1/18 scale A7V rivets

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 scale A7V rivets

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:44 am

Hey guys I need help.
The A7V is comming along SLOWLY. I need ideas on how to make the rivets. There are afew options out there. Rosie the Riveter and the like that use the glue and sirenge method. But they are better for smaller scale stuff. The only thing that I have come across that are about the true scale are tiny round headed brads from my loscal hardware store. But the shafts are hard to cut off. The other option is to drill tiny holes and put them in that way. But there are a lot of rivets and this will take about a week to do. Any ideas?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:35 am

when i made my Male Mk IV i used straight pins. The head size was almost perfect for a rivet. I built the tank out of paper and card stock, so it was a simple matter of pre-painting the heads of the pins, via spray painting and then pushing them into location on the model. The rivet locations were already marked on the model (i enlarged a 1/25 paper model), so it was a snap. I secured each pin with a tiny drop of white glue before pushing it home.

I don't know what you've made your tank out of, so i don't know if this idea will work for you but it may at least give you some ideas.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Aferguson. I am using 1/8 black plastic. So I would have to pre-drill . Which is the same problem with the brads. I have tried white glue on wax paper and the same with CA glue with so-so results. Any other ideas?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller