1/18 Scale Runway/Tarmac Diorama Board Redux

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Scale Runway/Tarmac Diorama Board Redux

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:26 am

I revisited my 1/18 scale runway/taxiway diorama display board this past week. My original effort (below) used cardboard squares painted gray to try and get a 3D effect, but this never worked that well as the cardboard warped and had trouble staying fixed to the baseboard.

Original Version

Redone Version

For the redo, I followed the example of A10Loader with the display board he made for his custom-weathered Harrier... I got a large piece of foam board, scratched in the cracks between the "concrete blocks" using a screw driver, then painted a base coat of dark gray and a top coat of Rustoleum matte gray automotive primer to get the weathered look. I then painted the yellow taxi line, traced the cracks with a permanent sharpie marker, and added the strip of fake moss/grass to the one side. Strips of balsa wood were then affixed to the sides of the board to give it a finished look. Here is the final product with various planes displayed:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: 1/18 Scale Runway/Tarmac Diorama Board Redux

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Nice work, well done.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Looks great, it works very well with the aircraft. With a nice base like that you could display a different
plane every week. :salute:

YT

Post by YT » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Neat idea.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton