FLAMETHROWER ACTION UPDATE!!!!

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

FLAMETHROWER ACTION UPDATE!!!!

Post by RED » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Hey y'all ---Got apic of my 1st attemped at fire and 21stC!!! Made a few mistakes but I know how I want to do next time. :D Oh no 21stC Marines or Japanese troops were hurt,burned,or killed while makeing this pic !!!:lol: :lol: Hope y'all enjoy!---RED---[img][img]http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/2777/frogbelly060437uf.jpg[/img]
Last edited by RED on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:41 pm

i remember once i was toying with the idea of making a 1/18 sherman flamethrowing tank that shot real flame. I was going to use pressurized lighter fluid, stored inside the turret, remake the barrel out of hollow metal and figure out some way of igniting the fluid as it shot out of the barrel. Fortunately (or unfortunately), common sense prevailed and i never went ahead with it...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:42 am

WOW RED now that`s something i doubt i`d ever try for fear of melting figure...........LOL

Still that looks pretty impressive mate :D

Biten, set alight,you goto the extremes for the hobby mate :D LOL

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:20 am

Hey y'all --Thanks guys--AFERGUSON--I have a old COED Sherman I got for a few bucks that I have been useing for parts( it was a display at TRU and was damaged)--I never thought about a flamethrowing Sherman before!!! I think I can rig it up for a DIO pic shooting a real flame!!! :) I'll give it a try cause I think it would make for a real cool DIO pic--Keep checking back 8) :) STEELBONNET--I didn't melt a fig but I came as close to melting one as possible with out doing it. :lol: It was all trial and error but I think I know what I need to do next time to get the shot I want!!! I'am going to try it again this weekend so I hope to have a few more pics up SUNDAY---I hope-- if I don't blow myself up :shock: ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:30 am

Well you just take care & look forward to seeing what you DO take photos of over the weekend then :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:57 pm

Hey y'all---heres my 2nd attempt at fire and 21stC !!!!I think its a better pic than the 1st--- but I think I could still do better!!! I just used a can of WD40 off to the side with the red straw under the Marines gun and sprayed it on a small fire I already had going.A little tricky getting the time'n down right .:x --- But I hope y'all enjoy---RED---Image[/img]Image

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 am

Bloody Hell That`s HOT!!! You`ve done a Flamin Great dio there mate :D

Totally impressed :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:53 am

The best one yet!!!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 am

Igniting the spray from a can of WD-40, or Pam cooking oil, or Off insect repealant works well (I made flame throwers a few times when I was in the Boy Scouts :wink: )

However, BE CAREFUL that your can doesn't explode!! Some friends of mine (again when I was in the Scouts) threw a large pressurized can of Off insect repealant into their camp fire, which caused a very nice explosion! The kids were saved from potentially serious injury from shrapnel by the metal firepit ring. I saw the incident from a distance and what prompted them to do it may never be know :roll:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:59 am

another method i used for simulating flame on my flamethrowing tank was to put a small can of silly string like stuff inside the body/turret of the tank. It didn't burn of course but was a bright orangely yellow and shot out of the hollow barrel i made, looking just like flame from a real tank (that kind of stringy look you see in pics/film) and the sound was the same kind of hiss that flame throwing tanks make.

I'm wondering if you could do this trick and spray it onto your burning fire...don't know if silly string will ignite when it hits the flames, i doubt it somehow but if you sprayed it onto a fire that's already burning well and snap your picture it could look pretty cool i bet.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 pm

AFERGUSON---That was my biggest problem--trying to get the time'n right!!! It was hard trying to take the pic and get the spray to ignit and feed close to the end of the red straw---as soon as the spray hit the fire it all happend really,really quick!!! :lol: :lol: So maybe I'll give it another try this weekend!!! :D TMAN--I think you need new friends !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: