and size of my 1:72 aircraft.

Oh, and like Tman I also had pretty much all of the Micro Machines military back in the 80's! I used to cut the wheels off the aircraft to make them "more realistic" and I can still recall the Corsair. :lol: :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 am

1/72 is "ok" for HO scale train enthusiasts.
Although HO scale is really 1/87...
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Not to mention 1:72 figures, one sneeze and the whole regiment is wiped out!

Plastic General

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 pm

The figures that came with some of the Corgi 1:72 WWII bombers and figure sets are pretty cool and made in diecast. The B-17G "909" set can fetch around $400+ these days. Wish I had bought one when released.

I do have the Corgi PBJ (B-25) set though. Comes with a tri-colored Marines Mitchell and figures. Needs a 1:72 Jeep and maybe a fuel truck if I can find the right one, or whatever associated vehicles I can find, palm trees?
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-US35307

Thought I'd try the Hobby Master Stuart Tank. This one looks the nicest of the bunch so I ordered one.
If it looks like the pic it shouldn't be too bad. We'll see.
It looks just like my 1:6 scale 21stC Stuart M5 RC tank only a lot smaller. :lol:
http://hobbymastercollector.com/HG4901.html

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:57 am

Just got my 1:76 Oxford Tilly and RAF car.
1:76 size comparison next to a 1:72 Gemini Aces Spitfire Mk IX

1:72 FOV Sherman tank with mine roller next to a 1:72 Dragon Warbirds P-51D

1:72 Gemini Aces and Matchbox Redtails fly over