This seems odd to me...

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

This seems odd to me...

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Was browsing the web looking for references for an Italian BF109 I am working on and came across this:

Isn't that a conflict of interest or something?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: This seems odd to me...

Post by rschaap » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Here is more information on the fighter. Very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_S-199
Last edited by rschaap on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Czech variant ( Avia S-99, 199 and 299) was acquired by the fledgling Israeli Air Force and used in the Israeli war for Independence in 1948 where Israeli pilots flew the Czech built German fighter against Egyptian pilots flying the British Supermarine Spitfire.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes its a strange but good thing that happened there. Its good to see the German technology used for good and to protect the Jewish people and not destroy them and ironically fighting the same type of planes that were being flown to liberate them before... I hope Adolf is rolling in his grave :lol:

The 109 is an amazing airplane, the Spanish Hispanos were still flying them in the 60s! and were used in the Battle of Brittan 8)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I think I see a new Jnewboy custom idea for a BF-109 :wink:

Israelis also used Spitfires among other donated aircraft of WWII vintage.

If you want something almost trippy, Syria used late-model German Panzer IVs into the 1960s, including using them as static gun emplacements. The French army also apparently used German Panther tanks into the 1950s. An then there's the Czech variant of the ME-262 (the single seat S-92 and two-seat CS-92) which remained in service with that country's air force until the early 1950s.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I think the aircraft during this war are as unexpected in many ways as they were during the Spanish civil war. Both periods are fascinating.

Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

What scale are those?
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:11 pm

1/48
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Just a little side-light to the Avia S-199s. When the Czechs were building the S-199 shortly after the war was over, they ran into a production snag that became a major problem. The Germans during the war produced the Daimler-Benz DB-605 engines exclusively at their Germany factory....which was destroyed during the war by allied bombers. So...although they were able to build airframes, there were no Daimler engines to be had. However, a Daimler competitor (Junkers) built Jumo engines nearby in CZ and the factory was left pretty intact. A team of engineers quickly addapted the Jumo engines to the S-199 airframes, but there was one problem they never overcame. It seems the Jumo engines rotated in the opposite direction of the original Daimlers and had to be modified to rotate opposite of design. That meant that all the off-set angles for the tail and stab were well off. The S-199 was murder for departing controlable flight when rudder input was too severe and too fast....no matter if you were slow or fast. They say that more S-199s were lost in the first Arab/Israeli War from accidents than from combat.

Spanish airframes were made from Messerschmidt plans and were identical copies....until the war ended. The Spanish also had to find a replacement engine for the Daimler...guess what they picked? Same general size and power and it even rotated in the same direction.....the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine straight off the Spit and Mustang. They also adopted the Merlin to power the Spanish copy of the HE-111 bombers. All of the CAF birds are Merlin equiped Spanish built copies.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm