ثعبان - Type-98 Prototype

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

ثعبان - Type-98 Prototype

Post by NSA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 am

عبان is Arabic for 'snake' and will be incorporated into my 9th Special Forces Group (Airborne) stories and customs as an al-Qaeda aligned group operating in Afghanistan in 2001/2002 and across the world...

Excerpt from AFGHAN-SITREP: SNAKE/Type-98-Prototype
DATE REQUESTED: 22 JAN 2002
Covert Operator Codename: Chuckles

"... The Commander loved his tank. It was probably his most treasured possession in the province. He had money, wives, even young boys at his beck and call, for he was a man of influence in the Shah-i-kot Valley. Above all else though, he cherished the tank. It was a relatively new Chinese prototype for their 'Type-98' series of tanks, and was given to him from a Pakistani weapons broker in exchange for his sisters hand in marriage. He never heard from, or saw her again, but I don't recall him ever musing on if it had been a bad deal.

When it arrived a couple years back, the Commander was as excited as a school child, climbing all over the tank before they had even unloaded it from the Pakistani Air Force's C-130. His elation quickly turned to angst though, when he realized none of his men had any training in actually DRIVING a tank. He started going on and on, and I quietly informed him that the Soviets had trained me to operate some of their armored vehicles during the occupation and that'd I'd give it a try. That certainly brightened his mood.

The Chinese had removed most of their new tech gear, but it was still a fully functional tank, easily surpassing the old Soviet T-55's that still lumbered across the country in service of the Taliban. The Commander had us drive all over the countryside, shooting at whatever he felt like. I think he enjoyed the cramped Chinese cabin, as it probably made him less aware of his own height shortcomings.

The Commander used his tank almost every day, even for trips to the local bazaar, that was until the US started their air campaign. No armored vehicle would survive long out in the open, so he generally left it parked in the entrance to his cave compound..."

This is a PTE Chinese Type-98 tank that I've customized to somewhat approximate what it would look like in-use by the terrorists in Afghanistan 2002.

I still have a few tweaks to do most likely, but this was a fun 1-day project to see if anything could be done with the terrible original paint scheme :)

It's hard to find concrete stats on the Type-98, as it never made it to full production (They went with the Type-99 instead), but it seems to be maybe 1/19th or 1/20th scale instead of 1/18th.

This is how it started:

Thanks for reading, and be sure to let me know any criticisms or complaints! It's how I improve!!

The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: ثعبان - Type-98 Prototype

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:59 am

I know nothing of this tank :oops:

But your rendition looks great !!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Rylau » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 am

Real nice. Nice paint and great use of the add-ons.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Excellent work :D Great job with the weathering and I love the added accessories.

I have a feeling the story is fictional, but it seems plausible enough given all the shady dealings that go on in that part of the world... You need to get a couple of the 21c "Eastern Warrior" figures to crew it.

I just repainted one of my own PTE Type 98 tanks in a desert scheme as well, but patterned more after a green & tan cammo scheme I saw on a Lybian tank on the evening news. As our our only really foreign "adversary" tank out there in approximately 1:18 scale, the PTE Type 98 certainly offers some interesting custom possibilities 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by NSA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you.. It still needs work, and my black backdrop didn't fit the tank so I need to work on that too!

And yes it's bit of the story I am making up to go with a 'set' of customs I am working on (The Fictional 9th Special Forces Group), and this is the first 'bad guy' thing I managed to make. Wish I could get more of those eastern warriors.. seem hard to find these days for sure!

I wish I had more modern/Cold War Russian stuff to gear the tank up with.. the RPG's and Indy AK-47's are about all I have, which sucks..

But like you said, it's almost ALL we have to work with.. so I imagine we can 'get creative' as use it as a stand-in for various Russian tanks in a pinch!!
The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Very nice job on the tank. If you need "bad guys" or ennemies, have a look at these: the 1st pic is a custom made of 2 21st century XD figures, royal marine and special force fig. found at smalljoe, brown colour for the skin, putty beards (a needle on a candle to give them a more hairy structure). The 2 next pics are cheap and easy to find PTE figures, with AK-74 from marauderinc. You'll recognize the PTE chinese LAV, and my special creation , something like a Mil-8 helo (from GI Joe helicopter). Hoping it looks like soviet soldiers.