1/18 pilot helmets?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
firefighterpilot1
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 pilot helmets?

Post by firefighterpilot1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 am

Has anyone ever made a 1/18 HGU-33 helmet? I thought I saw that someone made a figure that had that helmet style (VF-84) but I haven't seen anything but the BBI pilots most recently. I need some for a project I'm working on.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 pilot helmets?

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:43 am

There is (or was) a place called BrokenArrowToys that made little custom parts for 1:18 and GI Joe figures. They made pilot helmets, but these were based on those that came with the BBI F-18 and F-16 pilots and are not the HGU-33 style. I bought a few items from them once in 2009, including the helmets, but they were expensive, slow shipping, and didn't communicate well. They also seemed to make something, keep it in stock until it ran out, and then not make it again...

Frankly, I'd rather see something come from Pickelhaube, grunt1's 3D Shapeways printing, or even the Maruader Gun Runner's store that would work and simply be more reliable with pricing and shipping.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:There is (or was) a place called BrokenArrowToys that made little custom parts for 1:18 and GI Joe figures. They made pilot helmets, but these were based on those that came with the BBI F-18 and F-16 pilots and are not the HGU-33 style. I bought a few items from them once in 2009, including the helmets, but they were expensive, slow shipping, and didn't communicate well. They also seemed to make something, keep it in stock until it ran out, and then not make it again...

Frankly, I'd rather see something come from Pickelhaube, grunt1's 3D Shapeways printing, or even the Maruader Gun Runner's store that would work and simply be more reliable with pricing and shipping.
http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/cart/ind ... roductId=9
Price: $4.50

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Broken Arrow makes good stuff, but if you are in a hurry for the parts they are not the place for you. I have been waiting since November for an order I placed with him for 3 "in stock" parts. I have read on other boards of guys waiting a year or more for their orders. Just an FYI.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

firefighterpilot1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by firefighterpilot1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:06 pm

That's not the right style anyway, those are like the more modern HGU-55 that BBI pilots come with. (but not as good)

Thanks for trying!

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 am

The 104 starfighter's pilot will be the closest with it's HGU-22 model and MBU5 mask. The 22 shares the same shell as the 33. A little putty and scraping of the visor housing to a "gull wing" shape will do the job.
TRADE REFERENCES: tmanthegreat, Grilledcheese, Tkjaer21, Delta Team, Blacksnakes, flayrah. fast mover, evilanimation, YT, Jnewboy

TheWolf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheWolf » Sun May 19, 2013 5:53 am

The helmet type you are looking for is the same as the one that comes with the F-104