Forces of Valor maybe pricing themselves out of the market?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Forces of Valor maybe pricing themselves out of the market?

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm

FOV has a large release this month which is always exciting for retailers. but yet again with these new releases comes a new price increase. Its beginning to piss me off! Every time the new releases come out they increase the wholesale prices by 10% or so with less quality as far as im concerned. Less weathering which by now has become no weathering at all. Although some of the new releases look very good like the new 1/32 Panther paint scheme. I dont know how they can justify these increases. Im almost thinking of dropping them from our line up altogether. Many of my long time buyers are saying they are done and would rather move in a diferent direction. What do you guys think?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

snake

Re: Forces of Valor maybe pricing themselves out of the mark

Post by snake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I haven't picked up any FoV armour for a few years now. Although, I haven't picked up any other armour models, either.

Although I agree that their prices do seem to be increasing, with a reduction in quality, and weathering, so it seems you are paying more for less. Not something you want to see.

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:07 am

That's to bad, I do like their line. :shock:
Yes before 1:18 I must have built just about every 1:35 and 1:32 German armor kit out there.
I have a few 21st and FOV 1:32 armor pieces.
Earlier this week I was in a hobby shop and planning on picking up the FOV Opel cargo truck and using it as reference for a 1:18 build. Almost $90.00, I don't think so. I'm just going to work off drawings.
They will price themselves out of the market and along with kit makers kill the hobby.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 pm

This price increase versus quality decrease trend with Unimax FOV sickens me. Really, because I've been collecting FOV from the beginning in 2003, it makes the price increases all the worse. I mean, what we get today wouldn't have even passed for Action Grade at Target a few years ago.

The S1 T-34/85 tank I got in 2004 for $35 is a work of art compared to the un-weathered version that's out now for nearly 3x the price. I have made few purchases recently - namely some trucks and the US Ambulance (that came from American Grenadier :wink: ) and do plan on getting a couple others in the near future, but I'm not jumping on the FOV items like I used to... The quality versus the price-point just isn't there.

The price increases seem to be a general trend with the items we collect, but Unimax seems to be getting a bit excessive in particular. I hate to say it, but perhaps they simply do need to price themselves out and loose revenue and sales in order to get the message.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Sadly it's the only 1/32 game in town.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

:!: It's not just the HIGH prices with FOV that bugs me it's the endless Tigers and Shermans and Panthers and Tigers and Shermans and Panthers and Oh My!!And NO attempt to get into WW2 French,Italian,Japanese, and "Modern" Merkava,Leopard,LeClerc etc etc which you can't tell me that they wouldn't sell,LOL.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, considering they don't seem to sell them in chain stores like Target and TRU anymore they can't claim regular folk won't buy those other "weird" tanks. They are a niche item and they need to face up to it and market to the niche and not the mainstream.

I myself only buy German armor, but even I am tired of the endless repaints of crap I already have. There is certainly no excuse not to have released 1/32 versions of some of their 1/72 product.

I'm looking at you Wespe, Bussing-Nag Type 4500A, and Sdkfz 7/2 with 37mm AA. I would buy all three of those in a heartbeat if they were 1/32.

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 pm

is all there is in 1/32. i love their stuff and i will still be buying. i know how you guys feel tho. and i also wish they would make their 1/72 in 1/32, i think what happened there was 1/72 was a test to see how well a subject would sell. i think a bad test because they have competition in 1/72 and theres already those kits out there. if they would make it in 1/32 they would have no competition on those items.with the price increase its almost like they are trying to compete with figarti, collectors showcase, king country,
Last edited by ledhead0085 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Can't say much about the 1:72 armor, but their airplanes are doing ok. Particularly their bombers. Though some older ones still linger out there, the newer B-26 "Flak Bait" has been hugely popular and sold out in many places.

The quality is not as good as other companies like Hobby Master, but you can still get their bombers for a lot less than a Corgi. Though the prices are inching up.

Waiting for the next B-25 "Lady Lil" to arrive in the US in quantity. It looks good, maybe even as good as a Corgi of a similar scheme in the past which you'll pay $150 to $200 for now.
I think Unimax/ FOV is smart in some areas. I hope the prices don't go up too much.
I have the OD version of the B-25 with the eagle nose. I'm all over this one when it is available at reasonable cost. 8) 8) 8)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 am

Despite increase prices FoV are still the best bang for the bucks compare to other 1:30 scale manufacturers. Their 1:32 armors still have excellent details and with a little bit of weathering, they look pretty good like scale model plastic kits that takes hours to build up. I don't own any of their planes but they look quite good as well.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:11 pm

As a result of FOV's prices increasing, all the time, I am now taking closer looks at older '1/32' offerings that I considered pricey at the time but now not so much.... I acknowledge these other pieces don't have the detail FOV has but there are pieces, if you can still find them, that FOV and 21st Century never made. I'm referring to Figarti, Britains, H&B, Frontline, K&C, John Jenkins, etc. Some of these vehicles you can get for $25-$40. Others are higher, but it at least increases the options available. I have even purchased the Old Northwest WW1 Renault tank because the French actually had over 400 available at the beginning of WW2 and the French used them until they were destroyed by the Panzers. When you get down to it prices ultimately are relative. I would like FOV to watch their prices and offer some other pieces as Jkinzel said.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by sbd » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:29 pm

How are FOV's 1/32 sales since they started raising prices and dropped the weathering?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:05 pm

With the Chinese factories paying triple their old labor costs and passing these on to FOV and others it's small wonder that retail prices are rising. That's something we have to live with ---- which means that many of us will buy fewer products and be more selective about it. As for FOV doing French, Israeli, Japanese, Italian tanks, to give us a respite from the endless parade of Panthers, Tigers, STUGs, Shermans, etc. That's not in the cards as the existing molds need to be milked for maximum profit. The same thing is happening in the warbird category where rising prices are the order of the day, but quality is lagging well behind. Solution: buy very carefully.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:32 pm

In light of rising wages in China, which ultimately translates to higher prices, it's time for these companies to rethink their production in China. Many companies, sadly not enough, are bringing their production home, or moving it to India. I like the idea of bringing it home. Since it's not being weathered, they should make it here....
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:40 am

ketelone wrote:As a result of FOV's prices increasing, all the time, I am now taking closer looks at older '1/32' offerings that I considered pricey at the time but now not so much.... I acknowledge these other pieces don't have the detail FOV has but there are pieces, if you can still find them, that FOV and 21st Century never made. I'm referring to Figarti, Britains, H&B, Frontline, K&C, John Jenkins, etc. Some of these vehicles you can get for $25-$40. Others are higher, but it at least increases the options available. I have even purchased the Old Northwest WW1 Renault tank because the French actually had over 400 available at the beginning of WW2 and the French used them until they were destroyed by the Panzers. When you get down to it prices ultimately are relative. I would like FOV to watch their prices and offer some other pieces as Jkinzel said.
I'm not collecting Britains nor Frontline so can't comment about their prices. The other makers K&C, Figarti, JJ, H&B I do collect and I've never seen $25-40 for any vehicles. All the retire K&C armors command very high price as so do Honour Bound and Figarti. Depending on the item, Honour Bound Tiger 1 got sold of ebay for between $500 - 700. So for me FOV amors are still the best bang for the buck.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Personally, I've stopped buying anything new that FOV is producing. I'll stick to OOP/used off of ebay ( when the price is right) until FOV gets their sh*t together. I wonder when they'll realize that re-releasing the same stuff of worsening quality is going to bite them bad in the long run. If they would take the cost of producing the eight or so repaints and one/two new molds of questionable quality they seem to put out a year into 3-4 new vehicles of better quality, I think they'd sell much better. In the end I think they're going to put themselves out of the game by alienating their target customer, us, and then think there is no market for their product, when in realitythe demand is there, they are just too bone-headed to realize it.

I know the people at Unimax recall the fervor with which their original stuff flew off the shelves, why content themselves with just the lackluster sales these newest generations of their stuff seem to produce? I know not their specific sales figures, my interpretation of their worsening sales is based solly on users' input here,how long this stuff stays in stock at etailers, and the seeming lack of interest in BIN auctions on ebay (they are around forever). I would happily pay their $69.99 price point on new stuff if it was A) a new or newish vehicle or variant, and B) painted and weathered well like the first generations. Hell, they can even leave out the barrells and hedgehogs and whatnot and save the production costs. At this point, I think we all have more than enough of that junk.

Just my two cents.

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't know...who could get tired of wine bottles and kitty cats?

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

CNQ, I have purchased Britains, Figarti, Frontline for as little as $25. I admit K&C is expensive but I have bought retired pieces for some reasonable prices. Bargains are out there. I always do quite well at the toy soldier show in September at the Woodfield Hyatt. I've also done well at flea markets, toy shows, model train shows and even hobby shops and toy soldier stores when there are close outs. Not too long ago I purchased at a toy show K&C's Higgins boat for $40. I also picked up K&C's Austin utility vehicle (Normandy) for $40 and Churchill's Rolls Royce with all the figures (North Africa) for $100. At a military show I got great deals on K&C's Hitler's vehicle when he visited France as well as Rommel's vehicle in North Africa. Bargains are out there. Lately I have purchased new FOV for $35 a piece...
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 am

new FOV at 35 each that's below wholesale
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

the_bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by the_bird » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 am

I'm still a loyal FOV buyer

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I've kinda purchased every single FOV item I want the last few years. The S1 and S2 versions were the best and the most recent FOV that I bought was the ardennes panther released last year, which was actually pretty decent. With that said, although I like 1/32 FOV, I think that I'm done with buying anymore of their 1/32 tanks until they improve their quality of paintjobs and weathering.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

"35 each" thats cheaper then i just paid on ebay for the firefly and chaffee i bought yesterday. how do i buy from you? are you on ebay?

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 am

sorry was commenting on above post that 35.00 was a crazy price I cant believe
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 pm

I purchased the newer T34 for $35, the second release of the K1 for $35 and the second release of the Pershing for $35. I bought them from a friend who bought someone's collection. I have also purchased 1'32 Corgi planes from this same person for dirt. (a Hurricane and the Mosquito for $125 total.) If you search long enough and hard enough this stuff is out there... The hardest thing for me is being patient. When I want something my first instinct is just to go out and buy it.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:52 am

Best FOV deal I've had in recent months was when I found one of the modern diorama sets "Kuwait 1991: Take Out the Scuds" with the Bradley, figures, and tons of accessories at a hobby store. The diorama set is in a nice case and is practically of museum quality. I paid a mere $60 for it, which was the original retail price. Around the time I got it, I also plunked down nearly $70 for an un-weathered, mostly plastic, and little-accessorized new FOV Sherman Firefly. That shows right there how much things have changed!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."