Custom Vietnam M-113A1 ACAV - Even More Mods!

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Custom Vietnam M-113A1 ACAV - Even More Mods!

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am

I have a 21c XD 1/18 M-113 that has been an ongoing customization project to properly back-date it from the modern M-113A2/A3 tooling 21c made to a proper Vietnam War-era M-113A1. This started out as an incomplete diecast M-113 in the OD paint scheme that I got from a board member. Back in 2015 I removed the stowage, filled in the holes, removed the rear external fuel tanks, installed of one of Pickelhaube's turret shield sets and gave it a new paint scheme. While I was happy with the model at that point, I didn't have the correct rear fenders nor fully accurate markings and that bugged me.

Then a few weeks ago, I came across someone making the fenders in 1/18 scale on Shapeways and picked up a set. The same seller also made spare wheels, so I got one as well. The fenders were fairly easy to install. I then updated the markings using a variety of spare 1/35 decals in addition to the ones previously applied in 2015. The US Army/serial number markings are perhaps a bit tiny, but looking at historical photos, there was a ton of variation in the size of the ID stenciling, so I think they work out here The vehicle was then finished off with some basic dust/dirt weathering. Although vehicle is marked as being part of the 3/4 Cavalry Division (which did deploy to Vietnam and did use M-113s) it is a fictitious scheme that is more-or-less accurate for the Vietnam period.

Enjoy the pics :D

"Before" picture of the M-113 when the last phase of customization was completed in 2015 - note inaccurate rear fenders.

Installing the fenders while trying to preserve existing markings and painted parts on the rear ramp.

Completed model with accurate fenders, accurate period markings, artwork, and weathering.

Last edited by tmanthegreat on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Custom Vietnam M-113A1 - The Latest Mods

Post by granch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:38 am

Nice work!

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Rylau » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Great work as always Tman. I'm really glad you posted this now since Shapeways has the free shipping. I took advantage for the fenders , Panzer lights and 105 rounds. Bob
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 am

Tman, great job on both the 113 APC and Brummbar :!: The picture frame display base is a cool idea
and the cabinet with the armor in it, very nice.

tmanthegreat

Re: Custom Vietnam M-113A1 - Even More Mods

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm

My customized 21c Vietnam War M-113 has received some further modifications, courtesy of Picklehaube's M60 gun shield parts. This latest addition was a multi-step process that first involved removing the stowage I had originally glued to the vehicle roof, filling holes with putty, sanding down glue stains, then repainting the roof section while being careful not to damage the existing markings. I next assembled Picklehaube's M60 shields (again a lot of sanding, puttying, priming, painting and weathering) and mounted them so that they are able to swivel. To make the shields swivel, I glued a small piece of coat hanger wire to a hole drilled into the base/support of the shield. I then drilled a hole into the roof of the M-113 and then inserted the shield and gun onto the vehicle roof.

The M-113 is crewed with some 21c XD first series Vietnam soldiers and vehicle driver figures.

Enjoy the pics :D

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Custom Vietnam M-113A1 ACAV - Even More Mods!

Post by mutt71 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Beautiful parts from Pickelhaube. Both editions of your M-113 came out very nice.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Very cool Tman! Nice job making the gun shields moveable, good idea.
I also like the decals....."here come da judge" wow thats a flash back :shock: from
the days of Laugh In. Anyhow are they Verlinden 1:16?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Like what you've done to it so far. Great representation of a Vietnam ACAV.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Regarding the decals, they are a mixture of old 1/18 John's Stuff decals for the stars (the stars are a holdover from my initial modification of the vehicle) and then a mixture of 1/35 decals drawn from both the Tamiya and Revell M-48 kits. The Revell 1/35 M-48 has a lot of the "graffiti" type markings, peace symbols, etc and they were just large enough to work with the M-113. The US Army/Serial number is a bit tiny, but looking a reference photos, there was almost no standard size for those with some being large and some small, so I felt it worked...

I was coordinating with someone to make some custom decals for the markings since Jackson is out of that business, but they disappeared and so I went with the 1/35 decals from the kits. If my decal person reappears, I may wind up with yet another modification to this model 8)

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Those are decals :?: :shock: They look painted on. Great Job :!:

Some serious firepower. That's a lot of ammo on deck!

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks Axis!

A few years ago, I discovered by accident a way to get decals to look “painted on” when doing one of my first armored vehicle customs. Basically once I have the main painting done and before I add the weathering, I apply a coating of dull coat, let it dry for a while, then apply the water-slide decals. Once those have thoroughly dried, I will apply Micro Sol to soften the decal and get it to conform to any surface irregularities if necessary. Sometimes they don’t need the application of Micro Sol because the surface is smooth or the decal filmm is thin enough to bend to any irregularities - other times it really helps. Once that is dry, I will spray the decals with dull coat again to seal them. The dull coat often works like the Micro Sol to softens the decal and get it to almost blend with the surface it is on. I then add the weathering and dusting effect, which further helps to blend in the decals.

Hope this helps give you some ideas :D

Also, since my last post, I made some other minor mods to my M-113, namely removing the big star on the sides of the vehicle. Looking at a lot of historical photos, the M-113 ACAVs didn’t have the stars painted on the sides of the vehicle, I assume to help reduce visibility (a big white star makes a good target). Here are a couple of the latest pictures 8)

Here’s a historical photo of an M-113 ACAV, apparently from the 3/4 Cavalry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, that exemplifies the look I was going for with my model.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:00 am

Nicely done !!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Cool idea using the dull coat before the decals Tman.
Great job on this 113.