1:18 Electronic Warfare and Targeting Pods - F-16C

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

1:18 Electronic Warfare and Targeting Pods - F-16C

Post by MiG29K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:33 am

I kept trying to figure out why both the Hornet and the Viper had that rear tilted bias because of the high nose gear. It kind of reminds me of that kid on the playground trying to keep his nose from bleeding by tilting his head back. All the Viper pics I've seen show it standing more or less level or with a slight downward tilt. The Display/Avionics panel is also not flush with the upper dash. The gap is the size of the grand canyon and if you were sitting in the plane with a gap like that you could toss an entire bag of microwave popcorn in there - maybe a basketball. The only major plans I have for this plane are the External Centerline Fuel tank and the internal M61 Cannon with removable panels which I have no specific time frame for...(Too busy right now) I'll post those here under this topic in the future. Other than that, its up in the air what I'll do.
These two fixes only took about 7-10 minutes.

1. You might notice that the Display and Avionics Panel was not fitting flush with the upper dash area where the HUD rests. I thought it was because the entire floor tub area was not glued in properly. It looks like a miscalculation in the design. If you want to fix this, you will have to slice the edge of the panels and remove the console completely. A plug will have to be fabricated to stabilize and keep the panel in place. You will also want to cover the void ontop of the piece with a 1/4" square plastic piece. I debated over several months how to take the plane apart. It turns out it wasn't needed. Just a 10 min fix.

2. The nose gear went through the FATkins Diet Plan. It was obnoxious. But it had to be done. Took the X-acto for a lil Nip/Tuck.
Oh yeah. Not only can it steer, the plane sits LEVEL!

Here is the plane now sitting Level without the rear tilt bias:

No Falcons were harmed or injured during the project.
Last edited by MiG29K on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:39 am

Your skill. patience and attention to detail never fail to impress. I'm pretty laid back, but you make me feel like I have ADD. lol

Good work MiG.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:45 am

flpickupman wrote:Your skill. patience and attention to detail never fail to impress. I'm pretty laid back, but you make me feel like I have ADD. lol

Good work MiG.
Thanks Man....btw... kud u show me wur EYE-raq iz on thu map? (from you cartoon) haha...well I read a survey where some kid put Canada somewhere near Mongolia. I wanna cry man. Sad sad sad

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 am

Yeah, I just don't understand how kids can graduate high school and still be so damn ignorant. It boggles the mind.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Good job!!!!!!

Now can you walk us through that????
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 pm

Now that is just AWESOME!!!!!!! Very cool work as always! the extra details you achieve are just amazing! :D
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:08 pm

SKILLS brother---SKILLS!!!! :wink: ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

L85A1

Post by MiG29K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:19 pm

RED wrote:SKILLS brother---SKILLS!!!! :wink: ---RED---
Thanks as always Red! Check it out. I went to my local Surplus Store where my friend is an Airsoft Dealer and I saw that one new version L85A1 British Assault Rifle. DAMN...that sucker is FULL ON heavy, it feels like real steel and I was droolin over it. It is definitely an Xmas gift if it doesnt get sold out. And they have The Russian Grenade Launcher there too. I haven't hit the field since spring But we have snowed in winter games as well. There are a few locals who go die Hard on the WWII re-enacting. It was funny cuz during the summer all of us were in Modern Loadout with a few rag-taggers and our Platoon Leader looked straight out of some D-DAY movie and he was yelling orders kind of like LEE Ermy from Full Metal Jacket and my this one girl I brought a long to play was all freakin out cuz it was 'culture shock' to her. BTW where do you hook up your local stuff? I remember buying from 747 back in '98...big mistake- so overpriced!

R

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:08 am

:shock: Awww NO Rob`s trying to make the F-16 fly too :shock:
It`ll start off with all these jazzy Attention to detail as we saw with the F/A-18 then KA POW......she flies.

Seriously Rob, Excellent work mate,you truely DO have an eye for detail (imagine if you used both......LOL).

On another note,the Pilot has asked me to transfere to the UK :P Anyone think BBI will sell the Jet Jockey`s as carded figures one day???

Ja
Steel Bonnet

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:51 am

steelbonnet wrote::shock: Awww NO Rob`s trying to make the F-16 fly too :shock:
It`ll start off with all these jazzy Attention to detail as we saw with the F/A-18 then KA POW......she flies.

Seriously Rob, Excellent work mate,you truely DO have an eye for detail (imagine if you used both......LOL).

On another note,the Pilot has asked me to transfere to the UK :P Anyone think BBI will sell the Jet Jockey`s as carded figures one day???

Ja
Steel Bonnet
JA!! Welcome Back

Well if it ain't my NATO ally from across the pond...good to see you. Well some things are finally making SENSE now. In the past when you've made mention of certain brands of toys. I hadn't much clue or familiarity with them - Especially MICROMAN. I might have heard about it before but wasn't familar. This local store that sells Japanese Anime related Toys happened to get a hook up on some Micromen/Women haha. So I got one of each and now I have the perfect foundation for a Female F-18 Pilot. The current driver on my Hornet is getting sent on temporary assignment to another Fleet squadron. That said... the next pilot is rumored to be a Girl from the Naval Strike Air Warfare Center [NSAWC]. This is where the MicroGirl comes in - A little modification and... I'm gonna have to take a cue from our friend ScopeUK (Gotta make use of the sewing skillz) and make her Flight gear from surplus 1/6 scale uniforms. Not sure what I'm gonna do for a helmet (whether I'll FEMO Clay it or find something "off the shelf") Stay tuned for more bud- And about the Pilot. I think he put in a request for the exchange program at RAF Coningsby so he can get to drive the Eurofighter. Who knows, there maybe a slot open in a RAFALE squadron on the Foch! Alright JA - I hope things have calmed down a bit for you, give me the latest. And I picked up an F-86 for 19 bucks yesterday during my lunch hour. Couldn't pass it up.

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:22 pm

Rob,

As always, excellent work!. I look forward to seeing your chain gun conversion.

Cheers,

HD

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

F-16C SEAD W/ Landing Gear Area Rework

Post by MiG29K » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 pm

F-16C SEAD Mission Version. [Supression of Enemy Air Defenses / R Designation: F-16P!] (Click Center Mouse Button to move towards right of image)

1. Weapons Pylons for HARM Missiles

2. Center Channel Installation for attachment of External Fuel Tanks and Electronic Warfare and Targeting Systems.

3. An Electronic Warfare / Targeting Unit will be made and installed in place of the Fuel Tank. A HARM Targeting System will be installed on the Port Front Side of the Intake. Pics will be put up when completed.

And now meet Jenny from the BLOCK...

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Looks good as always!!! 8)

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks Mig29K I got my F-16 today and made the adjustments to the front landing gear and cockpit right away. One nice touch I did was I used clear acrylic floor wax on the gauges and computer screens in the cockpit.

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:02 am

these boards must have some of the most skilled customizers i've ever seen

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:57 am

Rob,

After what you did to the BBI F/A-18 & now what your doing to this bird. Damn mate why arn`t YOU working for BBI???

Your truely showing up there R&D guys you know.

Outstanding work mate & looking forward to this bird having the same full treatment as your F/A-18 & maybe both parked next to each other too???

I smell Rob`s own version of RED FLAG is in the pipeline :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet
My 1/18th Custom World. Updated 15th Dec.
http://www.freewebs.com/steelbonnet/

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:46 pm

steelbonnet wrote:
I smell Rob`s own version of RED FLAG is in the pipeline :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet
I agree, :D

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:34 pm

VERY VERY cool as always!!! I have to agree with Ja that you are certainly showing up BBI's team :D

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

AN/ASQ213 HTS and AN/ALQ-184 ASPS

Post by MiG29K » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Here are the newest Additions to Aircraft Systems: AN/ASQ213 HTS and AN/ALQ-184 ASPS. The first being the HARM Targeting System that was operational in 1999 to improve the tracking characteristics for the AGM-88 HARM Missile. The second system is the F-16's Airborne Protection System that uses high frequencies to jam enemy radar emissions. Both are produced by Raytheon. Now this Viper has the CJ Model Upgrade as seen in the 1/32 Scale Tamiya F-16CJ- These were built from raw polystrene plastic and now the plane can go into combat in the 1/18 scale world providing air support for Scope UK, JA's and RED's ground operations. All the Parts are 'Snap In' allowing for customization of load out or keeping the plane in "clean" mode. Domo Arigato. (Click Center Mouse Button to maneuver image)

AN/ALQ184 ASPJ - Electronic Warfare Pod:

AN/ASQ-213 Harm Targeting System HTS:

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:29 am

WOW I`m so surprised you don`t cast these & sell to other plane fans so they can mod there own aircraft loadouts Rob.

This is the sort of thing BBI SHOULD have covered or at least done a seperate ADD ON acc`s pack for the birds.
I have always said with their Apache they should have put in multi weapon choice & then the buyer/collector can tool the helo out for it`s various missions.

What I want to see Rob from you one day is both the F/A-18 & this Viper parked up with ALL the ordance layed out in the V formation in front of each bird. Now that would be something & I doubt you`ll have problems making ammo belts for the Guns to lay out either ;)

OUTSTANDING work Rob truely.

Ja
Steel Bonnet

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:17 am

steelbonnet wrote: I have always said with their Apache they should have put in multi weapon choice & then the buyer/collector can tool the helo out for it`s various missions.
But all they carry is rocket pods or Hellfire ATGMs! Even non-US Apaches don't carry much else - although the Dutch have a neat pair of jamming pods, and some birds are fitted to carry "wingtip" air-to-air missiles - Stingers, if memory serves correctly, in either a single on-rail style or an "over-and-under" box launcher.

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

D'oh!

Post by jeffrowse » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:19 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Forgot to say, "Wow, what incredible work! Way to go!"

:oops: :oops: :oops:

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:27 am

jeff,

Your right about the Apache payload But what i meant was they should have supplied or made an accessory set which contained another 8 Hellfires with cradle & 2 Rocket pods plus maybe Stingers.

Then you could have an Apache tooled up for pure Anti Armour duties with 16 hellfires on board or Anti Inf-light armour with 4 Rocket pods.

Maybe also the PIZZA dish so you can convert the Apache to a Longbow version or a British WAH version.
That`s why I think Aircraft Accessory sets would be a GOOD thing.

As it is as already said Rob truely IS putting BBI`s R&D guys to shame IMHO.

Ja
steel Bonnet

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

WOW

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 am

GREAT ! well done MIG29K ! as usual your creations are very well done ! i like the wingtip AMRAAM ! in fact i like evrything ! what a good job !

In comparaison my F 16 feel naked ( i've removed all ordonnances but the fuels tanks )

as we say in FRANCE : "bien joué " (well done)

see ya !

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:25 pm

Superb work as always you just keep on thinking of more and more details to add to these planes :D