1/18th F-14A "BLACK KNIGHTS" Tomcat, JSI's 2nd release

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: 1/18th F-14A "BLACK KNIGHTS" Tomcat, JSI's 2nd release

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Mini update for today,

I glued the Island and Radar tower to the flightdeck so, the model part of this display is finished !! I am just waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can take this outside and gets shots of it all.

On a side note, the jointer will be fixed tomorrow so I can get started on the trim for the cabinet, ( as soon as I buy the lumber ). Probably a few more weeks until this is completed but it should look pretty cool once the trim is on it and all those "extra items" are hanging on the display.

Thanks for all your interest.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Today's update,

Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of the sunny day and took shots of the display outside. While I'm happy with how the ocean looks in the sun, I was not happy with how the jet looked on the display in the sun. The shadow the Tomcat projected made the display look stupid IMO. The scale effect was totally lost. I either need to shoot the display again on a not so sunny day, wait until the sun is lower in the sky or, wait until the lighting in the aviation room is better.

Next step is to buy the lumber and start milling up the trim for the cabinet. Thanks for your interest in this project and comments, critiques welcomed.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:42 pm

A-10LOADER, I'm not so disturbed by the scale effect. Of course, the shadow of the Cat is not appreciated... you could add a lot of coton balls to simulate some low clouds, just under the cat to cover the shadow. You can then move them as the sun turns... :wink:
I'm a little bit disappointed by the waves around the carrier. I believed that they would more form some V starting at the bow... but as you now, it's difficult for a swiss citizen to see how a carrier moves on the ocean... Is the ocean surface so blue? I thought it would be more green-grey.
These are my only critics, possibly not adequate considering where I'm living!

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:49 am

granch wrote:A-10LOADER, I'm not so disturbed by the scale effect. Of course, the shadow of the Cat is not appreciated... you could add a lot of coton balls to simulate some low clouds, just under the cat to cover the shadow. You can then move them as the sun turns... :wink:
I'm a little bit disappointed by the waves around the carrier. I believed that they would more form some V starting at the bow... but as you now, it's difficult for a swiss citizen to see how a carrier moves on the ocean... Is the ocean surface so blue? I thought it would be more green-grey.
These are my only critics, possibly not adequate considering where I'm living!
Thanks granch,
The cotton balls are something to consider, tough scale effect wise though ?? We'll see.

The "V" forming off the bow would depend on how fast the carrier was moving. I guess mine is not moving that fast plus, I didn't want to go too big or crazy with a large V because I was trying to keep everything in scale. It was a learning experience for sure.

I took some shots today in the aviation room, maybe these are a little bit better ?? I'm use to shooting real jets on a real flightline. It's tough to make a model look like the real deal.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:26 pm

A10LOADER, the 4th pic is the best for me. Same view from a little bit above the jet as in your first shot. Finally, my eyes went from the plane to the boat and ignored the jet's shadow on the water. Very impressive.
I often make shoots of my small BBI world outdoor. I think that it must not looks too excessively realistic. Particularly to show the work. Some small details add a lot, perheaps less making the diorama more realistic, but more enhancing the interest to the show.
After all, we are not God creating the world, but people who have fun to make 3D image of the reality and put their best skill into it. And the one who needs to make things more realistic than the real thing should better try to buy the real thing...
I hope that you are anough satisfied whith what you've done. Sorry for my bad english, it is not so simple for me to express what I think.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am

well done ! just like chuck Norris !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:14 am

supersonicfifi wrote:well done ! just like chuck Norris !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 am

Little update for today,

All the lumber has been milled up for the display base. I'm now working on getting all the wood trim cut and fitted for the base. Everything will be stained and clear coated BEFORE being applied to the cabinet. It's just the way I always do my trim work, a lot easier IMO.

Steve

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jwcarpenter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Steve,

What an awesome display! It is an impressive size. The F-14 in 1/18 scale is not small by any means and your display beautifully encapsulates it perfectly.

P.S. that looks like Wayne Simmonds on that Flyers poster in the background. He is one of my favorite players.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:12 am

Jwcarpenter wrote:Hi Steve,

What an awesome display! It is an impressive size. The F-14 in 1/18 scale is not small by any means and your display beautifully encapsulates it perfectly.

P.S. that looks like Wayne Simmonds on that Flyers poster in the background. He is one of my favorite players.
Thanks buddy, appreciate it very much.

You are correct, that is Simmer. He is featured for the month of April in the calendar, good eye.
Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:53 am

The display is finished, finally !! The only thing left to do is get an acrylic cover made to keep everything dust free. I'm very happy with how everything came out and I think it makes for a nice "ready room" display.

To bring everyone up to speed with this project,

Let me start out by saying that this did not start out as your traditional "model kit" and I did not build it. It is a pre-built / finished model released by JSI International LTD. It was their second release, of their F-14 Tomcats, in 2011 and since I'm nuts about Tomcats I had to have it. Their first version was a very poorly finished VF-84 F-14A, released in 2009. I am currently converting the VF-84 F-14A into a VF-103 F-14B, which can be viewed in the " In-Progress Pics " forum if you so choose.

I was much happier with their paint job on this second version that I chosen to leave her as is, kind of a BEFORE and AFTER versions if you will. I did do a couple of modifications however, first I added a Pilot and RIO and custom painted their helmets in VF-154 livery and added kneeboards to the aircrew. I also painted the CCG ( Computer Control Group ) of the GBU-16's flat brown.

Everything you see here I did myself, except for the water which I had never done myself, I had help with that. The carrier was added to the scene, the stand on which the Tomcat sits on, the items that hang on the sides of the display and, the box and all the trim. Quite the project but, well worth it IMO. I hope you all enjoy the photos and thanks for following along with this.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:52 pm

That is one awesome display and an outstanding way to showcase the Tomcat. What scale is the carrier?

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 pm

rschaap wrote:That is one awesome display and an outstanding way to showcase the Tomcat. What scale is the carrier?
Thanks very much.

I have no idea what scale the carrier is. It measures 8 3/4" long though.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Based on what I've read it looks to be about 1/1450 scale. "Shapeways" makes a 1/1200 scale carrier aircraft set, I don't think the scale difference would be that noticeable. If your considering aircraft.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/snafu?s= ... B+1%2F1250

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:38 pm

rschaap wrote:Based on what I've read it looks to be about 1/1450 scale. "Shapeways" makes a 1/1200 scale carrier aircraft set, I don't think the scale difference would be that noticeable. If your considering aircraft.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/snafu?s= ... B+1%2F1250
Thanks for the link. Now you've got me thinking and here I thought I was all finished with this display.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Either way it's an outstanding display. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to display my Tomcat. I find both of yours inspiring.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:40 am

Either way it's an outstanding display. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to display my Tomcat. I find both of yours inspiring.
Same here ! this is trully AWESOME ! we are lucky that our favorite scale is not 1/6 !!!!! If not the tomcat would fill your entire living room :)

1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:53 am

supersonicfifi wrote:
Same here ! this is trully AWESOME ! we are lucky that our favorite scale is not 1/6 !!!!! If not the tomcat would fill your entire living room :)

That would be awesome to have a 1/6 scale Tomcat hanging from the ceiling in the living room. I'm pretty sure my wife would blow a gasket.
Last edited by rschaap on Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon May 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Beautiful work. I love it.
I wish I have the space to display my BK F14 properly.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue May 31, 2016 4:39 pm

cnq wrote:Beautiful work. I love it.
I wish I have the space to display my BK F14 properly.
Thanks very much cnq, I'm glad you like it.

Steve