Kit Build: Revell Mig-21PF in 1/32 Scale

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Kit Build: Revell Mig-21PF in 1/32 Scale

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:14 pm

My BBI 1/32 scale F-4 Phantoms needed an adversary and since BBI may have folded and the chances of getting another pre-built jet in the scale are slim to none, that meant I had to build one. I wound up purchasing a 1975-vintage Revell 1/32 scale Mig-21PF because the kit was cheap, seemed simple enough, and came with Russian and North Vietnamese markings.

The kit was in near perfect shape considering that it is over 40 years old. However, the old kit was not without its quirks as building progressed... There was lots of flash to sand off (more so than modern kits seem to have) and part fit was not the greatest, which required a bit of puttying over gaps, sanding, then repeating. The kit came with both the early and later tail configurations for the Mig-21PF so it could accurately replicate the North Vietnamese (early) or Russian (later) aircraft. Action features include the opening canopy and separating tail section to reveal a detailed Tumansky R-25 jet engine.

I used Tamiya Gloss Aluminum spray (TS-17) for the overall silver coat with various Tamiya grays for the cockpit interior, Testors Interior Green for the wheel wells, and Tamiya Dark green for the nose cone and tail sections. My initial plan was to not glue the landing gear and doors so I could theoretically display the plane in both the gear-up and gear-down configurations. The main gear wound up being too wobbly and the tab on one snapped, so I glued them in place.

In the end, this was my final result. I decided to go with the Russian version of the Mig-21PF, basically because they were the primary user of the type. I may build a 2nd plane in the North Vietnamese configuration for a gear-up option if I can get another kit cheap. It's not perfect, but looks the part and now my BBI F-4s have something to shoot at 8)

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Re: Kit Build: Revell Mig-21PF in 1/32 Scale

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Very nice.

The lines are clean and simple.

Great job.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

normandy

Re: Kit Build: Revell Mig-21PF in 1/32 Scale

Post by normandy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:43 am

The pair look great together Tman! Your Fishbed very nicely finished.