Correcting the GAU-12 gun / ammo pods for the Harrier II and adding the loadout..

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Correcting the GAU-12 gun / ammo pods for the Harrier II and adding the loadout..

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks to Pizzaguy for making copies of these. It's just a shame he didn't have better parts to copy from. I started detailing the gun pod by adding a length of 1/4" evergreen tubing to the gun exhaust port.

I'm going to have to scratch-built the crossover fairing that goes between the gun pod and ammo pod because it's not even close to correct. Again, not his fault.
Since I want to hang a Targeting pod on the center line, I'll need to scratch-build the pylon as well. Updates as work progresses. I'm desperately trying to find better reference pics of the fairing and pylon. Thanks for looking.

Steve
Last edited by A-10LOADER on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Correcting the GAU-12 gun / ammo pods for the Harreir II

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:13 pm

If anyone has reference pics of the fairing and the pylon, by all means please share, thanks again.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Working on the "crossover fairing" for the gun system today. As you can see, the panel is no where near being close to being correct, it's too flat and one dimensional.

A friend of mine printed these out for me to use as reference material for the new fairing.

Next, after multiple attempts I finally got the template made for the fairing using some HD card stock. When everything is locked in where it should be, it fits good and looks more the part.

Now I just need to transfer this to some sheet plastic, add some details, panel fastener details and, the air scoop. Until the next update.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Finished up the "crossover fairing" today. Really happy with how it came out and I think it looks more the part.
I transferred my card stock template to some .020" sheet plastic and cut it out. Then I folded the bends in the plastic using a metal ruler as a straight edge and bent it with my fingers.

Next, I added the panels, their fasteners and, the gun fairing exhaust vent. The vent was made from a piece of 7/32"tubing, sanded at an angel until it looked right. I used some Tamiya panel line wash to check everything.

I needed a way to lock in the shape of the fairing so I could add the small panels the run on both sides of the fairing where it contacts the pods. I measured the length of the fairing on the jet and set my clamps, on a ruler, at that point. This held the fairing in the correct shape.

I opted to do one large piece of .010"sheet plastic, on each side of the fairing, instead of separate tiny strips. This will also help the fairing keep it's shape after the glue dries.

Once the glue was dry it was just a matter of cutting the plastic to the proper width.

After all the trimming was complete it fit really good into the spot and looks so much better IMO. With my lack of good reference pics I'm not sure how accurate it really is but, it's an improvement and I'm happy with it.
Now I can get the gun/ammo pods and the fairing in some primer.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 am

Hello everyone,
I managed to get paint (custom mix of Model Master Enamels) on the gun/ammo pods. I also sprayed the metal areas with Model Master steel. Up next a semi-gloss coat and then some weathering followed by a flat coat and it will be finished.

Steve

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am

Looking great! I just got my pods from Pizzaguy and it’s helpful seeing your build. I probably won’t do the accurate faring like you did, but will paint the pods and add the gun barrel. What model master enamels did you mix to get the color? I know the Harrier kit instructions say “light ghost gray”, but that MM color appears too light I think...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 am

Tmanthegreat,
You are correct, Light Ghost Gray IS NOT the color on the bottom of the Harrier.
It took some doing but, here's what was used. These are all Model Master enamels colors BTW.
Aircraft Gray FS 16473 @40%
Duck Egg Blue FS 35622 @35%
Insignia White FS 17875 @20-25%
All this was mixed in a one ounce jar. Hope this helps, good luck. The color is close enough and after weathering it should look fine.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 am

I finished up the Harrier gun/ammo pod today. Very happy with how it came out and thanks again to Nathan (Pizzaguy) for casting these. Like I said earlier, the pods change the whole look of the jet for the better. Now if I could just find good pics of the center line pylon for the AN/AAQ-28 Targeting pod. Enjoy the pics.

Steve

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Your finished results look fantastic! Something to aspire too :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks, glad you like it. Best of luck with yours.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Correcting the GAU-12 gun / ammo pods for the Harrier II and adding the loadout..

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:05 am

I've got some recent additions that I'm adding to the jet but, since my last visit something has changed and I'm unable to post photos. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Steve