Indiana Jones German Truck Mod Progress

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Indiana Jones German Truck Mod Progress

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:50 am

Still have a ways to go. Headlights, additional weathering, markings to add, truck bed, grill area, etc., but here we are so far. Used many pictures form different sources to come up with this generic combo. will post again when complete.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

YT

Re: Indiana Jones German Truck Mod Progress

Post by YT » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 am

Looks great!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:42 am

Looking good...
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Your well on your way, it looks great.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 am

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

I have a stack of IJ vehicles I planned on modding someday... hope I can do as well.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Another picture of an LG63 Mercedes truck which the Indy truck comes closest too. Anyone recognize all the strange stowage and gizmos all over this truck :?: :?: I've seen that thing that looks like a pennant holder :?: :?: with the X off the left fender on several pictures but don't know what it really is. And what is in the trays along the side of the bed? I've seen that in several pictures. :?

Even has some foliage stuck in places. The opportunities for customs is endless and it doesn't look like any attempt could be deemed overly unrealistic based on no two looking alike especially considering the thousands that are NOT in pictures. :o

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lg6 ... edIndex=27

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 pm

You're off to a great start!

I love that German truck from Hasbro's Indiana Jones line. It was a nicely done piece that kept the toyish elements down to a minimum, and even in its stock form, fits wonderfully with the realistic military toys. Obviously, its a good custom bed as well. Hasbro simply did a great job on it. It seems unlikely we'll ever see that vehicle released again in realistic form, even in one of Hasbro's other toy lines.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CanberraPaul » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm

In the images on the link above I notice in one image some of the trucks have steel roofs. Does this mean the Indy Truck could be correct in having the solid roof? Although as TTT has previously pointed out that it is just a figment of some prop mans imagination and therefore should not be taken as a serious copy of any actual vehicle.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri May 03, 2013 3:53 am

Based on the dozens of photos I've now seen and the fact that thousands of these trucks were likely never photographed, I would think you could not rule out anything. The odd double stacked windshield and the somewhat short snout are about the only things that look really out of place on the original. Enough mods can distract from the shortcoming. Otherwise it sure reminds me of the LG63 as opposed to the L3000 series which only has a single rear axle. :wink:

Still curious about all the odd stuff on this last pictured truck :arrow:

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/mb/mbLG63WL-63179_X.jpg

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:56 am

I love your work Axis! Good Stuff!! 8)

I have done a few of these trucks but I really like the mods you have done like the Benz emblem and so on, it adds allot. Here are some I have done over the years.

Here is one I saw for sale awhile back on eBay, I think a board member did it, maybe Zelda but not sure. Anyway I thought it was cool.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am

Jnewboy,

I REALLY like the cut down cab with single rear axle. 8) That morfs if from an LG63 to an L3000. I actually considered that. Maybe next time. :wink:

I just don't find the grill guard on the pics I found but the logo sure is there on about all of them. I think that grill guard was just to facillitate a movie stunt during the chase seen. Some have a canvas/cloth? partial cover possibly to keep mud out or maybe for extra cold weather :?:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Here is the real one used in the movie, its on display at Disneyland in California. I shot these pics last summer.

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 am

Great work Axis Nightmare

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

Jnewboy wrote:Here is the real one used in the movie, its on display at Disneyland in California. I shot these pics last summer.

Jnewboy,
Going to Disneyland in July - Where is the truck located?
Thanks,
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 am

Razor, its just left of the Indy ride where the line begins.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 am

As I remember, the truck used in the Indy movie was a movie prop, not the actual German truck. The prop was built on the chassis of a U.S. WW2 CCKW.

There are just very few actual big WW2 German trucks around outside of museums and none available for a movie shoot. The key is the pumpkin on the rear axle, it is definitely a CCKW. Many differences between the prop and the real truck.

The Hasbro truck is a copy of the movie truck, not the real truck. Makes a great truck for us, but not for "bolt counters".

I have dealt with movie rental companies and movie directors, even famous ones, have really strange ideas what they can do with a rental "real" trucks. I was contacted years ago by a movie rental company wanting to rent 2 of my trucks. A M-37 and a M-715 for the movie "Splash". First they wanted their own stunt driver (first warning signal), so I requested to see the script to see how they wanted to use my trucks. Seems they wanted my trucks loaded with reenactors in a chase threw downtown NYC. One was to crash into a parked car and the other was to drop over a 4' wall. All this for $300 a day per vehicle for a guarantee one days work. I told them FORGETABOUTIT.... with my restored trucks?, no. After a few more guys told them no, they ended up buying two trucks to crash.

I've had good experiences with movie people, one with a beer commercial for nice money, one shoot in the Bronx for the TV show "The Equalizer", and another for the show "Miami Vice" (shoot was in Bear Mountain Park that was supposed to be in the jungle of Central America). They paid transportation and paid me $750 to paint my trucks a rusty brown and they repainted my M-37 back to green. All I had to is repaint stars and numbers.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed May 08, 2013 4:45 am

Hey Charlie,

If I were in that situation I would have said heck no myself.

Just supposed you said yes to the lend and they crashed your trucks .

Would they have said sorry about that or fixed them ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 pm

PH:

It depends on how the contract is written. a normal contract specifies that the production company is responsible for damages to the vehicles IF their drivers are driving my vehicles. I tried to drive at all times but some times my appearance gets in the way. For "Splash", I was not going to drive because the movie was to have "current military" shown. A fat old guy with a full beard would not fit in with the movie. For the "Equalizer" to truck was to sit at "Checkpoint Charlie" in "Berlin" (South Bronx standing in for Berlin) along with two M-20 Armored Cars (another collector buddy from CT). "Russian soldiers" were used but no driving. For the "Miami Vice", I fit in with a Cuban type jungle driver but in the final cut for TV, all you see is my M-37's hood, no me.

The repainting would have done by a professional auto paint shop the production company paid for. Ended up giving me some money and I repainted myself. I had the correct paint anyway.

Interesting sideline but additional work I had to refuse because of things like they kept changing shooting schedules and would call me at 5AM telling me they wanted me at Floyd Bennett field at 6:30AM, stuff like that. Driving restored vehicles in rush hour traffic in Staten Island and Brooklyn is not healthy for my babies... er... trucks. :lol: Unreliable people. Typical Hollywierd. Oh, I had a regular job and could not change day off at the drop of a hat.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.