Airbrush recommendation, other stuff too!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Molon Lave
Corporal
Corporal

Airbrush recommendation, other stuff too!

Post by Molon Lave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 am

Am ramping up my bench for a return to scale modeling.

Paint selection must be acrylic, albeit I will have a pass for Alclad paint use for NMF. Am leaning towards Vallejo based on numerous recommendations and pre mixed colors. (my focus will be WWII planes 1:32)

That said, any feedback on airbrush selection? Harder & Steenbeck Evo Silverline has been given high praises.

Also, any feedback on pipettes, mixing cups, cleaning bowl and quiet compressor would be appreciated.

Thanks - Rick

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Airbrush recommendation, other stuff too!

Post by MZ826 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm

I have always enjoyed my Iwata eclipse. The parts are easy to clean and replacement parts are easy to find.

i just use the cheap plastic pipettes and mix in the airbrush cup most of the time...

As for a compressor I would avoid the hobby compressors. They are overpriced, under powered and can have pulsing problems. I got a 3 gallon pancake compressor at sears for about $80 and used it in our apartment while i was in University with no complaints.
Don't be afraid to ask to plug it in the store to test the noise level. If I can save you any leg work I would go right to Sears,i tried all the Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart ones out and choose the Craftsmen Evolv from Sears. It has a built in regulator and has a replacement warranty. Make sure you get a moisture trap.

Hope this helps and good luck with the search.

Graeme

PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

MZ826 wrote:I have always enjoyed my Iwata eclipse. The parts are easy to clean and replacement parts are easy to find.

i just use the cheap plastic pipettes and mix in the airbrush cup most of the time...
I agree with that 100% Cleaning my Eclipse is as simple as cleaning an M-16, strip it down, clean it off, lube it up, slap it back together and you're back in business.

Compressor-wise I use an Iwata Studio Series Sprint Jet and I have no complaints. It is quiet (quieter than my spray booth fan), it is consistent, and since I am in a pretty dry climate, the water-condensing issue is not applicable really. I still wouldn't see it being an issue in more humid areas as long as you monitor it (like you should with any compressor), and maintain it as the manual says.

-Kevin

Molon Lave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Molon Lave » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 pm

I agree with that 100% Cleaning my Eclipse is as simple as cleaning an M-16, strip it down, clean it off, lube it up, slap it back together and you're back in business.

Compressor-wise I use an Iwata Studio Series Sprint Jet and I have no complaints. It is quiet (quieter than my spray booth fan), it is consistent, and since I am in a pretty dry climate, the water-condensing issue is not applicable really. I still wouldn't see it being an issue in more humid areas as long as you monitor it (like you should with any compressor), and maintain it as the manual says.

-Kevin
---------------------
Thanks for the Iwata feedback Kevin.

What type of spray booth do you use? I have zeroed in on the ArtoGraph 1530. Any thoughts?

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm

(MZ826)
"As for a compressor I would avoid the hobby compressors."

Well i have the testor compressor and ive never had a problem with it...
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Lots of people use and enjoy the hobby compressors, I just prefer the others.

derek_001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by derek_001 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:18 pm

MZ826 wrote:Lots of people use and enjoy the hobby compressors, I just prefer the others.
I under stand that but in a cheaper sense an industrial compressor might not be the way to go...
WESTERN OKLAHOME R/C AIRCRAFT & MODEL COLLECTER

[CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW MY COLLECTIONS]

http://forums.fighting118th.com/album.php?u=363

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Molon Lave wrote: Thanks for the Iwata feedback Kevin.

What type of spray booth do you use? I have zeroed in on the ArtoGraph 1530. Any thoughts?
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, but I use a Hobby Expo HS-E420 portable one. It was $119 at the local hobby shop, and I had a 10% off coupon that I used when I bought it, so the total came to be about $119 after tax. It is an excellent little spray booth, and really handy if you don't have a lot of space.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product ... MNO=HSE420

-Kevin