Battleground Toys - Panzer 38t first print

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 20% off Black Friday

Post by grunt1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:12 am

The updated tripod is getting rejected due to the end of the ammo belt being too thin. That will be fixed, tested and it will be available soon. The Puma turret is having similar issues with the barrel of the turret MG being too thin because it's hollow. Again, as soon as that is fixed and tested it will be made available.

grunt1

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 20% off Black Friday

Post by grunt1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 am

RSO, almost ready for the first print test.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 11-25-12

Post by smittyrob64 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 am

Wow, Your RSO looks outstanding! Hope your test print goes well.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 11-25-12

Post by smittyrob64 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 am

You should consider doing the RSO/4 pak 40 version. Then one could just drop the 21st pak 40 gun and shield part onto your chassis.

grunt1

Re: Battleground Toys - Cyber Monday - Free shipping

Post by grunt1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Shapeways has free shipping for Cyber Monday. Code: k714m

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/battlegroundtoys

As for the Pak RSO, thanks Rob, definitely something to keep in mind. I took a lot of photos all four RSO types at the Auburn museum last week for this very purpose.

grunt1

Re: Battleground Toys - 3 days - Shapeways 15% off

Post by grunt1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Shapeways has lost their marbles and are offering another sale. 15% off for the next couple days. Code cbxtg

I added new models for the Goliath with control box and an updated MBT trailer that is about $15 less than the original.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/battlegroundtoys

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I also added an updated Pack Howitzer that is fully snap together and comes with a 75mm round you can place into the breech.

Here is the Goliath control box.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am

To whoever ordered one of the panzerfaust bicycles, I mistakenly left white strong flexible polished as a material option and it does not work because the model is so detailed. I have removed the "polished" option now. Standard white, strong and flexible works just great.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:02 am

grunt1,

The Kettenkrad print from shapeways was a major fail. The handlebar, siderail and fender frame "wires" are all twisted or broken. The thing came semi-embedded in a brick of WSF powder, so I suspect the person removing/cleaning it realized there were print issues and stopped.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, as I couldn't find any obvious references on the shapeways site for what to do when there is a print failure. I've sent a question to their customer service email box, but do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 am

I'm sorry to hear that aae. Their service is very good generally and responsive so the e-mail is your best bet. In my experience they will issue you a full credit code that you can use to re-order. I have some other ideas if that doesn't work so let me know. I will make this ok.

There is a thread on their website regarding their recent growth spurt and adding new cleaning and printing staff so it is possible that this is due to new in-experienced staff. Either way I'm disappointed that it made it past "management" or quality control before being put in a box and sent to you.

grunt1

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 12-8-12

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:22 am

Here is the updated Kettenkrad I received yesterday. There is one issue remaining with the lower bracket for the rear rifle mounts and as soon as that is fixed up I'll make this available. For those of you that have the original version, I'll make the front end available as well so you can update your krad if you like.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 am

The test prints of the RSO door snap fit mechanics came this week as well and turned out great! The door opens and shuts cleanly and fits just tight enough when closed to stay closed. Most of the time new mechanisms requires a couple of tries before the fit works out but in this case it was good right out of the box.

pickelhaube

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 12-8-2012

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 am

Being to lazy to check myself.

What was the price on the new Ketten ?

IT LOOKS GREAT !!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am

ME GUSTA!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

tmanthegreat

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 12-8-12

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 pm

grunt1 wrote:Here is the updated Kettenkrad I received yesterday. There is one issue remaining with the lower bracket for the rear rifle mounts and as soon as that is fixed up I'll make this available. For those of you that have the original version, I'll make the front end available as well so you can update your krad if you like.
New mods available Just after I get a Kettenkrad kit from your store :P

Still, with what I have I'm really impressed - very professional & detailed tooling. The look of the tracks are perahps my favorite feature as while they are fixed, they look as though they could roll. I'm just getting it ready to build. Should the parts be washed before painting?

Also, does the thickness of certain parts like the guard rails and handlebars vary when the tooling is made? The ones on the kit I just got appear very thin and delicate and those in the photo above appear more robust. Just curious.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks guys. Tman the tracks are designed to work if/when either a rubber material is available or the detail gets good enough that linked tracks can be made. Shapeways tested a rubber material this summer but it didn't work out as well as they would have liked so it never came out of beta testing.

As for WSF parts, you don't need to wash them as there is no oil or other coating like there is for some materials. WSF is very porous so paint applies really well. That being said, it might be worth rinsing it off in warm water and drying it off for a few days to get any remaining un-fused white power off. I've had paint rub off where I figured out I painted over some powder and the paint wasn't on the actual surface.

As for the rails and handlebars, there should be little to no variance from one print to the next unless the actual base 3D model changes. Good eyes by the way, the rails on the updated version are slightly thicker (~1.10mm to ~1.25mm).

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:00 pm

For those of you that want the updates (flat forks, notek, blackout headlight cover, springs, tire tread, and stronger snap to chassis design) for the front end of the Kettenkrad, here it is as a stand alone part. I checked and it will snap to the original chassis so you are good to go.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/820018/k ... t-end.html

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 am

Tman, I tried something last night that really strengthened the wire or rail like parts. I tried brushing CA glue over the surface and that worked pretty well to firm it up. What worked even better, was to brush it first with any of glues that work on styrene (Testors liquid cement, etc.. I used Ambroid pro-weld) to soften the material and then coat it with CA glue.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:23 am

I've been in contact with a customer service rep from Shapeways, and sent photos of the problems my kit exhibited. They're going to get back with me: we'll see how that goes. Am hopeful for a quick and satisfactory resolution.

The kit is very finely done. Kudos to grunt1 for an excellent product!
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 pm

It looks like they don't like the new springs, the coils are too thin. I do not know why they sent one to me and it is in great shape. To those of you that already ordered the forks by themselves, I will get the springs on it and the main model fixed and re-post.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks Grunt. I ordered one of the new Kettenkrad front-end sets after seeing your post on Dec 8. All seemed to go fine until I got an email from Shapeways yesterday, basically noting that something was up with the material chosen (white strong & flexible) and the printing of the piece, so it would not be shipped and I would have credit with the store.

What you said above explains it. I will reorder when the new piece is ready...

Keep us posted :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Secret photos taken from a underground (and oddly enough carpeted) German manufacturing facility.

These are available now at Shapeways and I will be putting at least three of the ones pictured onto eBay or Amazon.com. Not sure if they will be painted or white kits at this point.

For those of you considering a purchase, please note that in the next version, there are three remaining issues that I want to work out. The ring in the body for the turret is about .5mm-1mm too small in circumference to allow smooth turret rotation so I will widen that. The ones pictured have all been dremeled to fix it. There is an air gap between the turret MG and the turret so I'll research how it really works and fix it. The hatch hinges on the turret are too small to really work at this scale so I'll switch those to the same design as either the RSO or the Panther II which both work great. So it may be worth waiting a month or so.

Jnewboy

Re: Battleground Toys - Updated 12-30-2012

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Looks Fantastic!!

grunt1

Re: Battleground Toys - Puma test drive

Post by grunt1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm

I finished one of the Puma's and took her for a test drive with some of her friends.

normandy

Re: Battleground Toys - Puma test drive 1-12-13

Post by normandy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Grunt,
The Puma looks Great! The sides of the turret look much better in these latest pics.
Well done!!!!