1/18th He-111 H-6 Medium Bomber

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/18th He-111 H-6 Medium Bomber

Post by Aracula » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:19 am

Wanted to let you all know am producing a He-111 H-6 German Medium Bomber, I have been wanting to make some planes for awhile now and figured I would start with a real challenge. I will get some pictures up soon to get some feedback if possible as I am a not a professional builder. This looks to be coming out to proper scale of 1/18th at .6667in. to the foot. Will be rather large at 35.86 in long by 49 in wide by 8.74 tall. Soon will put some pictures up of it, but prefer to wait till it is a bit more finished.

Thanks
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18th He-111 H-6 Medium Bomber

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:42 am

Aracula wrote:Wanted to let you all know am producing a He-111 H-6 German Medium Bomber, I have been wanting to make some planes for awhile now and figured I would start with a real challenge. I will get some pictures up soon to get some feedback if possible as I am a not a professional builder. This looks to be coming out to proper scale of 1/18th at .6667in. to the foot. Will be rather large at 35.86 in long by 49 in wide by 8.74 tall. Soon will put some pictures up of it, but prefer to wait till it is a bit more finished.

Thanks

Can't wait to see it.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Sounds interesting. A HE-111H in a BOB scheme would be be nice.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:32 pm

wow :shock:
-
-
-
-

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Sounds interesting Aracula. Are you working off a foam rc plane or are you scratchbuilding?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 am

Building from scratch out of 1/16th plastic and 1/32 plastic. the wings alone are 21.9 in long per wing will be a bit over 4 ft wide, so am making to be able to come apart and be put back together easy.

I had made WW1 bi-planes in the past in a 1/18 scale by making the frame of the planes out of 2cm round plastic then stretching cloth over the frame like they actually did in WW1, this will be my first attempt at a WW2 plane.

I am considering putting some small motors in each wing for the props to make them be able to turn on and spin, but have not decided for sure on that yet.

Will post a picture of the wings soon give you guys a idea of the scale of this project.

Been building things since I was a kid, once built my kids a destroyer out of steel was over 6 foot long, had to put it on wheels so they could pull it around.

Love to build. Just wish I was a better painter on these smaller projects.

Restore old cars as well can paint them no problem.
http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/aracu ... sort=3&o=9

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/aracu ... sort=3&o=8
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice Cutlass. Wish I knew someone with your skill set closer to home, I've got a 71 Roadrunner in need of some work.

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:37 am

Thanks about the car.

Am restoring a 1966 Galaxie 500 fastback 428 car now. Love working on the old cars, I restore all of them from the interior, to the body, and frame, and motor. It is a a lot of work fixing them, but love the way they turn heads when they are done.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:07 pm

When will you be unveiling your He-111? Its to bad FSK did not make one before they went kaput.

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am

Give me a couple weeks, it is coming together, I have other projects for people I am trying to finish up as well and then will be able to commit to it full time. Just finished up another Stug III, will be last one I build for anyone else. Still wish I was a better painter.

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/aracu ... sort=3&o=1

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

An He-111 sounds like a great project, its a very impressive aircraft.

I just wanted to say your custom armor look very nice! That Stug IV of yours is very cool.
I've used a few of those RC Panzer IV (want to be's) for customs from e world toy.

http://www.eworldtoy.com/1recoelmitaw1.html

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking your work but your Stug IV, Brummbar and Wirbelwind would
look more realistic if you cut off the side fenders of this RC tank. It doesn't take much and makes them look more like the 21st version and then, more like the real tank.

Fantastic work!!!

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm

normandy wrote:
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking your work but your Stug IV, Brummbar and Wirbelwind would
look more realistic if you cut off the side fenders of this RC tank. It doesn't take much and makes them look more like the 21st version and then, more like the real tank.
That right there would elevate the level of authenticity.

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:48 am

Good advice, work I done was all on top I did not consider cutting off the side skirts but should have, will do that from now on. I measure, cut, and glue, and sand a lot on the parts I make, and should modify what I start with a bit more for accuracy.

When I started building tanks like 15 years ago, the tank hulls I had way back then were not accurate but was what I had to work with, now you can get more accurate hulls so makes it a bit easier. And of course I had my calculations a bit off at 1/18th being .667 in. to the foot, where I made the mistake of thinking it was .75 in. to the foot, so made a few a bit bigger then they should have been. Learn as you go :)

Have been thinking of investing in one of those 3D printers to make prototypes, I know some people use them to make items, and would make the process a lot easier then having to build it all by hand. From what I have read on them I would just have to print out the first tank parts then just mold and copy the parts over and over. Would kind of take the fun out of the building process so am unsure on that yet though.

Anyhow thanks for the advice, always appreciate constructive criticism.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am

When I first started I made lots of crazy stuff, with lots of mistakes so dont feel bad.

Its very importiant that you refine the chassi of what ever you are doing (and make sure you are using the right chassi). Awhile back I saw your "Wirbelwind" and thought that it was not bad, the shape was right and if you had made 20mm guns and not used US .50 Cal instead the top would have been great but then you put it on an American tank chassi? was it a Patton tank? it left me very puzzeled as I knew MKIV chassis were readily avalible and would have really made it look more authintic.

Your Stug IV (not III) looks good! take Normandy's advice, pull it off eBay and cut those fenders off. Also your Saukopf Mantlet is way to flat, build it up to look like this and your build will be much improved. :D

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:56 pm

That Wirbelwind, a Jagdpanther, and seems like was another also I built around 15 years ago, was really no decent hulls to use back then so I used a tank you could buy at K-mart no clue what brand it was now. Then I messed up with scale on some Hetzers I made a bit to large as I was off on my inch to foot ratio. Last few I made were more on scale but never made it to Ebay as they were ordered direct and went straight to the people who bought them.

I am still learning and think it is getting better just takes time. Do wish however I could learn to paint better, give it more detail and authenticity.

Thanks for the input appreciate it.

P.S. I see what you mean on the mantlet, I do not know how I did not even notice that but yes mine is to flat.