Collecting boredom.. trying modeling again- after 30yrs

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Collecting boredom.. trying modeling again- after 30yrs

Post by mikeg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I've bought some of the CHEAPER monogram-revell kits recently- the walmart, kmart, hobbylobby specials and am giving it a go again. I am sticking to solid paint schemes with rattle cans at this point. Don't laugh to hard at the voodoo, I realized the gray was way too dark and just left it that way. The local hobby lobby has their long time 30% off models pricing meaning the 48th B-17 and black widow would be awful cheap (and easy to paint)

f111guru
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Collecting boredom.. trying modeling again- after 30yrs

Post by f111guru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Mike,
Very nice models. Done with spray? I'd never guessed. Voodoo looks great and not to dark.

I to am headed back to modelling after so many years of not doing a kit. I've started a Hobby Boss F-111a in the two bobs Combat Lancer decals.
Thanks again for showing

Ron VanDerwarker
Ron VanDerwarker
Msgt USAF ret
Weapons
F-4, B-52, F-111

snake

Post by snake » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Good efforts Mikeg. 8)

I think the modeling skills would come back fairly quickly. I just don't have the space to devote a room to model building any more.

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 am

I think they look great. Nice job!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

They look excelent to me! I built that same SR-71 kit something like 15-20 years ago when I was in elementary school - with a bit of help from my dad. I've still got it somewhere in a box up in my attic. I always thought the drone was cool 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Oh, y'all are way too kind :oops: , I figure another 30 years or so and I can make them look like the box art on the tamiya and hasigawa kits.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Very 8)

What kit is the Zero?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm

it is this- my dad gave it to me a while back, it was probably not a walmart special-

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Very well done. I think a lot of collectors will be returning to models as our die cast vendors cease to exist or offer what we would like to purchase.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:35 pm

mikeg wrote:it is this- my dad gave it to me a while back, it was probably not a walmart special-

Thanks, I didn't think it looked like a "Walmart special"..
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 pm

It's funny, when I was a kid I was obsessed with military history and would go to the store and see all these models with fantastic cover art. I ended up buying a lot of kits and every time I'd be overwhelmed by all the tiny little monotone pieces when I'd open the box. A few times I actually finished building one and would use it with my toy soldiers, but always be worried and disappointed by how light and fragile they were.

Fortunately, the military diecast golden age came, and allowed me to to take care of my obsession. When I see the prices keep going up one the few remaining lines out there, I just remember how many hours of hardwork it takes to make a decent model, let alone paint and finish it, and spend away. No more model building for me, but my admiration for those who can.

f56tbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by f56tbird » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 am

Mike,
Very good work. Remember.., persistence overcomes resistance. I too have been a modeller for over 30 years and in the beginning I turned out models that were only worthy of being blown up with fire crackers. Stick with it. I am sure in time you will be building contest winners..!!! Happy Holidays..

John G.
There was a demon that lived in the air. They said that whoever challanged him would die. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it..., the sound barrier..

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

......My buddy and me in our early teens hung up all our models with fishing line and proceeded to "shoot them down" with a Daisy BB gun one piece at a time. It took all day to wipe out both our squadrons of many 1:72 planes. :lol:

Those are nice mikeg. Those are all 1:48 scale planes?

A 1:32 aircraft collector like me, with the demise of 21st Century Toys or anything coming from BBI want to delve into the model experience again. Especially with many multi-engine bombers coming out (there's only one new one so far the JU-88)

As long ago as I used to assemble models, I painted them all with a brush. That's not going to cut it now. At least there's the pre-mixed colors in rattle can now.

Getting any deals on any 1:32 fighters etc. out there in hobby shops etc.? I see a few at hobby shops but they are usually more expensive than ebay or online hobby stores.

Too bad Hobby Lobby doesn't carry much if any 1:32 (I've checked) I'd be all over them.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Dauntless wrote:......My buddy and me in our early teens hung up all our models with fishing line and proceeded to "shoot them down" with a Daisy BB gun one piece at a time. It took all day to wipe out both our squadrons of many 1:72 planes. :lol:
While I saved the vast majority of all my models, there was this Revell 1:48 scale EA-6B that I obtained from a buddy of mine which was missing parts and which I only ever partially built to use as a "toy". I eventually did the same thing with it :wink:

I spared the 4 pilot figures, however, which I used in a variety of other model aircraft for years afterwards.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Dauntless wrote:

Getting any deals on any 1:32 fighters etc. out there in hobby shops etc.? I see a few at hobby shops but they are usually more expensive than ebay or online hobby stores.

Too bad Hobby Lobby doesn't carry much if any 1:32 (I've checked) I'd be all over them.

As a matter of fact, I stopped by the local Hobby Lobby tonight and got a Revell 48th black widow on sale- 14.83 inc. tax (normally 19.99). All models are on sale at 30% off listed price and have been for a while. The Revell/Monogram 48th B-17 retails there around 32.00, 30% off that is cheaper than the same kit at internet modeling sites- the few I've checked, at least. The sale applies to all, of course, tamiya, hasigawa, revell, italia?? plane, ship, sub, tanks, etc.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 pm

While I'm tempted to start building models again in 1:48, with so many planes to choose from, I decided that 1:32 is the smallest I'm going.
Luckily there are some exciting fighters to build and many to be had reasonably online or at auction.

With the Wingscale B-17 and twin engine bombers coming out, a Revell JU-88 already out and an HE-111 on the way, I've got to get my skills up and supplies to do modeling again. It's a lot different than what it used to be or the way I used to do it. I think the larger scales would be a little easier than the many 1:72 planes I used to build.
I do remember building a 1:32 Revell Westland Lysander way back when and it going a little smoother than the small planes I was used to.

I had read that the Hasegawa 1:32 Zero everyone agrees is near a perfect kit as Zeros go. Did the 1:48 Zero go smoothly?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Hobby Lobby used to carry Revell 1/32 planes. When they used to have 50% off I purchased every 1/32 I could get my hands on. Now there are no 1/32 kits with the exception of the 1/32 Apache from Testors. I've built the Zero, the Wildcat, the Hurricane, the Komet, the P40, and a few others... One of these days I'll build them all since there aren't too many new entries with the departure of 21st and BBI from this scale.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:38 pm

well, here I go again- should I give the 48th P-61 a gloss coat? maybe dry brush it a little in the appropriate places? I'm told they don't make a semi-gloss spray.

those close up shots show warts and all :oops: it looks better from a foot way or so. I'm ready for another one, but without any airbrush skills, yet, I hesitate to do any more than look at the box art on a german model. The monogram/revell 48th P-38 kit shows a nightfighter version on the side of the box- I may try that one next. Also, I found out a current .58 cal mineball wrapped in tissue paper makes a great nose weight for the P-61 :lol: :lol:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 am

mikeg, those are great, I love to build models too, my problem is the weathering, I suck at that, but like you I think I'm going to start doing some kits too.

I have several Dragon models that need to be built and all I ever use is a rattle can, I have a very old air brush, but I can't seem to get it to work :oops:, thanks for sharing those, gives a old model builder hope :D

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:51 pm

I called one of the employees I know today at the local hobbytown and asked flatout how to learn to use an airbrush- no magazines, books, utube videos or word of mouth. He has been there about 5 years and said the question had come up often. They have tried meetings in the past, but he said he knew of no one who had managed to attend regularly, therefore they petered out. He also said call the other guys there and light the fire again, he felt they would "probably stay late to do it if there was any interest" So, true or false, it might happen.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 pm

It's not that hard to use an airbrush.

You can get the basics from your local hobby shop, or online.

After that it is just a question of practice, and more practice. And you don't need to use a model for this. Even a blank piece of paper will do. Get the basics right before you attempt to do a model. :wink:

Good luck.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm

yeah, your probably right, I'm easily intimidated sometimes.. until I get around to just doing it

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Is that the one in Kennesaw? I could get interested in such a thing if it was a weekend morning kind of thing but I wouldn't be able to take part until closer to summer. It's a 90-mile rounder for me and I'm currently evaluating the possibility of a new steering rack or tie rod. Hoping for a tie rod.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 am

That would be the correct location- I'll get their consensus for a good airbrush and the basics and go from there. I'm not optimistic about the class thing, though, honestly we all seem to have other things to do at any given time, I hate to admit it.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Wow! That looks GREAT! and just an FYI, Tamiya makes a rattlecan Semi Gloss Black..
-Howard Stark