What airbrush do you use?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

What airbrush do you use?

Post by pizzaguy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 am

I've been using a Paasche VL series for years. It has been ok but not great.
The VL is a siphon airbrush. I would like to switch to a gravity feed version.

What does everyone else use? What are the pros and cons of your brush?

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: What airbrush do you use?

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:49 am

I've been using a Paasche VLS for over 20 years now and I love it. It's always been a workhorse for me and, very dependable and, it's super easy to clean.
Since I've been having issues with my hands / arms, I recently purchased a GREX Tritium TG3 gravity feed airbrush. It also performs beautifully and is very easy to clean.
You have to remember, everyone is different, as far as likes and dislikes so, what one person might love another might dislike.
I've heard great things about IWATA and H&S airbrushes but, for me what I have works just fine.
I think the MOST important factor is experience and practice. Plus, let's not forget the other factors involved, what paints are you spraying, are they mixed properly, are you using the correct thinning agents, what environment are you spraying in (too hot, too cold, too humid) All this comes into play as well.
Good luck with your search and I hope you find what works for you.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 am

Iwata Eclipse. I got it at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon, however they don't seem to carry the gravity-fed model anymore. I would avoid the Neos as they are a bargain version and have some quality issues.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm

I used a Pasche single action siphon airbrush for nearly two decades before switching to a dual-action Iwata eclipse siphon-fed airbrush as well as an Iwata Neo dual action gravity fed brush. I liked the Neo as it was gravity fed and I could get much finer lines and details with it while using the little compressor it came with that had a low airflow option. However, after about a year of use, I’ve had to replace the needle a couple times and I’m starting to get some issues with it clogging more frequently, despite regular cleaning. Part of my issues may be with the little compressor possibly starting to burn out. My other compressor is a 1/4 HP compressor that really puts out too much air for fine painting and can wake up the entire neighborhood if I use it at night... Maybe time I get a new compressor with adjustable airflow.

But I would recommend researching dual action gravity fed airbrushes as those seem to be what the pros most often use. Iwata generally makes a good product too.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I also use the Iwata Eclipse and it works great.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you for all the input. The airbrush I have is about 20yrs old. I picked up a new Paasche VL at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $35. It's a big improvement. I read somewhere that the VL has a inner seal that can go bad over time. That was probably most of my problems. Now it's back to business.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Nathan,
That's a bargain !!

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:21 am

What would you guys recommend say $75!to $100 range in cost? Thanks
Rob

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:39 am

A Paasche VLS kit.

Steve

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 am

I would recommend the iwata HP plus series. I have been using it for 3 years and never look back. I previous used another well know US brand (forget the name) for 6 years but it's no comparison to the Iwata HP.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Just arrived today, looking forward to trying it out. I wanted a good detail brush and I believe this will fit the bill. $180.00 with free S&H from, arrived in two days.
http://www.spraygunner.com

Steve