UH-1 Huey pilots?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

UH-1 Huey pilots?

Post by dragon53 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Now that pilots are being made for the 1/18 F-14, F-16, F/A-18 and SBD Dauntless, I would like to suggest someone release 1/18 pilots for the 21st Century UH-1 Huey helicopters.

I think there's a good market for UH-1 pilots because the 21st Century UH-1 only came with one pilot figure which means each UH-1 needs three more pilot figures (co-pilot and two door gunners). Also, 21st Century released four different UH-1s, so that's a lot of pilots needed. Another suggestion is to include an M60 machine gun with each figure to make them into door gunners.

Vonberne
Corporal
Corporal

Re: UH-1 Huey pilots?

Post by Vonberne » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:28 am

I second that suggestion.
Achtung! Spitfire!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 am

Only problem is that 21st Century Toys has been defunct since 2008 and AllGo is in pretty much the same boat. No telling what ever happened to those figure toolings. I was always curious we never got a carded version of the Huey Pilot back when 21c was carding their WWII pilot figures - would have been nice. 21c did get us bagged versions of their Vietnam tanker and vehicle driver figures, though (I got a bunch of those). At least BBI made carded versions of their basic helicopter pilots back in 2004-2006 and has offered loose pilot figures at various times since then.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

TMANTHEGREAT:

To clarify my post, I'm suggesting that those who are producing the pilots for the F-16, F/A-18, F-14, etc. should also release ALL NEW pilots for the 1/18 UH-1 Huey....I think there's a definite market for UH-1 pilots.

There are threads here on SSHQ for someone who has released new pilots for the BBI F-16, so I would like that company or any other company to release new UH-1 pilots.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 am

Oh, yes, no doubt. BBI doesn't have a Vietnam-era helicopter pilot tooling - only 21c did - so BBI (or whoever else) would have to make a new figure.

Converesely, I would love to see BBI re-release their "Navy Seal Pilot" figure - the standard helicopter pilot figure that was available on card at mass retail several years ago and which came with the Blackhawks, Littlebirds, and Kiowas. While it used the old-style arm joints, it was small enough to fit in all the tight spaces in the LittleBird, Kiowa, and 21c Supercobra, which the newer "Chopper Harris" style figure cannot do so well. I was lucky to have gotten a few of the original carded figure back in the day. Very useful figure and they could even go in a Huey, though they didn't look quite right...

The webstore BrokenArrowToys used to make 1:18 copy of the 21c Huey Pilot helmet, which could be easily painted and placed, say, on a 21c Vietnam tanker's body to make a decent Vietnam Huey pilot or crew figure. I only ever shopped with that store once in 2009 and while the products I got were nice, they were expensive and wasn't entirely satisfied with the service. Also, at the time they no longer had the Huey Pilot helmet.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

....... I always wondered why 21st.C never carded their Huey pilots. Would've made more sense I guess but this is only another reason why their stuff became collectable. They did this and they didn't do that when they should've done this while they should've done that.

- MG

: edit mis-spelling :
Last edited by MG-42 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Would be nice if someone would do another Huey (a UH-1D or later) or an Early Cobra...Hey the Cobra never came with a pilot either...could use a couple of jar heads for my snake.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:27 pm

With the 21st polybagged Vietnam US tankers (can still be found on eBay) and a new helmet that has to be made, it would be better than a BBI modern pilot. I used the (bad looking) tanker helmet, but cut with a curved nail cutter in a black plastic sheet the eyeshade. Result not too bad, because with closed helicopter doors, it is difficult to see exactly what kind of helmet the pilots wear.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:37 pm

GRANCH,

I have a couple of crewman from a 1/18 M48 Patton that I almost used for my UH-1, but the helmets were wrong---which is very obvious if they are used as door gunners....and M60 machine guns are still needed to go with the door gunners.

That's why I hope some of the posters here who are producing after-market pilots for the F-16, F-14, etc., will release some UH-1 pilots with M60 machine guns.

Each UH-1 will need THREE pilots....so there is a market for them.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Why isn't BBI releasing figures in general? They made such awesome stuff... Wish they'd get back into the game full swing with new waves, various eras... It's probably the only new 1:18 stuff I'd buy right now. I'm not a plane guy, but any figure has my attention.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote="MG-42"]They did this and they didn't do that when they should've done this while they should've done that.

- MG

Wow MG.. after many lengthy threads discussing why 21C went away I sincerely believe you are the first to capture it in a single sentence! 8)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 am

Can anybody post the helmets side by side so I can take a look at it ?

:wink:

I have made copies of the modern helo helmets are they close ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

PH, I will be able, but not now (I'm not at home for a few days), but here is the original Huey pilot with his helmet, at a slightly too high price for me:
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/1-18-Ultimate-So ... 416901a012
Other pics:
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/1-18-Ultimate-So ... 3f1a9eae18

In comparison, the BBI modern heli pilot helmet seems to be very different.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm

tmanthegreat, I had to cut a large slice into the BBI pilots butt and removed his shoes to be able to sit him in the gunner seat of my 21st Supercobra!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 pm

PH, here are some pictures I've made (sorry for the dust):

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm

Merit is releasing a new Huey, as said by the head of Merit Tony.
Might be a good chance Pilots will come out as well.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm

JOLLY ROGER:

Yes, I've been waiting for Merit to announce the new Huey to see if pilots are included.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:24 am

Jolly Roger,
If you think they will release 4 crewmen for each Huey + some extra figures to fit your first helicopters... for me, it sounds more like a dream :(

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am

I hope Merit includes four figures with its new Huey including two M60 machine guns for the door gunners....otherwise I'm not interested in it because I already have a 21st Century Huey which had only one figure.

Merit didn't include figures with the SBD Dauntless, so it's up in air if its new Huey will include figures.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:21 pm

To me one pilot is fine I'm just looking forward on what model of Huey their going to make hopefully the extended D model so there's more room for figures and has those gunner seats
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:37 pm

THE_HELICOPTER_PILOT,

As I posted before, I'm not optimistic that the Merit Huey will come with figures because their SBD Dauntless didn't.
If the Huey does come with figures (i.e, four figures), I'm definitely interested in it.
Considering the price of the F-4J Phantom repaint, I'm expecting more sticker shock on the Huey.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm

dragon53 wrote:THE_HELICOPTER_PILOT,

As I posted before, I'm not optimistic that the Merit Huey will come with figures because their SBD Dauntless didn't.
If the Huey does come with figures (i.e, four figures), I'm definitely interested in it.
Considering the price of the F-4J Phantom repaint, I'm expecting more sticker shock on the Huey.
Well the reason the SBD didn't come with a pilot is because a gunner wouldn't fit with the small detailed gunners seat and I really don't expect merit to release this without a pilot (at least one) but still to me a pilot is really no big deal I can just use my 21ct pilot
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Merit could've avoided that by including a pilot and a trimmed-down gunner---no legs or thinner width, etc.
My thinking is that Merit followed JSI's example and saved money by not including figures.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:02 pm

dragon53 wrote:Merit could've avoided that by including a pilot and a trimmed-down gunner---no legs or thinner width, etc.
My thinking is that Merit followed JSI's example and saved money by not including figures.
Well there's probably that too Merits owner Tony has been complaining about prices a lot...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 am

Now that Merit has announced its UH-1 Hog gunship, it appears that it does not include pilot figures.

So I hope the SSHQ members who make 1/18 figures will release a set of crew figures for both the Merit and 21st Century UH-1 Hogs because there is/will be a demand for crewmen.
Each set should include two pilots and two door gunners with an M60 machine gun.