TIGER I

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

TIGER I

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Here are a few shots of Tiger 131 which I took earlier this year;

On the move;

Back in the museum;

Here you can see where two of the incoming rounds hit the Tiger and helped put it out of action - one took off part of the trunnion on the side of the turret, the other hit the bottom of the gun then deflected into the hull roof which jammed the turret and smashed the radios;

This shows shrapnel damage to the exhaust covers and turret bin, along with heat damage to the covers;

The exhaust leaves deposits on the engine deck;

The loaders side of the turret showng the '88 breech;

The commanders cupola looking down to the gunners position;

Hope these are of interest.
Regards
Kev

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: TIGER I

Post by grockwood » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks for the great photos of the Tiger. What museum is it at?

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by normandy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Great photos Mad Sam!!
The fifth one is very interesting, I never would have expected to see that much exhaust residue on the rear engine deck. A detail I would have overlooked if modeling from a static museum piece photo.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 am

Hi normandy - Agreed - Until I saw this, I'd never put much exhaust staining on my Tiger models, but as you can see, this is really thick and black between the air filters, and also covers the rear hull plate either side and between the exhausts - except where it's been rubbed off when the covers for the inertia starter etc have been removed.
You can also see padlocks on the turret stowage bin, these are the original German ones which the crew had locked into place but left the stowage bin lids open.

grockwood - This is the only operational Tiger I in the world (There are only six known to survive) and it's at the Tank Museum, Bovington Camp here in the UK

Cheers
Kev