WIP: Modifications to the Merit 1:16 scale T-34/85

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

WIP: Modifications to the Merit 1:16 scale T-34/85

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Nothing really fancy, but I finally got a hankering to open up the commander's hatch on my Merit 1:16 scale T-34/85 and to start adding some other small details. The hatches on this model are all moulded on and cannot be opened or popped off. I finally went at the model with a razor saw and exacto knife to carefully cut out the commander's hatch. I also added a wire radio antenna. With some minor sanding and touch-up, I think it came out looking pretty good :D

Before:
(Flying Mule product photo)

After:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: WIP: Modifications to the Merit 1:16 scale T-34/85

Post by B17Fortress » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Very nice!

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:19 am

Definitely a needed modification. Very good job!!
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:44 am

T-Man The Toy Surgeon !!

:D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks guys. I don't often cut apart perfectly good models, but it was needed in this case to "liven up" the T-34. It was sort of a gamble as I risked damaging the tank, but it turned out to go a lot easier than I expected... And with a little sanding and minor paint touch-up, came out pretty decent :D

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:00 pm

What did you use for the hinges? Looks really good?
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:41 pm

In addition to Corey's questions, is the inside of the turret hollow, or would it have to be carved out to accommodate a 1:18 figure?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am

cjg476 wrote:What did you use for the hinges? Looks really good?
The hinges are the same tooling that was on the model to begin with. There was a definite gap between the two halfs of the hinges that could be cut through without taking off too much of each hinge. The tooling followed a straight line that was easy to cut. You can kind of see what I mean in this picture:

I cut through the hinges very carefully with a razor saw, then after sanding, glued the hatch to the other half of the hinges on the cupola. The little tab on the right hinge served as a guide to ensure proper alignment. Use of a razor saw was very essential in this case as it could be controlled easily. The Dremel would have moved too fast and risked running off track to either damage the hatch or cupola, which would have ruined the model. It did take about 2 hours of carefully sawing bit-by-bit around the hatch to ensure I kept in the proper place, then a few minutes of sanding, but was worth the extra time!
B17Fortress wrote:In addition to Corey's questions, is the inside of the turret hollow, or would it have to be carved out to accommodate a 1:18 figure?
The turret inside is hollow, however, the cupola turned out to be a separate piece fixed to the top of the turret and secured by a peg attached to the center of the hatch. The cupola is only .5" deep. I had to cut through the peg to remove the hatch, then remove and sand down what was left of the peg so at least half of a figure could be placed in the hatch. I suppose one could cut through the turret roof to create a hole for a complete figure to fit in the hatch...

Regarding figures, I've ordered a set of 1:16 scale resin WWII Russian Tankers made by Verlinden. The set includes a "whole figure" and a "half figure" that should fit in the cupola (see picture below). I'll have to paint it myself.

In the mean time, I customized a Russian tanker figure using a 21c 1:18 D-Day series US tanker figure with heavy coat and repainted soft helmet from a Star Wars pilot. The tanker figure's legs could be easily popped off at the thigh-level without damaging the figure, allowing it to fit in the shallow cupola space . The 21c figures were always a bit on the large size for 1:18 scale and don't look too tiny in a 1:16 scale vehicle :)

That's the FOV 1:16 scale diecast M4 Sherman tank and the Dragon 1:6 scale Panzer II with commander and riders in in the background 8)

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Nice work on the hatch and the tanker Tman!
I like your Panzer II but thats what keeps me in 1:18....I'd never have enough room for all the 1:6 armor I'd want. :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:50 pm

Here's a new update for the T-34 project... I completed a proper WWII Russian tanker to go in the commander's hatch on my Merit T-34. The figure is a resin kit from Verlinden. I assembled the figure parts in the tank hatch, prior to painting, in order to get the arms placed in the correct positions. When painting, it took me a few tries to make a passable attempt at a realistic-looking face on the figure, but with further practice, I'll get better :wink:

Enjoy :D

Verlinden 1:16 scale WWII Russian Tanker Figure Kit:

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Very good!