Contest???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

Contest???

Post by metalwar » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:37 am

I have only been a member of the board for alittle while but I was wondering if you guys have ever thought about doing a contest for dio's or customizing an existing vehicle. I didn't know if there was any interest in this.

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 am

There's been two custom model contests ran by Kamikaze (take a bow, sir). And 21C had a photo contest for diorammas a while back. Think there was one at some show in California, but didn't hear much about it.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:59 pm

Welcome aboard!!!! I myself would love to see another custom contest ---I think we sould have more!!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:37 pm

What ever happened to the custom 1/18 aircraft contest that was going on about a year or so ago? Who won and what plane? Custom contests for armor, figs and a.c. would be awesome. Just to see all the nice custom work is great.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Two suggestion I would have if anyone does a custom contest again:

(1) Allow for variety. Kam's first content was great because it was any 1/18. You got to see alot of creativity. Maybe narrow it down some, but I think the two-engine rules of the second really cut down on people entire, IMO.

(2) Come up with a standard picture size for submitting your entries. One thing with the contents is some of the pics are so small/blurry, you can't really appreciate the work everyone puts in. And unfortunately, we can't see all these in person, so the pics are what they get judged on.

And I'd even like to see a contest without the big prizes, if they could be done more often. Big prizes make people really go all out, but the contest themselves get me motivated to get my bum doing something :wink:
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Well said!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:34 pm

We should do a dio or fig contest. :idea:
XD aholic

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Morian Miner wrote:There's been two custom model contests ran by Kamikaze (take a bow, sir). And 21C had a photo contest for diorammas a while back. Think there was one at some show in California, but didn't hear much about it.
I think the show youre talking about is called 'Weekend of Heroes" in Ontario, CA. Very cool show I hear. I keep missing it but I plan to go next year. They have dio contest as well as costume and models. :wink:

FH

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Contest

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:06 pm

One of the 1/6th sites I belong to does a "Kitbash of the Month" that is voted on by a small committee of administrators and a few "guest" committee members. From time to time they will actually award prizes, but the normal "award" is a sticky post that has the entries and the winner that stays posted until the next months winner is announced. Hell, I'd buy that for a dollar!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:36 pm

oops, hit wrong button :oops:

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:44 pm

I am going to hold another contest this spring. I have not decided what the format will be yet. But this forum is the main reason I hold the contests. We are a great bunch of people here (especially me) :lol: and during some of the slow release years the contests helped keep me from loosing interest in the hobby. Also the contest offers prizes to people who put their time and money into making something really unique that the rest of us get to enjoy. The last contest was won by Jay in New Zealand with his custom Me-110. This year marked a milestone in that Bad Cat Aviation Toys gave Jay an F-86 Sabre jet along with my gift certificate and Euro-Panzer IV tank. If I can continue to get the (big guys) interested, Maybe someday we will see some of our customs produced or an annual contest sponsored by a manafacturer.
I incourage all of you to offer sugestions as to what would make the contests better. Those were some great suggestions from Morian Minor.
I will try to make improvements to make each contest better than the one before. I will try have a new contest up by the end of January.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Will the next contest just be on one subject? How about buildings, aircraft, armor, or figure categories?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:15 pm

My last two contests were very specific in scope Kevrut. I think this time I will have a more open competition that someone would be able to demonstrate his or her
particular talents. You guys feel free to chime in and let me know what you would like the contest subject or subjects to be.

Mark

metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

Post by metalwar » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:12 am

Would it be to broad to have a dio contest based in Europe 1944 1:32 or 1:18 scale vehicles or aircraft??

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:36 pm

I think we could do that. The reason I didn't do that in the past is that I wanted to keep the prizes sizeable and not spread out to much between a lot of different catagories.

Mark

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Morian Miner
Big prizes make people really go all out, but the contest themselves get me motivated to get my bum doing something
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated (especially if you have other interests / hobbies) so having a time limit imposed by this site may help lazy arses (like me) get and stay motivated to build custom projects.

So my initial thoughts trail only metalwar's idea, and really be date specific: perhaps any vehicle that operated During the D-Day invasion. Or maybe manufacturer specific: Any vehicle built by General Motors or it's various other divisions (would therefore include the wildcat for example, having been built in a GM factory)

Anyway just some thoughts to throw another log on the fire. :)
Last edited by Jay on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:09 pm

.........................Just thought of this whilst on the toilet (were all ideas are born :? ).
This one is more geared towards dioramas. How about a "photo brought to life" comp were people choose a photo from a book or the internet or whatever and basically replicate it in 3D diorama form?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:52 pm

What do you guys think about setting up a poll in which you (the forum) could decide the winner?

Mark

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Sounds good, but there is a flaw... :wink:

Easy way of cheating... :?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Yeah. your right Moth. I guess I'm stuck judging again. I was just trying to find a way to get more people involved.

Mark

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Well, you can make it a poll, and not make it a poll... :?

What I mean is, have a poll, but not with the poll option, each voter casts their vote by posting...

Catch my idea?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:57 pm

I hear where your coming from kamikaze. Now that I think about it, scratch buildign and converting an existing model are two different things. So how about a comp where people custom build a model on an existing platform that could be readily available? Say for example a BBI Mustang. The rules could be something like: Build any variation / paint scheme, as long as the conversion includes a completely non factory paint job. That way - everyone starts off on a level playing field with the same stock standard model. What do you guys think of that?

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Jay wrote:The rules could be something like: Build any variation / paint scheme, as long as the conversion includes a completely non factory paint job. That way - everyone starts off on a level playing field with the same stock standard model. What do you guys think of that?
I like that idea. A little off the topic, but do you have pictures of your 110 completed and painted? The last time I saw it was when you had just finished building it.

Not sure how this one is setup, but some other forums have poll options that will list who voted for a specific choice.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:28 pm

I would very much like to have a contest with separate catagories as Jay suggested but I have limited prizes and money. I think that I might have to continue the judging myself. I wish someone else would hold a contest so I could compete too. :( At any rate I'll have the new contest and rules posted at the end of January. This time you will have about 4 months to complete you entries. :wink:

Mark

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:50 am

Like someone else suggested, the board could do a customs of the month contest. Three board members could volunteer to judge (Aferg could be one since he doesn't have a digital camera to show us what he's done :wink: ). And maybe we can convince one of the sponsors/companies to throw in a top prize. As I've said, it doens't have to be something big, it might just be enough to bask in the praise of your peers :D