British BREN Machine Gun

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

British BREN Machine Gun

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:58 am

Hi All,

Well the likes of Razor & several others may recall this when i first said I planned on doing this custom.

Well thank`s to Razor I got 3 of the XD Japanese LMG to rework to Brens.

I`ve always been a fan of this weapon from the first time I fired one when i was 13.
Well Finally gotten around to them though I`ve opted to show you the stages of them,they are all done now (last 2 are drying).

First off a Ref photo for those not sure of the Bren.

Anyway here Is the British Army BREN GUN.

First Bren WIP, I painted the Front barrel silver to be similar to the Bren. I also removed a section of the Butt stock & the carry handle. If you notice at the base of the magazine I have also added the Bren slant mag well. Also sanded down the barrels so they are smooth now.

Next we have No2 Bren WIP.Here you can see I`ve added the carry handle the correct way for a Bren. I`ve also carved the Magazine more akin to the style used on the Bren. Also you can see I`ve worked more on the body of the weapon to make it look like a Bren.Also on the left side you will notice the cocking lever.

Lastly Here is the Completed & painted Bren. This has had ALL the modifications done as WIP No2 has had & I`ve also redone the stock to the Bren style. So apart from Bipod I Present to you my WWII Bren Machine Gun for my Brits :D

Well Look forward to hearing comments on what you all think of the work done to turn the Japanese LMG to a British Bren gun.

Ja
Steel Bonnet

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 am

nice use of parts and WIP pics/ tutorial Ja

the Bren is a cool MG a i can't imagine a brit squad without one

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:43 am

Thank`s very Much Julien.

It`s about time WWII Brit`s got covered though If the manufacturers won`t do it,looks like it falls onto the customizer/collectors to step up 7 show them anything IS possible.

Same with WWII British Figures too.

Now to get sorted on some SMLE .303 rifles

Ja
Steel Bonnet

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:01 am

Looks great! :-D Those WIP shots are always scary until you see the final product. Nice use of Duct Tape, btw, I didn't they made it that small. (ha ha) :-)

Your reference photos showed the barrel as black, but you chose silver?

Either way, I say re-attach the bi-pods and those boys are ready to roll into action.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 am

Hey Grunt1,

Thank`s very much mate Appreciate the very kind words.
I know what you mean with WIP photos though I`m a big believer in using those for assisting others who may want to venture that path ;)

As for the front barrel colour. Well the Bren did come with Both coloured front ends,though must admit I`m thinking of painting black :D

Also I`m lost on the duct tape comment mate,all mods are done with with sculpting clay (Milliput type). No duct tape at all used on the Bren.

Again Thank`s & yea once bi pod is on it will make the difference that much more :D

Again Big Thank`s :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 am

Nice work ja on the mods i hadn't even thought of doing this but it is a very good idea and great to see wip pics.

Any plans to make a more modern version ala Falklands War?

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 am

Thank`s very much scopeUK :D

I`m pretty happy with how the Brens turned out & as for the LMG I have had thoughts for doing a couple of those but first I need to aquire more of the Japanese LMGs to customize.
Such ashame I cannot cast,then rework one of the brens :(

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:03 pm

Hey STEELBONNET!!!!!Sorry I didn't see this post before my last one---so I wanted to see some more pics of the Bren and here they are ---right under my nose!!!!!! :lol: :lol: Nice job---and I love the WIP pics!!!!Sometimes it is hard to see how a custom is going to turn out unless you have some WIP pics to show!!!!And it's like you said---the pics also help assist others who might want to try the same custom!!!!!Again great job---your Brens came out very nice!!!! IMHO I think the black barrel looks better --- it just has a more military look about it!!!! :wink: I hope things are good on your side of the pond!!!! :D ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:41 am

you got it right on target. Exactly as the picture shows! love it man!

R
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas