1/18 British 25 pounder - project will be in hibernation.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

How much for a 1/18th 25PDR

Poll ended at Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Less than $100
80%
$100 - $130
20%
$130 - $150
No votes
$150 - $170
No votes
$170 - $190
No votes
More than $190
No votes

Total votes: 5

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

1/18 British 25 pounder - project will be in hibernation.

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Hey fellas.
Don't get excited, i'm just curious who would be interested in a 1/18th British 25 pound gun?
I have no idea of prices at this stage. Just want to get a feel for feedback before committing to drawing it up on the computer. It will be via Shapeways.com
Any feedback welcomed.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: British 25 pounder

Post by plasticboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 pm

I do interested in 25 pound gun. This gun always exist in my wishing list! :D
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 am

I'll do the 25, if you do some figures for it :P
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:59 pm

I think so! The gun need crews to use it. :D

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

I'm aiming to start drawing it up this weekend. I'd need to get it drawn and uploaded so I can see how much it'll cost anyway.

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:16 pm

coolio
it be like dat

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Bring it on! I'll bite.... And bite BIG!

Hd
:mrgreen:

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey fellas, just an update.
Yes, i'm still working on modelling this thing up in CAD.
It's currently a long four day weekend here in NZ so I have some time off from work, which means I can get stuck in.
The frame is pretty much modeled up. the shield is done in basic form, as is the barrel.
I'll post some pics of what the computer model looks like within the next 2-3 days.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm

The only British thing i have in my 1/18 collection is a Sherman firefly and a WWII British paratrooper made by Dusty Trails.
I always wanted British armor or artillery specially since i have so much U.S. and German anyways. If the figures are made,interest will be double.
We need more British and Russian Armor,figures,support vehicles etc.
The 25 ponder is a start.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm

WOW!! What timing for your topic! There's a great photo and discussion on the 25 pounder mounted on barges in Burma here.

http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/2012 ... l#comments
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

British 25 pounder

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I've been trying to get stupid photobucket to upload the images but they get re-sized to a smaller size. I'll try and find another photo host site tomorrow.

I've put the initial parts through Shapeways (as you see in the images) and it is currently running at $170. I haven't "shelled" any of the parts yet though. Just the main chassis/frame alone came out at around $59.
I was hoping to get it under $100 so i'm feeling a bit dejected but will just keep going forward. Hopefully i can get the Chassis and Wheels/tires down in price by removing some inner mass.
Last edited by Jay on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 am

Looking good! The tires are a great source from which to remove cubic volume. Make sure to leave a small hole as Shapeways won't recognize a hollow object if the hollow space is entirely contained. You can also really trim a lot out if you stay at or really close to the .7mm wall thickness tolerance. 1mm is a good place to end up if you are worried about printing integrity. The gun shield, barrel and frame look thick.

Another possibility in addition to hollowing the frame, is to open the underside of the chassis and frame. It makes it more like a toy if anyone ever looks under there, but it's another great spot to reap a lot of volume from and unless it's flipped on it's back you can't see it. You can always add it back as the prices drop or offer multiple versions for those that are prefer price over detail, detail over price, etc..

If you plan to allow the wheels to roll, perhaps using a printed or a metal axle rod, you save material tunneling through the chassis to create the axle cavity.

Oh and make sure to open up the chamber so you can insert the "optional" shells! 8)

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 am

Looking great! I'm looking forward to see 25 pounder in 1/18 scale.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

grunt1 wrote:Make sure to leave a small hole as Shapeways won't recognize a hollow object if the hollow space is entirely contained.
Ahh! Yes, I did hollow a tire out but when I went to upload, it came out at the same price. I never opened it out so it was an enclosed shell. I'll go back again and leave a small hole. Thanks grunt.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: 1/18 British 25 pounder

Post by Jay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:31 pm

A small victory. I've shelled the frame part of the CAD model. The original "solid" version came out at $57.42, the new hollow version came out at $28.46. This represents a cost reduction of roughly half. Works continues.........

YT

Post by YT » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Nice work Jay!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Will the barrel be positionable? If not, then I would definitely make it look elevated like it's dialed in on a german panzer! lol

Great work my man!!!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:09 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:Will the barrel be positionable?
That's what i'm aiming for - moving parts. The biggest question will be if I can get the swing arms to work so you can raise or lower the firing platform. Maybe that can be add on parts.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 am

Just an update guys. I've been busy with work recently, but i have been doing little bits and pieces.
I've shelled the larger parts. Just have a lot of little detail bits to model up.
I'll hopefully have some updated images and price within a week.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Can't wait!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Currently running at $166US. The only major parts still to go are the control fixtures / handles etc that are attached to the left hand side saddle
Another thing I've been thinking of is to use this as a master to take moulds off. However, because i'm in New Zealand, shipping costs would also factor into the equation. So maybe buying direct from Shapeways would just be easier....i'm not sure at this stage :| .

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun May 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Ok, some soul searching going on in the background where I asked myself would I buy this for $166+. The answer is "no".
I've been doing some rough estimations around a hybrid kit. This would involve two materials:
Resin casting those parts which lend themselves to this process ie parts that can be easily cast in a two part (or half and half) mold. This would be parts like the wheels, gun left and right saddle, shield etc.
3d printing the more complicated parts ie main chassis, Trail and sliding barrel (bored out).
This has come out to about $50 for a kit. This is solely for the actual kit materials and does NOT include various shipping costs, casting materials and labor costs.
It may be an option to just sell the resin parts from my end, and have the 3d parts ordered separately.
I did originally want to do an actual boxed kit with art work and printed instructions so this would allow me to indulge a little in that department.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Ok, Time I should tie this thing up.
I've been busy recently with other things, but now i'm slowly getting back into hobby stuff.
I have had a few other possible projects getting lined up but this has been sitting stagnant for awhile so......
Here we go................"$$$"...............I'm thinking of leaving the large Firing Platform (The big round thing that's slung underneath) as an option. That should bring the price down a bit.
I'm back to finishing off the small details like the various control mechanisms/adjustment handles.
Hopefully leaving the Firing Platform as an option will offset any remaining prices for parts not yet finished.
I have to also set aside some money to get a possible prototype shipped down here to NZ for review.
I've added a poll to get a feel for what you guys think.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 am

After a brief poll, the response has been to get it under $100.
At this point in time, it's not possible. Just due to time and work involved.
I'm going to pretty much put this in the virtual garage and put a car cover over it. I will hopefully get back to it at some stage but for the time being it's going into hibernation.
I do have some other projects lined up (as time allows).

*Side note. First in will be a set of scale correct, main landing gears for the 21st XD Corsair. Mine suffered damage during a recent move, so i'll be getting a replacement set anyway.
Will be good to see the Corsair on more chunkier tires as well.