Too many parts?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Too many parts?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 am

As much as I would like to have a 1/32 B-25 or even a B-17, as I look at the kit details, I just can't see having that kind of time and skill to assemble all the tiny pieces. :( The engines themselves have more parts than some small plane kits. So many of the detail parts may not even be seen in the finished model. I know some guys thrive on that kind of minute detail. Anyone else scared off by that :?:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Too many parts?

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 am

Not me, when it's stuff like that, I'll just leave some 'unseen' parts out, that much detail is nice, but just a little much...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 am

I think the worst part about these big kits its taking all the parts off the sprues.I just finished removing and cleaning up all 500 of the parts for my B-25 and feel the worst is over. Its a super nice kit once its all ready to go. The fit is excellent.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 pm

I completely understand Axis. I too will not put together pieces that ultimately cannot be seen.... All too often some of these kits are overly detailed; engines as a perfect example that cannot be seen.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Well, I guess they are catering to the detail gurus who love the challenge. Still don't see why they can make incredibly tiny details molded separately but can't mold canopy frames separate from the clear like has been done forever with cars, trucks, and every other model kit except planes. :x And I guess if you wanted to leave off some panels you could see detail like this:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

snake

Post by snake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:13 pm

My take on this, even though I haven't built a kit in 20+ years.

Anyone willing to take on a 1/32 B-25 or B-17 would want a very detailed kit, to do it justice. Be a major disappointment if it was a more 'basic' kit.

I always did all the details, and parts, even if you couldn't see them. Especially on car models. Gives you a good feeling, and sense of pride, knowing all the details are there.

If you find it too daunting, or time consuming, you can always leave these minute details that won't be seen, out.

But a B-25, with 500 parts, would be a really cool model. 8)

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

I'm right there with you Axis. I would love to have both of these kits but the sheer amount of small detail is terrifying. I was never that good at all the tiny details to begin with, my big paws weren't meant for fine motor skills. Now I have some nerve damage as well which makes the idea of the big bombers even more daunting.

That being said I've contemplated buying one of the B-25 kits and trying to get away with leaving panels closed etc. But I figure if I'm paying that kind of money for a kit it should be done proper justice in it's assembly. And since I'm not sure I can do that, not to mention I'm not much of a painter, I've passed on them so far. I do have a 1/32 Mig-29 which I bought in the 90s and it's still in the plastic, so maybe that's a good way to test my abilities.

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Why not have one built for you? I woudn't charge much if anyone was interested. This would go for any model, 1 32 beaufighter, mosquito, etc

snake

Post by snake » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm

MZ826 wrote:Why not have one built for you? I woudn't charge much if anyone was interested. This would go for any model, 1 32 beaufighter, mosquito, etc

PM sent. :D

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:13 pm

I have contemplated that MZ but I figure with something like the B-25 the shipping price post assembly would be a killer. But perhaps I am mistaken.

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Mike,

The fit is actually so good on that B-25 that the wings don't have to be glued on and can just snap on and off. I think I remember reading that it was built that way. So built it will fit into an even smaller box than it comes in.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Well that might be within the financial realm of possibility at some point. Thanks for letting me know and I very well may be in touch MZ.