Dremel questions

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dremel questions

Post by AJWW2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:11 pm

I know the Dremel can be a useful tool in this hobby so I'm looking into purchasing one. I'm just wondering which Dremel models and various bits are the best for standard usage on plastic and such. Just for sanding, grinding, drilling, cutting, etc. for mods and scratchbuilding. Thanks for your input.

Andrew
it be like dat

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Dremel questions

Post by Snake Man » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 am

My only gripe about the Dremel is that it is EXTREMELY under powered. You cannot bear down with it at all. You have to learn very gentle and patient when using it. The thin cutting discs are very fragile, and break easily, so buy plenty if you plan to use them. I am used to using much more powerful equipment. However, the Dremel can work nicely when used within it's limitations.

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am

Are there any more powerful alternatives to the Dremel for use in the hobby?

Thanks

Andrew
it be like dat

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:26 pm

1) Don't get a Dremel. Get a Craftsman Rotary Tool... They own Dremel, and it's basically the same thing, and costs less.

2) Get variable speed... Single speed ones are difficult to control. You'll want one with a sliding switch and multiple speeds.

3) I recommend a flex-shaft for intricate work. You can hold it like a pencil, better control.

4) I recommend a foot pedal... Get it at harbor freight. Helps a ton again with control.

5) Look around Harbor Freight... They have a lot of Dremel bits for cheap. They'll get you started.

6) Look for "Dremel" brand bits on sale... They're sold at Sears and other places, and you can nab them for cheap. I got the quick change bits recently and love 'em.

7) You could try out a Harbor Freight Rotary Tool (variable speed) that comes in a big starter kit. It's not expensive, would maybe give you a feel for these and move up from there to something better quality. It's not a bad tool itself. I use one at my gf's house in the garage when I have to. Worth having.

Dremel, as a brand, is like buying Levi Jeans... YOu're paying for the name there more than the quality. Craftsman owns Dremel and actually when I got my Craftsman tool and you tore it down, it's stamped with Dremel parts.

Using a single speed dremel is a bear (I've done it, it can be done, but it sucks), and without the flex shaft you lose a lot of control too.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!