Nam F104 Upgrade

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Nam F104 Upgrade

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Awhile back I started thinking that Smoke II just didn't look right. So...I started thinking about conversions I could do without too much trouble. The sidewinder missles and their launch rails seemed to be the obvious choice...so out came the razor saw, drill bits, and assorted other tools. The end result was this.
ImageImage
The rail has been shortened by removing the clear piece at the aft edge. Then the rail was squared and sanded smooth at the attachment point at the wing. I had to saw off the large tab on the wing end-cap and also sand and square that edge. The two pin holes were drilled into both the wings and rails with brass wire inserted for strength. Perfect match! Eventually I want to fabricate under-wing pylons for two napalm tanks that I have already started on. The F104 did perform some ground attach missions during their short stay in Vietnam....the grunts were especially pleased with the speed the F104 got on target when called.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Rails

Post by MiG29K » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Clean and Flawless Job on the missle rails! I think I should have picked up one of these when I saw them for 20 bucks. I snoozed. Hopefully all has been good at your end. Pardon the pun but I have spoken to you since nam. How goes it?

R
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Dude!

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:50 pm

Hey partner! Been doing good (and busy). Had to shove the FA-18 aside awhile and get my sanity back. Latest projects (besides those you already know):
repaint Me-109G-6 into Hartmann markings
detail radio compartment of an TBF-1C Avenger
solve world hunger
win the lottory

Howz'it on your end...and where's that SEAD F-16 Viper?

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

stuff and more stuff

Post by MiG29K » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:00 pm

The SEAD Viper is somewhere probably in the next couple pages ish. I have hardly been here with any regularity with the Holidays, bad storms, powere outages and now snowboarding junkets. That centerline channel had to be fixed. You know what I've never seen mentioned here my friend? Aside from a mention of a Humvee with Anti-aircraft missiles, I've seen nothing on modern Howitzers/Field Artillery but especially Surface to Air Missile batteries. I think those would be interesting to see and probably easier than aircraft to pull out of a hat. Might have to look into that. But I sorta decide to take a hiatus since the holiday releases from the toy companies were as exciting as two day old ramen. Did you attempt to fix the avenger bomber doors? Anyhow, I like the new stuff you came out with and will keep looking out. I'll hit you up later man. Great stuff.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Dude....DOORS!

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:11 pm

The Avenger doors came out fantastic (although the a/c is totally unfinished). To make the bi-folding door work like it's supposed to is easy. I got brass tubing that was very small and a brass rod that fit snugly inside. I then cut the tubing into 1/4 inch segments and inserted the rod through the segments. I then scored and cut the doors apart and cleaned the cut line. By laying the doors inside up, I layed the brass tube/rod along the cut line and CA glued segents to the doors, alternating as I went. Then extract the rod and CA glue the segments better and let them dry overnight. Paint the segments interior green and it looks like it's made that way. These hinges are (if doon right) very smooth and will not hold the doors open. I found elastic black thread that I looped over the bulkhead supports at the front and aft ends of the bomb-bay above the door line. This thread is then attached to the corners of the two main doors where they come together along the centerline. The thread is just tight enough to hold the door closed. When open, the thread holds the doors tucked up in the bi-fold position without too much trouble. Took about an hour's worth of work over two days...simple.

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:57 pm

That looks terrific, great job!!!, they look awesome
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Nice work!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]